DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking my Mav Pro carry on? Flying American Airlines.

Millions of people travel with fully charged (or nearly full) batteries every day. How many accidents have you heard about in the news recently (or ever)?

I heard of none, but if the battery were to catch on fire wouldn't it be safer to have a discharged battery than a fully charged one? Or does that even matter? I just like to know which is safer.

if the battery were to catch on fire wouldn't it be safer to have a discharged battery than a fully charged one?
If this was a problem, all airlines would require passengers to discharge all batteries in their electronic devices before boarding.

You're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

If this was a problem, all airlines would require passengers to discharge all batteries in their electronic devices before boarding.

You're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

Ok cool, that's good to know. Thanks msinger.

Flew to the UK in August and had three batteries in the custom drone backpack, all in their own divided area. I did run them down to about 30% charge though. No problems with TSA and did not even need to open the bag as it went through the x-ray machine. No hassles coming back either. I did put electrical tape over the battery terminals though, just as an added safety precaution.

I’ve flown with mine numerous times to DC area from LA, never had to cover the terminals...?

Flew with my Mavic over the summer. Brought 3 batteries total, installed one and carried the other two in LiPo bag. Also used 3M blue tape to cover the terminals. The LiPo protection bag wasn't necessary in my case, but I figured if the battery did decide to go into runaway at least I could say that I attempted to go above the minimum requirement.

Check with the airline's web page, most have some sort of FAQ that addresses LiPo batteries.

From the Frontier (airline I flew) FAQ:
Carry-On: Yes; however, a limit of two loose lithium batteries may be transported when stored in zip top plastic bags, original retail packing, or when the terminals are protected with non- conductive tape or when installed within electronic devices.

Lithium-ion batteries, weighing 8 grams or less per battery.

Lithium metal batteries, weighing 2 grams or less per battery, may be accepted.

Mavic batteries are within those limits. I'm pretty sure this is the same as the TSA recommendation, but remember that the airline has the final say, not the TSA.

Hi,

I just got my Mav Pro and plan on taking it to the beach. I'm flying American Airlines and my question is should I take it carry on? Will they allow that?

I was going to purchase this case:
https://www.amazon.com/Carrying-Cas...92&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mavic+pro+case&psc=1

I only have one battery so far.

Thanks
I always take my Mavic and batteries and accessories that all fit in the bag. I have to the caribbean, Hawaii and other places without any problems so far. I always worry a little going through security, but i has never been questioned. It fits in my carry-on without a problem and I always travel with it. Most recently I flew American and no one batted an eye. Be careful of the sand, Good luck and enjoy.

Reactions: ftttu
I travel with the Mavic and batteries in by carryon backpack. Batteries are taped and in seperate Lipo bags. I always take them out of the backpack prior to X-ray - I guess to show I'm not hiding anything. Been questioned twice. One guy wanted to confirm the batteries were less than 100Whr (they are about 37). Another guy wanted to have a look cause he was thinking of buying one!

Reactions: ftttu
As per DJI battery manual, you are supposed to bring discharged batteries on board. IMO, this could be for extreme situations, such as when cabin pressure drops or increase due to turbulence, a fully charged battery may expand under pressure or explode?
56f345d1f5d9a4a0c9561924332dae22.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom