DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablets "WITH" gps or without

chazzm

Reactions
Does it really make any difference if you use a tablet that doesn't have gps in it?? I've gotten mixed answers off and on with this question, does anyone have experience with using non gps tablets? Some swear that your tablet must have it and others say it doesn't really matter. And the problem or my problem is I currently do not have anything that doesn't have gps to check it out with!!??!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I use and iPad mini wifi, without GPS and it works fine. You just won't get the map, but the radar still works.

Reactions: chazzm
If GPS is a concern, just use you cell phone as a mobile "hotspot" and connect your tablet to it. Problem solved!

I use an Ipad Mini 2 as well as the NVida Shield and the mini does not have cellular so no GPS internally either. It works perfect except for no GPS Map displayed. I can hotspot through my phone for that mapping information or "cache" the maps by opening the map application when I am at home and connected to WiFi and then putting in the destination that I plan on flying . Then it just loads the map data and when I get to the intended flying location it uses that map data.

Lots of ways to skin a cat

I use an Ipad Mini 2 as well as the NVida Shield and the mini does not have cellular so no GPS internally either. It works perfect except for no GPS Map displayed. I can hotspot through my phone for that mapping information or "cache" the maps by opening the map application when I am at home and connected to WiFi and then putting in the destination that I plan on flying . Then it just loads the map data and when I get to the intended flying location it uses that map data.

Lots of ways to skin a cat
Even if your iPad is a cellular model with GPS you will still not have maps unless you cache them first while on a wifi connection. The point of having the GPS in the tablet is if you want to use the follow me feature or need to be able to manually reset the home point to your current location after taking off.

Reactions: Toto
It is fine without a GPS. If the tablet has a GPS, it allows you to manually set the RTH point to where YOU are standing with the controller. It is a function in the DJI Go 4 app. When you set the home point to where you are standing (lets say you are on a boat and moving) it will use the GPS in the tablet to set that point. Not a deal breaker but a good feature. If you don't have the GPS chip, you can takeoff from your boat and it will set the home point to where the drone is right now based on the drones GPS location however if YOU move, the drone will RTH back to where you used to be ! LOTS of low end Android tablets have integrated GPS chips. Neutech, Acer Iconia etc and all in the $ 50ish dollar range. So, it is definitely something I would look for but not a deal breaker.

As stated by another poster here, the follow-me will not work either as it needs to know where you are. The GPS receiver is in the drone and not in the handheld controller. To follow YOU, it must use the GPS coordinates generated by the GPS chip in your tablet.

Reactions: evereddie
Does it really make any difference if you use a tablet that doesn't have gps in it?? I've gotten mixed answers off and on with this question, does anyone have experience with using non gps tablets? Some swear that your tablet must have it and others say it doesn't really matter. And the problem or my problem is I currently do not have anything that doesn't have gps to check it out with!!??!
Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you're referring to GPS only, and NOT cellular, then in my opinion, GPS is NOT necessary unless you want to use follow-me mode. That, to me, is the only reason to have GPS in your tablet.

If you want maps without having to use the "cache" method, then you'll need to have cellular service on your tablet, or fly in an area where you'll have wifi signal (for wifi only or wifi and cellular tablet) to retrieve map data/info.

I've been using my ipad mini 2 successfully (wifi only - No GPS and no Cellular).

If GPS is a concern, just use you cell phone as a mobile "hotspot" and connect your tablet to it. Problem solved!
You cannot share GPS data like this if that's what you're suggesting.

You cannot share GPS data like this if that's what you're suggesting.
Correct cellular or "assisted GPS" can not be shared. I was more or less referring to the "caching" of maps. It should also be noted that on the earlier version of the cellular iPad's, the user did not need to activate the service with a provider and the GPS feature(s) would still function. Not sure if that's the case now.

Correct cellular or "assisted GPS" can not be shared. I was more or less referring to the "caching" of maps. It should also be noted that on the earlier version of the cellular iPad's, the user did not need to activate the service with a provider and the GPS feature(s) would still function. Not sure if that's the case now.

What about using a Garmin Portable Bluetooth GPS module with the tablet? Doesn't that pretty much look like an internal GPS to apps on the tablet?

What about using a Garmin Portable Bluetooth GPS module with the tablet? Doesn't that pretty much look like an internal GPS to apps on the tablet?
I have no 1st hand knowledge of using the portable Garmin, but I've read on other forums that this might be a viable option. Funny, I must have looked at this item a while back because its in my Amazon wishlist.

OK, so I received the Garmin GLO GPS and did an initial test with the ipad mini 4 wi-fi only tablet I have. And...

I DOES appear to provide GPS position to the DJIGO 4 app, so I'm assuming that it will work with the follow me feature. The Garmin is impressive, as it was even able to pick up position data inside my house. Something that the DJI itself won't do. As others have said, if you don't have internet, you will want to cache any maps you think you will need ahead of time. I would think that though your phone won't share it's GPS over wi-fi, using it as an internet hot spot in the field WOULD work for downloading map data on the fly.

So to summarize, if you have a wi-fi only tablet with NO GPS, you can get full functionality (including follow me) with the following set-up:
1. Wi-Fi Tablet (no GPS)
2. Cell Phone with internet hot spot capability -OR- pre-cached maps
3. Garmin GLO GPS unit.

BTW the Garmin is about $99 on Amazon.
Hope this helps answer any questions,
Don

Reactions: Chaika
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics