DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attitudes towards drones

Quite ironic when I go out with my DSLR with it's 150-600mm lens and no one batters an eye, but as soon as I go to fly my Mavic 2 Pro they start to frown, seriously the M2P is a fixed focus whilst the Nikon has a possible zoom of 850mm on a DX but that doesn't bother them at all.
I blame the over zealous media, the very same media companies that use Drones daily for their news reports, double standards in my opinion!

Quite ironic when I go out with my DSLR with it's 150-600mm lens and no one batters an eye, but as soon as I go to fly my Mavic 2 Pro they start to frown, seriously the M2P is a fixed focus whilst the Nikon has a possible zoom of 850mm on a DX but that doesn't bother them at all.
I blame the over zealous media, the very same media companies that use Drones daily for their news reports, double standards in my opinion!
Great Point!

Hey I fly a drone and if people talk to
me do the same as another poster, land and show them the tech. Had my share of wows.

But. Try and walk down a busy beach in summer with an SLR and a long lens and people will glare at you turn away.

I’ve had two neighbors (different properties) complain about me over flying. I guess paranoid that I am spying on them and taking photos. One I have never overflown and have literally never seen through my screen. But I have changed my flight path to avoid them completely.

There was a comment in a local rag when I flew over a beach. The assumption was I was shooting young women in bikinis. I actually was shooting waves, some surfers who waved and a top view of a couple of brightly colored RIBs. But the young woman on a towel nearby may have thought something else. Never took her picture.

The Other thing is they are a little noisy and it is in the piss you off range if you are not interested in tech. So others just don’t like the noise.

I wouldn’t rant too much. Respect privacy and mostly fly clear of people. Understand that if people aren’t into drones the sound is annoying and people legitimately don’t want to be photoed. Never take pics of children without expressed consent.

I Get it about iPhones everywhere But there is a presumption that the tricky drone is like Holiwood scenes and gets real close. As I said walk around with an SLR and long lens and you may get a similar reaction.

Good article. As Nfhill said, some light editing would be in order, but the points are great.
Here (in the US) I get more people either indifferent (at least seeming to be) or curious when I'm out flying. I'll invite them over and show them the screen and even invite them to take the sticks (above 100'). I use it as a time to educate so they'll see that the risk of invasion or harm is very, very low. I actually had one woman say "oh, wait. There's no way you can spy on someone with this. I can barely see the people on the ground". That is the point of my invitation to look and fly the aircraft.

Reactions: yorkie9668
Great article I have been a model aircraft flier for many years Decided to fly a quad for the convenience of being able to use the camera I have many friends in the model aircraft fraternity who also look down on drone fliers I hate the word Drone I think this also gives us negativity from the public who associate this with military use.

Plus they can take a picture in candle light w/o flash. The only noise my DSLR makes is from the mirror. I also have a Canon point and shoot with 21x zoom. If I wanted to spy on someone I wouldn't use the Mavic with the prop noise and flashing lights.

I’ve been an amateur photographer for years - since around 1990 and have sometimes enjoyed taking candids in the street as well as landscapes, sports and whatever else captures my eye.

However I’d probably never try to use my drone to photograph people as the sound the drone makes draws attention if you get it anywhere near enough to photograph anyone making a candid impossible. Also if I flew it close enough to cause anyone to appear as the actual subject rather than part of the background I’d be breaking the law unless it was with their consent and prior knowledge. And not in a street environment!

If there are people in the frame on footage taken from my drone then they are not going to be the subject but are more a part of the general scene. Although sometimes a person is useful in the frame to show scale. Does this mean I’m filming people with my drone? It depends on your viewpoint I think.

Personally I’d rather try to fly in a way that raises the least suspicion if it’s not limiting what I want to film. And if anyone asks about it I’ll happily show them my screen whilst airborne so they can see the view and how small figures appear in the frame. I think it would surprise them how little detail of people you can actually see.

Reactions: Flynz
Hmmmm I just checked also, also not there for me now.
I think as a new commentor, it may be a mod thing.
I was merely saying well written, balanced, and people concerned about hobbyist drone pilots should approach a pilot and speak to them, most will be more than happy to show people what it’s really all about.

Hmmmm I just checked also, also not there for me now.
I think as a new commentor, it may be a mod thing.
I was merely saying well written, balanced, and people concerned about hobbyist drone pilots should approach a pilot and speak to them, most will be more than happy to show people what it’s really all about.
I can see it now! Thanks for leaving a positive comment :)

Ultimately I wish anyone who had any concerns would just come up and ask me about it. I'm sure I'm easy enough to identify as the pilot being nearby and clutching a controller and looking up into the sky. I'm sure anyone with an even half open mind would be set at ease if they just came over for a chat. I think it would soon become clear my motives are not anything to be worried about. I don't think I look that dodgy or unapproachable!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I stumbled across an article on the Hastings Online Times (HOT) website about drones last week purely by accident which caught my eye. The author has written many interesting articles on local issues, however as I read this one and the comments people had left on the subject I became increasingly surprised by the negative attitudes and irrational hatred and distrust being expressed at these devices. I began to write a reply of my own to give an alternative viewpoint, however the more I wrote the more I realised a simple reply wouldn’t even begin to cover it, and so it’s in this context that this piece has been written. HOT themselves helpfully suggested I submitted this as a separate article and so this is what I've done. Hopefully it should be published soon. What do you think? I know it's almost certainly too long - I'm rubbish at being concise! Having said that if I've missed anything please let me know!!! Otherise, too strong? About right? Not strong enough?

You can read the original article I was responding to here:

Drone rage

As a drone flier for the last two months after much saving and researching I’m amazed by the level of hate directed at these devices. I understand and respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but so much of it seems to be knee jerk reaction to media headlines and fear of being snooped on rather than based on reasoned thinking. The facts are the vast majority of drone fliers are responsible people who go out of their way to be considerate and not risk their own hobby by bringing it into disrepute. There’s always a few exceptions like the idiot who flew over Gatwick last year. But this is not the norm. Anyone can buy a car and drive it on the public highway. Some motorists break the law and speed, or drive whilst on their phones, or tailgate and are a nuisance or even a safety risk. Should we ban cars? Of course not. I’ll attempt to give a balanced view of the comments I read the most often about drones and which are cited in the replies to the article in question.

1. ‘Drones are an invasion of privacy’. This seems to be the most common issue expressed. So let’s look at this logically. If I go walking on the hills and I see you, am I invading your privacy? No. If I use my phone or even a camera to take a picture of the landscape and you are in it (try taking a picture of almost any Sussex beauty spot with not a soul in it!) then am I invading your privacy? No. You are in a public place and as such are visible to any other member of the public. If I now use a drone to take that same scene from an elevated viewpoint to clear some trees and bins and other clutter, and for a more interesting perspective am I now invading your privacy any more than from ground level? Of course not. I have no interest in what you are doing. In the nicest possible way and with the greatest respect, do you really think you’re that interesting that anyone would want to spy on you? There seems to be a commonly held opinion that just because you might see a drone nearby it must be spying on you. Indeed even in the text of the original article the author states: ‘whoever was operating it, actually hovered it in the sky over our heads, presumably filming or viewing us’. Presumably? This is a huge assumption on which the whole article is based. And then to write about that in the public domain causing people to believe that that’s what it must have been doing is not right in my view. It may well have been watching the author, I’m not in a position to know. However it’s much more likely that it wasn’t. Even if one seems to be hovering nearby it’s most likely not looking at you but is more likely looking horizontally at the scene and the owner is likely checking exposure or focus before taking a picture you don’t feature in. I can promise you that almost all drone owners haven’t spent their good money just to go snooping on everyone they come across. They’ve spent it to further pursue their hobby and interest and open up new creative avenues. Modern life is filled with far more common examples of what could be perceived to be an invasion of privacy that we just don’t seem to notice anymore as they are so commonplace. Traffic enforcement cameras, the much more subtle traffic flow monitoring cameras, CCTV in almost all urban environments, availability of personal information including address details online from sites like 192.com. Yet we don’t take issue or seem to have such strong opinions about many of these because they are commonplace and no longer catch our attention. The occasional low-flying microlight or paraglider only raises glances of admiration and interest, never do I read that the pilots must be spying on us. It seems that because drones are still not an everyday sight, we are not used to them and hence we notice them more when we do see one. We are more wary of it and it’s human nature to be wary of the unknown. But this doesn’t automatically mean that there is some shady reason for it being there.

2. ‘They should all be shot down’. Why? I’ve overheard this one first hand last week when I was out flying - I’ll get to that in a minute. Do you really think it’s ok to destroy someone else’s property just because you don’t personally like it? You’re actually saying it’s ok to destroy someone’s things because you feel like it? If I didn’t like the colour of your car or thought it was too polluting with it’s big engine does this make it ok for me to smash it up or set fire to it? Of course it doesn’t. But using the ‘shoot it down’ logic this would be perfectly acceptable. And if you were to shoot it down, where’s it going to land? You would cause it to crash and possibly cause an accident.

3. ‘Purchasers should show good reason to have one’. A hobby-grade drone weighs about 500g to 1kg for a really expensive one, usually less, typically flies around 35mph max and a battery lasts for 25 minutes at the most. A car weighs 1-2 tonnes, can go over 100mph and can travel for many hours on a tank. A car can do a lot more damage than a drone. Many people are killed every day on the roads. I don’t believe anyone has ever been killed or even injured by a hobby-grade drone. Should we therefore make sure all car purchasers can show a justifiable reason to own a car before they’re allowed to own one? If privacy is the concern then should ladders be banned from sale without good reason in case your neighbour can look over your garden fence? Or how about cameras? They can capture images of people out and about. Should we require anyone buying a camera – or even a phone with a camera – to provide proof of why they need it? For cameras, is a hobby of photography not a good enough reason? That’s usually what people buy drones for too. They’re just a camera that can reach more interesting angles.

4. ‘There should be gun-style licences for public ownership’. To liken a drone to a gun is completely irrational. A gun is designed purely to inflict damage and destruction on whatever you shoot it at. A drone is designed to bring harmless creative opportunities to it’s owner. However just like so many other things there is the potential for misuse if not used responsibly. In these cases it’s not the device that’s at fault, it’s down to the way it’s used. Of course there will always be a small minority who may not respect the rules or fly considerately. I do therefore agree with the need for there to be some form of registration and licensing in the same way as for cars. The CAA has now launched a drone registration service which is mandatory after the end of November 2019 for all drone pilots of drones weighing more than 250 grams in the UK. There are 20 questions to determine good knowledge of the rules you need to abide by as a pilot and you receive a Flyer ID and an Operator ID. The Flyer ID is your confirmation that you achieved a good level of competency and knowledge in the test and your Operator ID identifies you and must be displayed on all drones you fly. Hopefully this requirement will weed out many who may buy a drone casually and not abide by the rules. Rules which are now included in the packaging of almost all drones you can buy in this country and encourage even better practice by making pilots aware of their responsibilities whilst airborne. I have passed this test and have my IDs displayed on my drone as I’m a responsible pilot, just like the majority.

I was actually flying my drone in the hills near Hastings last week just as the sun was rising. It was a beautiful morning and I wanted to try to capture the beauty of the place in the best light. As I was setting up an elderly gentleman out walking his dog stopped and began chatting to me. He was really interested in my drone and watched fascinated as I took off and began to shoot some frosty landscape views. As we chatted and I let him see the controller screen so he could see the view for himself a couple of other elderly gents walking their dogs joined us, friends of the first chap it transpired. They were all interested and found it wonderful to be able to see the beauty of the cliffs by looking back at them from over the sea. As I brought the drone back closer three elderly ladies walked past. One of them noticed the drone hovering off to the side and as they walked away I heard her say to her friends ‘There’s one of those drones, they should all be shot down if you ask me’. The gents I was with were as surprised as I was. I was doing no harm, not invading anyone’s privacy and not causing a nuisance. Even the noise was minimal as you can only hear it when under 50 metres away and most of the time it’s over this and constantly moving, anyone would only ever hear it quietly and for a few seconds. Any passing car causes much more of a racket. I politely asked the lady why she thought this and she just said ‘They’re an invasion of privacy‘. I indicated that I wasn't invading her privacy here in this public place, but she repeated ‘they’re an invasion of privacy, that’s my opinion and I won’t change it’. She seems to see the drone as the physical manifestation of the very concept of invasion of privacy. Yet we were in a public place and I could see her much better up close as she walked past than I could ever see with the tiny wide angle lens on my drone which is designed for taking in huge vistas. I left wondering to myself what had caused this lady to form her opinion and regard what is just a creative tool with such contempt...
View attachment 86562

It was not clear from your post if you already submitted your text. If you want to increase the chance someone reads it, PLEASE PUT IN SOME PARAGRAPH BREAKS... looking at over about 5 lines of continuous text per paragraph makes me prone to just stop reading.

It was not clear from your post if you already submitted your text. If you want to increase the chance someone reads it, PLEASE PUT IN SOME PARAGRAPH BREAKS... looking at over about 5 lines of continuous text per paragraph makes me prone to just stop reading.
He posted the link to the article in a followup post in this thread. Their editors addressed the white space issue.

it does not really matter how many people own a drone ,there will always be someone who requires the services of a professional drone pilot, with the equipment to provide it

Agreed. There is much, much more to doing professional drone work than flying around taking a few photos and videos. Pros often use high end equipment and cameras having invested tens and often hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment, training, insurance, safety programs and software. The guy who takes a few real estate photos and videos with his Mavic is not going to get the enterprise, commercial and industrial jobs that the pros do.

Reactions: old man mavic
Django 18, as others have said, edit your article down somewhat and format the sentences and paragraphs structure.

Your response to the article is very well thought out and appropriate.

My personal experience is the public is on a spectrum of curiosity through indifference to total dislike. The curious are willing to learn, the indifferent go about their business and the dislikers will maintain their view regardless of the facts to the contrary.

The media exposed the public to the term "drones" when the military started using them for surveillance and war. When I got my first AC back in 2013 I used the term "quadcopter"....much less of an emotional term.

Using opportunities to be good ambassadors for our hobby is well worth it.

Agreed. I think a big reason for the negative reaction from some of the public is the association of the word drone with military drones that ARE designed to spy and kill. That coupled with sensationalist media reports every time a manned aircraft pilot thinks they've seen a drone near an airport helps to keep this misconception alive.

But I was around when personal computers first started to take off back in the late 70's and I see a lot of parallels. The first few years there was a lot of the same baseless fears from people who didn't understand them. This fear mostly came from how computers had generally been portrayed in movies through the 50's, 60's and 70's - as evil, artificial entities bent on human destruction. The most infamous was the HAL 9000 in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

As we all know, eventually the fear subsided and they're now accepted and commonplace. I can see this eventually happening with drones.

I had a reply on the HOT site to my article by one of the commenters on the original article.

Very polite but pointing out the possibility for misuse and expressing the need for licencing (registration?). Perfectly fair points. I've replied to her comment as below - which should appear once the moderators have reviewed it:

"I agree with you as I mentioned in the article. Some form of registration to make owners accountable and traceable is definitely required as drones become more popular, just as for cars. That’s now law as of the end of November. Hopefully adherence by the responsible majority to this requirement will go a long way to alleviating the possibly understandable reaction to be wary and suspicious of such unfamiliar devices. Most drone pilots will be very happy to chat to you and show you what they’re filming if you approach them and ask them nicely. We love talking about our hobby!"

In the US and my personal experiences after several years of flying UAS' is that they're generally thought of as "cool" and not hated by the general public. Most people I encounter are fascinated and polite. I believe the "haters" are a tiny fraction of people who are very vocal and are using the web to voice they're unpopular opinions which makes it easy for us to find.

ROFLMAO! Not in my neighborhood! Most who see my drone throw me an "offensive" gesture & that is when I am flying over 100' high. I have a video of 2 little girls throwing rocks at my MP @ over 100' high. Where did they learn to hate drones? Parents? Pilgrim Pilot? Who knows, but I don't fly much in my neighborhood because of the nastiness...

I have seen first happens when a dog sees a drone. I have a pit bull and a drone. I am an outcast from society. When he broke that leash I knew their was nothing I could do. I upgraded to a boat tie down for a leash.

Most of the drone flyers in this video are the ones we don't want to acknowledge as part of our drone world. They need to wake up & think. Most of these animals could be seriously injured from the props! Why on earth would you want to fly a drone that close to any animal or are you just stupid?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1