DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Survey: Propellers

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes ....

Crashes shouldn't happen. They are avoidable.

I doubt anyone would argue with that. That's just common sense. However, just because something is avoidable and shouldn't happen doesn't mean it won't ever happen. Whether or not you've experienced it, crashing is a part of flying quads. That doesn't mean you have to crash, it just means that it's a possibility.

If you're always cautious and fly slowly you shouldn't ever crash, but some folks don't fly that way. Nothing wrong with pushing it as long as you do it in a safe place. Heck, even if you're flying with all the care in the world, a hardware failure will give you a one-way ticket to mother earth real quick.

The main issue with crashes is location. If you're flying on your own property and want to push it to the limits and possibly crash, well, that's your prerogative. I don't see how that has any effect on the reputation of the industry. Being stupid and crashing on property that isn't yours is a different story. That should always be done with caution and care.

Racing quads are a different matter and I agree that crashes are almost essential if you are to push the envelope and become a top quad racer. I also agree with rajun50's comment that crashes within the bounds of your own property are unlikely to create bad headlines.

However, most people are not fortunate enough to have sufficient land to fly recklessly and are forced to take there quads to open and public spaces. Even if you are operating on your own land, at 50mph and 20+ minutes flying time, you will need a huge property to avoid contact with innocent bystanders!

We don't accept that crashing a car is inevitable or cool. So why propagate the idea that drones are so hard to fly that drone crashes are unavoidable?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Ya'll need prop guards if your bumping into things that often. Ive never came close to hitting anything before because the mavic hovers still and self brakes .

if u have basic quad skills from flying toy quads u could easily go a lifetime without crashing a mavic. Keep it above everything if u need too and never fly indoors without pGuards.

My best advice is by yourself a 55$ Syma X8W off Amazon and fly that around for practice. Once you master that bird you will look at ur mavic in a new light. The x8 is a full size phantom replica that uses large 2s lipo batts and can fly about a mile after u simply replace the antennas with wifi 2.4ghz 6-9db antennas. Its a very common mod and its most popular budget grade phantom size drone out there. It can take severe beatings. I have 3 and they all run great after countless crashes on concrete etc. order the 2 antennas for 10$ when u order the x8 ...

I think that some of you need to know the history of @Bill Debevc . He post a few weeks back when he first received his Mavic that fences/trees seemed to be jumping out in front of him and some of us here were quite harsh on him. As I stated earlier, @Bill Debevc seems to really enjoy flying his Mavic, he may not be the best pilot nor would I want to fly with him, but all in all he's having fun and not harming anyone. Keep buying props @Bill Debevc and enjoy it! After all the Mavic is a "big boys" toy.

I think that some of you need to know the history of @Bill Debevc . He post a few weeks back when he first received his Mavic that fences/trees seemed to be jumping out in front of him and some of us here were quite harsh on him. As I stated earlier, @Bill Debevc seems to really enjoy flying his Mavic, he may not be the best pilot nor would I want to fly with him, but all in all he's having fun and not harming anyone. Keep buying props @Bill Debevc and enjoy it! After all the Mavic is a "big boys" toy.

Yup, I dont think anyone's having a go at Bill though, he's just a bit lapsadaisical with his flying!

I crashed 2 birds in half an hour. The first one was a P3A that I brought down in a different place then I thought it was in and clipped a branch. The P3A was destroyed. The second was a Typhoon H and this bird crashed as I was trying to do the same as the first flight but I was walking behind the H. While the H is a stable bird it reacts very slowly to inputs and drifts a lot in turns. It is best for flying over trees and in large fields not on wide trails. The H is back up flying and because of the crash I got a P4 and the Mavic that arrives next week. I look forward to learning from everyone.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but here goes ....

Crashes shouldn't happen. They are avoidable.

I've been flying as a hobby and now more recently commercially for about two years. I have flown the Phantom vision 2, Inspire 1, Inspire 2 and now the Mavic. I have flown off cliff tops, over water falls, inside buildings and off ships. The only props I have replaced were routine replacements at 50 flight hours on the I1.

I have clocked up over 100 document flying hours. No crashes, no contact with anything other than the landing mat.

The reputation of this industry is bad enough without people propagating the idea that crashes are inevitable or in some way cool.

Started writing, but then deleted it. Discovered that I was judging this dude just like he was judging Bob. Sometimes there are just no words....

Reactions: Anthony Viscomi
We don't accept that crashing a car is inevitable or cool. So why propagate the idea that drones are so hard to fly that drone crashes are unavoidable?
Comparing a car crash to crashing a toy :confused: If he is crashing his drone (Mavic) in his own backyard or in solitude somewhere, what harm is being done?

Reactions: larkin
I was not judging anyone just stating that accidents can happen no matter how long you have flown.

I wish I had a good story like Bob's, but I had a tiny incident yesterday. The day before I was practicing hand catching (for when I'm on a hike) and was using the method of turning off the downward vision sensors. Worked great for me by the way. So flying yesterday, I was bringing the Mavic down slowly, but it never stopped at the 2 foot height it normally does prior to landing completely. Having forgotten to turn on downward sensors before flying, the Mavic did a very slight bounce on the driveway, maybe 1 inch bounce, but chipped a rear prop in the process. Unavoidable accident, I know. Just throwing that out there before I get scolded by @FlyPro. Such a lame story compared to Bob's travails! Just throwing out a lesson learned so others can avoid my mistake!

I was right, shot up in flames :-(

Eating humble pie as we speak.

I'm off to see if I can have a crash too, it sounds like fun!

Now, what should I use, Mavic, I1 or I2 ?

Decisions, decisions!

About this much

2a34627a25eecbc1489714ef50d6a265.jpg
Yippeess!

Most of the props broken lately where indoors, and all without the white circle. The one in the photo above was a couple weeks ago. What I have found indoors is you need to launch from a spot that has different patterns on the ground. The camera get lost on carpet. The last one was landing the the desert after exploring the red rocks, not red rock canyon there are others on BLM land. I landed in a spot where the gravel wasn't as flat as I thought.

45bf71c4fe992f4c496e353c8fc511f4.jpg

Most of the props broken lately where indoors, and all without the white circle. The one in the photo above was a couple weeks ago. What I have found indoors is you need to launch from a spot that has different patterns on the ground. The camera get lost on carpet. The last one was landing the the desert after exploring the red rocks, not red rock canyon there are others on BLM land. I landed in a spot where the gravel wasn't as flat as I thought.

45bf71c4fe992f4c496e353c8fc511f4.jpg

Wow! I wish we had scenery like that to fly around!

Grey, overcast & cold, that's the terrain in the UK at the moment.

I have some experience with RC helis and simple drones, and understand that crashes will happen. It seems quite hard to crash a Mavic/P4P/Inspire unintentionally. How about enumerating things that can lead to a crash:

- turning sensors off.
- flying within small spaces (e.g., indoors).
- flying backwards (no sensors in the back).
- ??

Are forward sensors good enough to prevent a crash? Everybody would learn something If a crash report would include why it happened and what can be done to avoid it next time.

Maybe there are two modes to fly a Mavic:
a) for filming/photo purpose (safe)
b) for "sport" purpose (more fun to fly, but more crash-prone)

Taking your preference for whites to BLM land...

that's what I heard you say.

72 flight miles..

0 damage to props

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... I landed in a spot where the gravel wasn't as flat as I thought.

+1 i had an issue landing on a spot that wasnt as flat as i had anticipated too...i barely saved it from tipping over.

I think the Mavic requires extra care when landing; maybe it is a good idea to make a landing pad after all. I just dont like the idea of hauling one around i guess.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR