DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

taco rc - ND MC filters now or wait for the polarized ones?

Hi, thx. for reply - this is probably the most sad true we all will have to live with.

I bought my Mavic 2 months ago, mostly amazed by trailers and marketing shots, intended to pass the reg. process, pilot exams (the full process, quite complicated here in CZ) and wanted to use the Mavic for semi-professional footages since it looked very promissing. Unfortunatelly with the time I became more skeptic, esp. when reading through DJI Mavic forums and also here at Mavicpilots - I can see the confusion of many people.

This thing is definitely not a toy being sold for 120 bucks and it still has too many childish bugs - too soon being sold to public.

I understand completely. What I have seen here is that many people know very little about photography and the limitations that are inherent with the camera of the Mavic. On the other hand, I know what it can and can not do so I stick to those parameters. Yes, I sometimes fly when it is getting dark but I also know that the images I am looking for are not going to be anywhere near my pro camera gear. Just not possible. One other the other hand, there are probably many, many more people who are not complaining about their Mavics, so you have to sort of weigh the good and the bad.

P.S. Never believe the marketing campaigns. :)

Reactions: Willik and halley
A great photographer can get great images out of a potato crappy camera. But it's still a crappy camera. I am tickled every time I capture something I consider a "keeper" with the Mavic. I bought it for fun. My DSLR is for a different class of image.

A great photographer can get great images out of a potato crappy camera. But it's still a crappy camera. I am tickled every time I capture something I consider a "keeper" with the Mavic. I bought it for fun. My DSLR is for a different class of image.

I agree for the most part. I took this as the sun was setting. Not too bad in my opinion but again, as I said, I realize and understand what the Mavic can do and I stay within those boundaries.

Attachments

• Drone1.png
    Drone1.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 41
  • canvas.png
    canvas.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: Anthonyk
Hi, thx. for reply - this is probably the most sad true we all will have to live with.

I bought my Mavic 2 months ago, mostly amazed by trailers and marketing shots, intended to pass the reg. process, pilot exams (the full process, quite complicated here in CZ) and wanted to use the Mavic for semi-professional footages since it looked very promissing. Unfortunatelly with the time I became more skeptic, esp. when reading through DJI Mavic forums and also here at Mavicpilots - I can see the confusion of many people.

This thing is definitely not a toy being sold for 120 bucks and it still has too many childish bugs - too soon being sold to public.
Totally disagree. Totally. This is an insanely amazing device that was made for easy and powerful remote viewing and amateur videos. It is NOT a professional tool with DSLR attached. It's only because this technology has become accessible to the masses that people/ newbies don't understand this is all a progression and the Mavic is a great step forward - admittedly not the final result. Go back and look at an iPhone 2 and compare to a 7. But the iPhone 2 was awesome at the time. The Mavic has come so far from just 5 years ago. Not perfect but amazing still.

Reactions: Pedro and Willik
Totally disagree. Totally. This is an insanely amazing device that was made for easy and powerful remote viewing and amateur videos. It is NOT a professional tool with DSLR attached. It's only because this technology has become accessible to the masses that people/ newbies don't understand this is all a progression and the Mavic is a great step forward - admittedly not the final result. Go back and look at an iPhone 2 and compare to a 7. But the iPhone 2 was awesome at the time. The Mavic has come so far from just 5 years ago. Not perfect but amazing still.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Nobody said it should be compared to professional DSLRs - btw I have two DSLRs, few compacts as well (not mentioning the cellphones we all exchange every two years)… and I completely understand the differences, since I am taking shots for more than 20 years.

I mean that the pricing policy and DJI support is … let's say "not 100%".
For more than 1000 USD as a base (with additional 400-600 USD for equipment, bag, batts, care refresh, etc) I would simply expect a bit more "adult" product.

At least the major issues should be caught and tuned up before entering the market. I do not remember iPhones (since I am an Android geek ;)) but (just for example of one frequently discussed Mavic issue) I definitely remember exactly the same red hot spot in the center of the camera of my Samsung Galaxy S2 (but this was a decade(!) ago, definitely not in 2017!),

So I really can’t understand these same (or similar) issues nowadays, when better shots can be made with the 100 USD cellphone I have in my pocket. (yes I know, I know… there is still the thing how to get the cellphone in the air and take aerials…) and of course I also know there isn’t anything better on the market than Mavic! Thumbswayup;)

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply. Nobody said it should be compared to professional DSLRs - btw I have two DSLRs, few compacts as well (not mentioning the cellphones we all exchange every two years)… and I completely understand the differences, since I am taking shots for more than 20 years.

For more than 1000 USD as a base (with additional 400-600 USD for equipment, bag, batts, care refresh, etc) I would simply expect a bit more "adult" product.

At least the major issues should be caught and tuned up before entering the market. I do not remember iPhones (since I am an Android geek ;)) but (just for example of one frequently discussed Mavic issue) I definitely remember exactly the same red hot spot in the center of the camera of my Samsung Galaxy S2 (but this was a decade(!) ago, definitely not in 2017!),

So I really can’t understand these same (or similar) issues nowadays, when better shots can be made with the 100 USD cellphone I have in my pocket. (yes I know, I know… there is still the thing how to get the cellphone in the air and take aerials…) and of course I also know there isn’t anything better on the market than Mavic! Thumbswayup;)

Yup, and yup. Agreed. My iPhone 7 Plus takes better photos than the Mavic, P4, or the P4P but then again, it is not flying. For what it does, the Mavic is pretty much unbeatable. I do wish I could find the post from a guy in the group that explained the Mavic optics and why it is very hard to get it right all of the time.

Like you, I have pro DSLR cameras and glass to match, and have been shooting for about 15 years or so. With this in mind, I also know the limitations of the devices I use. I make the decision to live with the results of each. I love the Mavic for the quick ability to get in the air, get the shots (decent), and fly away and get some more. If I need more than this, I will pop over to the store and buy an Inspire.

Reactions: Willik

Well, if you have a defective camera, absolutely get it replaced. Mine is very good. I only film at 2.7k. I think the 4k is a mistake. I've had beautiful yet not perfect videos. Beautiful is good enough for me. I want replying to you as much as the incessant complaining about the camera quality by so many. The money is in the drone not the camera. A better camera would raise the cost- which I personally would be glad to pay. But the overall price point for what you get is at least an 8 out of 10 in my mind.

Went with Polar Pro ND filters, I took this picture with Polar Pro ND16 on a hot sunny day, highly reflective ocean waters a mile and a half off the coast of Costa Rica.
Btw no post processing, this is straight out of the Mavic.DJI_0003.JPG

DJI_0005.JPG

Last edited:
Well, if you have a defective camera, absolutely get it replaced. Mine is very good. I only film at 2.7k. I think the 4k is a mistake. I've had beautiful yet not perfect videos. Beautiful is good enough for me. I want replying to you as much as the incessant complaining about the camera quality by so many. The money is in the drone not the camera. A better camera would raise the cost- which I personally would be glad to pay. But the overall price point for what you get is at least an 8 out of 10 in my mind.

Pretty good, no great response. Spot on as well. The money is in the drone, not camera. The complaining is deafening and usually, not all the time, by people who do not know much about photography and want a $1000 drone to perform just like a $5000 drone. It's mind-numbing. I can understand not everyone is a photographer or vidoegrapher. I'm not, but before I ask a very simplistic or basic question, I Google for the answer. I read about the camera on the Mavic before I paid for it. Some said, excellent, some said great, some said crap. I took an average and still decided that for $1000 great was good enough. Sometimes people expect too much. If you want excellent, go buy an Inspire.

Well, if you have a defective camera, absolutely get it replaced. Mine is very good.....

Sorry I just can't believe this:rolleyes:, I believe you don’t see the issues, since they are related to specific turning conditions only (e.g. you live in California, this might have explained a lot). The issues we were talking about were mostly FW/HW design concerned. There is not a "defect" with my camera. The internal IR filter and the lens are simply poor by the design. This is the reason why replacement will never work. (Some part of it could – and hopefully will – be solved by future FW upgrades). Read other posts here and on official DJI forums.

Funny (no, it's sad actually) thing is that the guy who opened the thread and discussed uselessly for several months with DJI got banned two days ago by DJI-Ken.

To finish this discussion somehow, since we are really getting off-topic, I wish you to enjoy your flawless vids! (I completely agree with the other part of your text what I am not quoting here.)

For the others – the best filters would be:
1 ) for polarized shots: PolarPro - DJI Mavic Vivid Collection, (they also have circular PL only), a bit higher price but can pass the initial of Mavic Gimbal.
2) Taco RC set (Neutral density) good quality too, no problems with gimbal - BTW great shot over the sea! ElGuapo - two posts above - thanks! Thumbswayup

.... I Google for the answer. I read about the camera on the Mavic before I paid for it. Some said, excellent, some said great, some said crap. I took an average and still decided that for $1000 great was good enough. Sometimes people expect too much. If you want excellent, go buy an Inspire.

Agree and not:rolleyes:. Consider the timeline: many people (incl. me) ordered Mavic many months ago (my order was placed in September 2016), we all know the delivery times :cool:... I luckily got the Mavic in December, first flights in January (some people still didn't receive it yet). Most of the negative posts and issues are rising nowadays... how could you find on Google something what is not published yet? ;)

Price is the other side of the same coin; I understand that for US/UK/west EU citizens 1000USD may be a crumb. But for many people it still is almost a fortune! So I would say the expectations of people vary significantly. Saying "Go buy Inspire" might be a bit remorseless (esp. when DJI stuff says it - as already happen).

Reactions: gkordowski
Sorry to bump an ancient thread but it shows I know how to use the search feature [emoji846]
But to reply to the OP, certainly you are STILL not waiting on Taco RC to release their Polarizing filters?

Last edited:
Reactions: Brojon
I'm not too sure. I'm a semi-pro photographer and you can't hardly sell prints anymore which is where those megapixels and high resolving lenses are good for - the market just isn't there. Given they just want to post on Facebook and a few 4x6 prints - there's literally no need to drag out the 24mp Canon with 70-200 f2.8 lens. I literally only use my Epson large format printer anymore for making gift canvas wraps at Christmas.
Seriously considering selling my high-end Canon gear and investing it in a P4P. I'll still have my Sony Nex-7 as a still camera that does video but honestly people simply don't care that much anymore about the quality - only content. The last wedding I shot I used a Garmin Virb Ultra to do 4K video and the NEX-7 for photos.
All people seem to care about is posts on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram. They ooh and ahh over iPhone pics.
Generally the proliferation of digital cameras has lowered the quality bar on acceptable photography.
Given that low bar the only distinction now is the photographer's "eye". There's a local newspaper photographer that is using his Mavic for published photos in the paper. I told him he's living the dream ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov