DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sydney couple catch drone spying on them from fifth floor balcony

BTW, I recently purchased a Nikon P900 camera that has an 83x zoom on it (after seeing some comments about it on this forum). The stuff this camera can see is un-real. I actually feel like a creep using it for anything other than birds or my kids. I can snap photos from people so far away, they cannot see me, or the fact that I'm holding a camera. And I can make out what kind of earrings they're wearing.

A lot of people have no idea about focal length and assume that because the camera on the TV news crew helicopter can zoom in for a close up, then so can every camera mounted on a flying brick.

BTW, I recently purchased a Nikon P900 camera that has an 83x zoom on it (after seeing some comments about it on this forum). The stuff this camera can see is un-real. I actually feel like a creep using it for anything other than birds or my kids. I can snap photos from people so far away, they cannot see me, or the fact that I'm holding a camera. And I can make out what kind of earrings they're wearing.

To me, THAT is much more of an invasion of privacy concern than some non-zoom-equipped, noisy aerial platform. But again, logic isn't in the cards, I'm afraid.

Not to go too far off topic, but here's what I mean... Picture of radio tower with no zoom... Can you see the bulb at the top of the tower?

View attachment 15002

Taken from the same location, 2000mm zoom, no tripod:

View attachment 15003

THIS is the stuff these privacy-worried people should be fearing.

Is it one of the so-called gygapixel cameras, or is it just one with a freakin' powerful zoom?

Actually you will be surprised how much you can see on a Mavic, Use the zoom function (yes i know it is digital not optical) but i have taken a shot of a large building at 500m on zoom function and getting home when zooming and cropping the pic you will be pretty surprised at what you can see with it. I was a little shocked at the detail i could pick out.

Having said that, can not beat a cannon 5D MK4 with a sports lens lol. The Cannon also optimizes the zoom to give you that little extra. (well you can beat it but only if you rich lol).

so 2000mm becomes only a 1000mm needed.

Is it one of the so-called gygapixel cameras, or is it just one with a freakin' powerful zoom?

No, it's not a gigapixel camera. In fact, the image sensor on the P900, at 1/2.3", is actually smaller than the ones found on some flagship cell phones. And it's only 16MP. So it has pretty poor low-light performance, and photos cannot be printed much beyond 8"x10" without seeing the pixel limits. But, it is because of that small sensor size, that the focal depth equivalency is so powerful. The actual focal range is 4.3mm to 357mm. But that is the equivalent of a 24mm to 2000mm lens on a 35mm (full frame) DSLR. For comparison, this is a 200mm to 600mm SIGMA lens. Weighs 35lbs and has a price tag of $26k.

main-qimg-6986fadec4fe3a1ba3a39e53d49111d7.webp

Reactions: Vilco
No, it's not a gigapixel camera. In fact, the image sensor on the P900, at 1/2.3", is actually smaller than the ones found on some flagship cell phones. And it's only 16MP. So it has pretty poor low-light performance, and photos cannot be printed much beyond 8"x10" without seeing the pixel limits. But, it is because of that small sensor size, that the focal depth equivalency is so powerful. The actual focal range is 4.3mm to 357mm. But that is the equivalent of a 24mm to 2000mm lens on a 35mm (full frame) DSLR. For comparison, this is a 200mm to 600mm SIGMA lens. Weighs 35lbs and has a price tag of $26k.

main-qimg-6986fadec4fe3a1ba3a39e53d49111d7.webp

Your best bet for a 2m+ focal length on a full frame lens is probably a Schmidt-Cassegrain OTA, They're light, small-ish, and cheap, but their aperture is rather poor at ~f/10: Celestron - Optical Tubes - C8-A XLT (CG-5) Optical Tube Assembly

Pop it on a nice mount though and you can gaze at the stars to your hearts content, as well as anyone a few km over. ;)

Reactions: erkme73
Without a doubt, a camera connected to a telescope is a workable solution for similar (or better) range. What's amazing (to me) is that this P900 is not much bigger than a conventional point & shoot. You can easily blend into a crown, or be hidden in plane sight. And with the ability to go from a rather wide 24mm all the way to 2000mm is just icing. I was literally watching sunspots during the day (with solar film) and the moons of Jupiter by night - w/o tripod. Anyway, my apologies to the OP for going off the rails on his thread. Still, seeing these capabilities should help put lens on all hobby-grade drones into proper perspective.

Reactions: ccarnot
And even if the allegations are proven true, the logic behind banning or regulating drones would be akin to banning autos since they may be used as a getaway vehicles in bank robberies. Criminals will use whatever tools are available to them to commit their crimes. Laws and rules simply don't apply (that's why they are called criminals, after all). But accepting this logical truism is very difficult when emotions are intentionally manipulated by titillating stories.

To me, THAT is much more of an invasion of privacy concern than some non-zoom-equipped, noisy aerial platform. But again, logic isn't in the cards, I'm afraid.

Not to go too far off topic, but here's what I mean... Picture of radio tower with no zoom... Can you see the bulb at the top of the tower?

View attachment 15002

Taken from the same location, 2000mm zoom, no tripod:

View attachment 15003

THIS is the stuff these privacy-worried people should be fearing.

I've had my eye on that camera for a while but I just can't justify buying another one. I'd love it though! The videos showing off the zoom on youtune are unreal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21