DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Super Weird Crash broke my gimbal back support

Your gimbal may not be a gimbal it may just be an expensive small camera holder now. Have you tried starting the mavic since the crash? When I crashed mine the gimbal didn't work anymore, it went through the startup process and then just pointed downward. I empathize with your loss and hopefully you will be more patient prior to lifting off. Fortunately no person was injured.

I took it for one more flight after that in a more opens area and the gimbal worked fine but it was a short flight so I really don't know if flying against wind and all if the camera will be steady I going to test it later.

I agree thanks a lot for your time and analysis! In your experience is this a matter that is covered by DJI Care?

No problem my friend. I hope you have good luck in getting the gimbal sorted out quickly.

Rob

Reactions: ballitogb
No problem my friend. I hope you have good luck in getting the gimbal sorted out quickly.

Rob

This is what broke

9dcfa15d653eba6263c261fcab721def.jpg

Your gimbal may not be a gimbal it may just be an expensive small camera holder now. Have you tried starting the mavic since the crash? When I crashed mine the gimbal didn't work anymore, it went through the startup process and then just pointed downward. I empathize with your loss and hopefully you will be more patient prior to lifting off. Fortunately no person was injured.

Hey, just wanted to show you my Sunday test flight after the accident maybe you can give me your opinion

Hey guys wanted to show you my test flight after the accident, DJI wants me to send it in for repair but just shipping it's 300 dollars, do y'all think it's worth it? Should I send it? My Mavic Pro it's only a couple of months old so may be it is worth it?

I would suggest doing it yourself for $20 US$ I took a picture of the mavic top and bottom and laid them on a table and put the screws on the pictures so that they went back in the same place, took me about 2 hours, yes I did take my time but found that worked out fine, it is my first drone and I did not take the DJI care because I did not like the idea of maybe getting a refurbished unit because that was a possibility, took the chance, but in my case the crash I had breaking the same part you have broken was all my fault.

Mine almost didn't survive something similar.
I flew mine from my back-yard numerous times. 30 times, maybe? Anyway, I went out, fired up the bird and waited. Everything was green. All systems go. I powered up the blades and gave a couple of seconds to settle again. Then, I hit the "let's see how the air feels" stick and sent up. The bird immediately flew towards a tree at 2 feet off the ground and was rising. I pulled back on the stick and nothing doing...she kept looking to kill herself against a tree. I pulled both sticks back. I figured at less than 4 feet, she may not be pretty, she'll be better off on the ground going backwards than implanting itself in the side of a tree. Sticks were useless. She the flew backwards and to the right going faster and faster towards my house finally sticking her nose into the bricks hard enough to crack my lens. NOT HAPPY.
I went to a friend who works for a DJI store and has hundreds of hours with the sticks. We watched the map and stick controls on the play back from within the app. It didn't take a new RTH point and until it hit the wall, we noticed that the GPS home point was inside my house on the other side of the house I'm not even able to go to. We believe it was trying to go to it's home point. But why, we don't know. The interesting thing is that you can see it had 16 satellites and it was green and synced. There are no large or even small metal objects in my back yard to worry about "interference". So...why did this happen? NO CLUE.

I do have to send it to DJI. After looking at all the data (there was no video as I was only going to record after getting into the air), he believes I have a good case for a new drone...at least the gimbal...at not cost. We'll see when I get time to get it sent back.

Mine almost didn't survive something similar.
I flew mine from my back-yard numerous times. 30 times, maybe? Anyway, I went out, fired up the bird and waited. Everything was green. All systems go. I powered up the blades and gave a couple of seconds to settle again. Then, I hit the "let's see how the air feels" stick and sent up. The bird immediately flew towards a tree at 2 feet off the ground and was rising. I pulled back on the stick and nothing doing...she kept looking to kill herself against a tree. I pulled both sticks back. I figured at less than 4 feet, she may not be pretty, she'll be better off on the ground going backwards than implanting itself in the side of a tree. Sticks were useless. She the flew backwards and to the right going faster and faster towards my house finally sticking her nose into the bricks hard enough to crack my lens. NOT HAPPY.
I went to a friend who works for a DJI store and has hundreds of hours with the sticks. We watched the map and stick controls on the play back from within the app. It didn't take a new RTH point and until it hit the wall, we noticed that the GPS home point was inside my house on the other side of the house I'm not even able to go to. We believe it was trying to go to it's home point. But why, we don't know. The interesting thing is that you can see it had 16 satellites and it was green and synced. There are no large or even small metal objects in my back yard to worry about "interference". So...why did this happen? NO CLUE.

I do have to send it to DJI. After looking at all the data (there was no video as I was only going to record after getting into the air), he believes I have a good case for a new drone...at least the gimbal...at not cost. We'll see when I get time to get it sent back.

Sorry to hear about your bird, hope you sort it soon.
Strange you should mention that I did a flight about 1 klm from my home and when I got home I also checked the flight path and guess what, I did not switch my Mavic on until I got to the take off site, after looking at the plan I saw that the flight started at my home, IF I had used RTH it would have gone to my home and I suspect tried to go in through the roof, will have to do some more checking on this, in the meantime I do not think I will not use RTH for a while, anybody else having this problem ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer