DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

taco rc - ND MC filters now or wait for the polarized ones?

The way I understand it, polarized will be handy for shooting over water or in areas where there is a lot of snow like where I am.

Yes. Basically, ND filters are tinted lens that reduce brightness, allowing you to record at a slower shutter speed on a bright sunny day. And polarized lens are tinted with an additional film/coating which reduces glare, i.e., light reflected off of water or foliage (leaves).

Reactions: PowerT1998
Yes. Basically, ND filters are tinted lens that reduce brightness, allowing you to record at a slower shutter speed on a bright sunny day. And polarized lens are tinted with an additional film/coating which reduces glare, i.e., light reflected off of water or foliage (leaves).
Right, my point was there is a use for them, unlike what was said about them being useless for video.

Right, my point was there is a use for them, unlike what was said about them being useless for video.

Well, they're not useless, but they're harder to use if the camera will be moving around out of arm's reach. The filter has an effect that changes as you adjust the filter's roll orientation or you adjust the camera's yaw orientation relative to the strongest lights (the sun). If you're setting up that perfect shot and want to adjust the glare, you may need to iterate a little bit to get the right orientation for the filter to do the job you want.

Reactions: shuddee and jcpkkmw
I ordered some Freewell Filters, which are Polarized ND. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll post an update after I try them. DJI MAVIC HYBRID FILTER 3

I had no idea there were any other players in this space. I like the look of their four-pack, a plain CPL (about 1~2 stops), and 3x non-polarized kit. They could save cash on the extra gee-gaws, and I agree about the oversized case. I like your microfiber REMOVE SMUDGES BEFORE FLIGHT tag out idea.

I personally like the case that comes with the Taco RC filters, it is better than the polycarbomate cases that come with the Polar Pro lenses. I bought both the Taco RC and Polar Pro Cinema Series (second version without gimbal issues) filters and while I prefer the Polar Pro filters I am putting them in my Taco RC padded case. The Taco RC case has spots for 6 filters even though it comes with 4 and the case is soft and padded with a zipper to close, the 6-pack of Polar Pro filters comes in 2 separate cases (which are hard plastic that just snap closed) and could very likely break in a case where you drop it accidentally. Freewell also has filters but I don't have their filters and likely will not be buying them.

I got the Freewell Filters but it's been snowing so I haven't been able to try them yet. Here is a video with my initial thoughts and the gimbal initializing though.

I ordered the Freewell Hybrid 3pack, looking forward to trying
Mine out once I receive my Mavic next week. Thanks for the video!

I personally like the case that comes with the Taco RC filters, it is better than the polycarbomate cases that come with the Polar Pro lenses. I bought both the Taco RC and Polar Pro Cinema Series (second version without gimbal issues) filters and while I prefer the Polar Pro filters I am putting them in my Taco RC padded case. The Taco RC case has spots for 6 filters even though it comes with 4 and the case is soft and padded with a zipper to close, the 6-pack of Polar Pro filters comes in 2 separate cases (which are hard plastic that just snap closed) and could very likely break in a case where you drop it accidentally. Freewell also has filters but I don't have their filters and likely will not be buying them.

I'm looking to possibly buy the Polar Pro how do you know if it's the second version? And is Taco supposed to be coming out with polarized ones?

Last edited:
I'm looking to possibly buy the Polar Pro how do you know if it's the second version? And is Taco supposed to be coming out with polarized ones?
Taco-RC said they'd have ND/PL filters in January, but they're not available yet.

In regards to Polar Pro, the "Cinema Series" is what you want to look for. The original non-cinema series are the ones that won't allow the gimbal to initialize.

Just received Tacos filters did a test recording would you take a look how it looks! if you have any comments on my colour grading please let me know if ist any good and where to improve it thx

Just noticed the last two clips are both D-cinelike

Reactions: Willik
Taco-RC said they'd have ND/PL filters in January, but they're not available yet.

In regards to Polar Pro, the "Cinema Series" is what you want to look for. The original non-cinema series are the ones that won't allow the gimbal to initialize.

I emailed Taco-RC the other day. This is what they said in regard to ND/PL Filters "Hi, yes. we are working on it. hopefully we will have it at the end of this month." As in The end of February.

Reactions: AAPhoto
Just received Tacos filters did a test recording ....
...Just noticed the last two clips are both D-cinelike

Hi, thanks for sharing these vids. I am not the expert here, so plz don't take as any offense if I say that all the vids look the same for me (sorry - I'd say, even a bit ugly).

I see there is not big difference among these short clips shot under specific conditions (cloudy/foggy, ISO 100, speed 100...) I think we all will have to sadly accept that Mavic camera has some limitations for sure (focusing issues, redhot spot, warmer central area of the screen etc.). From my point of view - the filters do not make the video much better in this particular case / turning conditions - not talking here about bright shiny days over snow or water!

BTW I have bought the TACO RC set 4-32 (not polarized), and got exactly the same result, I am looking forward to sunny weather - finally to have chance to use them fully.

There is another issue I noticed - the watercolor effect (what is mentioned here in other threads somewhere). I think you have it also on your footage, since the vids look like not sharp/focused enough... this can be solved (unfortunatelly only for a short period of time) by switching to NTSC and back to PAL. Than the watercolor disapears and for a short time (not sure for how long exactly) there is a brilliant sharp image! (OK under these conditions at least a bit sharper...)

Conclusion? (Just my guess...):
Under cloudy/foggy conditions - filters don't help much (unles you want to reach some special abstract ART effect), with Mavic I alwas have to focus on the focus :) (and NTSC/PAL switch helps to improve the sharpness and gathers some detail from the scenery)

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Hi, thanks for sharing these vids. I am not the expert here, so plz don't take as any offense if I say that all the vids look the same for me (sorry - I'd say, even a bit ugly).

I see there is not big difference among these short clips shot under specific conditions (cloudy/foggy, ISO 100, speed 100...) I think we all will have to sadly accept that Mavic camera has some limitations for sure (focusing issues, redhot spot, warmer central area of the screen etc.). From my point of view - the filters do not make the video much better in this particular case / turning conditions - not talking here about bright shiny days over snow or water!

BTW I have bought the TACO RC set 4-32 (not polarized), and got exactly the same result, I am looking forward to sunny weather - finally to have chance to use them fully.

There is another issue I noticed - the watercolor effect (what is mentioned here in other threads somewhere). I think you have it also on your footage, since the vids look like not sharp/focused enough... this can be solved (unfortunatelly only for a short period of time) by switching to NTSC and back to PAL. Than the watercolor disapears and for a short time (not sure for how long exactly) there is a brilliant sharp image! (OK under these conditions at least a bit sharper...)

Under cloudy/foggy conditions - filters don't help much (unles you want to reach some special abstract ART effect), with Mavic I alwas have to focus on the focus :) (and NTSC/PAL switch helps to improve the sharpness and gathers some detail from the scenery)

I use the TACO RC filters. I used an ND 8 on a semi-cloudy-semi-sunny day and it was fine. Maybe I have the lucky drone but I have not experienced the watercolor effect.

Not sure what you are looking for but I see a night verses day improvement. Minus the color grading you have the same videos. The color grading makes the videos look MUCH better and I am looking at them on an iPhone. I am sure they would look even better on a computer. I would say that some are suffering from hot spots, or focus issues. Not all Mavic users. One thing that has been mentioned, and is even mentioned on the DJI forum site is that the Mavic camera is not designed for low light situations. It fails rather miserably. However, in daylight the camera performs reasonably well. In short, the the Mavic is a consumer drone with a consumer camera. It is the equivalent of a flying point and shoot. For higher quality video, you will need to spring for the Inspire 2 or the P4P. Pretty simple.

... Maybe I have the lucky drone but I have not experienced the watercolor effect.

Maybe you have, if your shots do not look like this one below (look at the trees).

watercolor.jpg
This is an XnView cut (no effects applied) from the original Mavic jpeg 4000×2250 px. shot while hovering (not moving Mavic), above the trees and roof of my parents house. Conditions cloudy & a bit foggy, used filter Taco RC ND4,

I have shot dozens of pics, tried different settings, manual sharpnes -1, than 0, than +1 (+1 is a bit better but still there), then I searched the forum and found the watercolor effect issue. :-(

Thank you fot taking look of my vid i am still beginer regarding of arial videos i have been mostly into quad racing still experimenting mavic cam and filters and editing. I never heard about PAL/NTSC fix i will give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Maybe you have, if your shots do not look like this one below (look at the trees).

View attachment 6366
This is an XnView cut (no effects applied) from the original Mavic jpeg 4000×2250 px. shot while hovering (not moving Mavic), above the trees and roof of my parents house. Conditions cloudy & a bit foggy, used filter Taco RC ND4,

I have shot dozens of pics, tried different settings, manual sharpnes -1, than 0, than +1 (+1 is a bit better but still there), then I searched the forum and found the watercolor effect issue. :-(

There was a very good article about the Mavic camera and that we are probably seeing the best that it can do. It is basically a flying point and shoot camera. I tend to know the limitations of the camera, like no or little low light photography. The camera is simply not up to the task of producing really clean night time images. You can of course run them through an NR app to clean them up bit but you will lose some of the detail.

... we are probably seeing the best that it can do...

Hi, thx. for reply - this is probably the most sad true we all will have to live with.

I bought my Mavic 2 months ago, mostly amazed by trailers and marketing shots, intended to pass the reg. process, pilot exams (the full process, quite complicated here in CZ) and wanted to use the Mavic for semi-professional footages since it looked very promissing. Unfortunatelly with the time I became more skeptic, esp. when reading through DJI Mavic forums and also here at Mavicpilots - I can see the confusion of many people.

This thing is definitely not a toy being sold for 120 bucks and it still has too many childish bugs - too soon being sold to public.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000