DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Super cool Summit in the San Juan mountains of Colorado, The Tea Kettle 13,800'

Karlewski

Reactions
I started this video in the middle for you guys to leave out the mountaineering and just show you all the Drone Adventure! This was the coolest summit of all my climbs last year. Ending in a class 5.4 Free solo up the final summit block!

I started this video in the middle for you guys to leave out the mountaineering and just show you all the Drone Adventure! This was the coolest summit of all my climbs last year. Ending in a class 5.4 Free solo up the final summit block!
Nice footage. Which drone did you shoot this with?

I used the Air 2, I love that little sucker! Great footage and fairly light small & portable!

A wingsuit would have been a cool way down! In fact with the first shot that is what I thought we were in for.

Looks great. It gave me a little bit of vertigo :) Thank you for sharing!

Glissading down the mega loose talas for the decent at the end was almost as quick as the wing suit if you consider setup time. It was crazy just floating down on the river of rocks and pumping my feet when they would sink to the more solid ground below.
I used to be a professional paraglider pilot and any kind of flying decent would be a dream but, getting the gear up there would be a nightmare. The worst of it is, you ARE going to launch off the summit regardless of the weather conditions. They say launching is optional but landing is mandatory. . . sound good but after lugging an extra 30lbs for 3000'. You ARE launching! LOL and may regret it. . .

Nice! My brother was doing all the "14er's" and I was contemplating seeing if I could accompany him on a few and see if I could even fly at 14,000 feet. I've flown a Phantom 4 at 12,000 feet (Loveland Pass) without too much problem, so I figured I could most likely fly at 14,000 feet?...

Hi Karl, you da man, ? wow what an amazing adventure and once again I had some goosebumps watching the video! The last section when you slipped down the scree field was breathtaking...Maybe you should have had ski ?
Thanks for sharing this insane adventure, I enjoyed every second of the video and your comments!
cheers Paul

Thanks Jack, it was a unique summit for me, not visited or documented much, making it a real adventure. . . next season I have several summits in mind in the area similar to this. . . technical climbing summits.
I have flown my Mavic Air 2 at altitudes well over 14K many times as seen in a bunch of my videos, I do see Max Prop Speed warnings and huge winds at ridge tops, saddles and canyons, venturis. Be cautious and stay up wind until you can fully see what the wind is doing above the terrain, checking your ground speed and telemetry will tell you. If your drone is leaning much while stationary, you are in some wind. I've had some intense moments trying to land when the wind really pick up, always come home with some extra battery if it is rough so you can wait out variable wind gusts. Trying to land in a hurried panic is a mistake unless you are SURE things are only getting worse fast. Also be aware of wilderness areas, many 14ers are in those areas. Google wilderness maps to verify borders. . .
Happy Flying Brothers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial