DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Testing the Mavic 3 Classic with the RC Pro & Goggles 2

Jeff A

Well Worn Member
Reactions
Today I did 2 flights with my Mavic 3 Classic using my RC Pro controller and Googles 2. I recorded video of both flights. On the first flight, the RC Pro Gimbal Mode setting was set to FPV Mode and the second flight the Gimbal Mode was set to Follow Mode.

Here are a few things that I learned from this test:

• The left stick was very sensitive to inputs. I really don’t know if it’s always this sensitive or it’s because of my un-documented hardware setup. The roll/turn inputs are a lot smoother in Follow Mode.
  • I used the Cruise Control function on the Mavic 3 to control my speed and it is a tremendous aid to smoothness while flying and filming. I could fly the aircraft with the left stick and concentrate on camera functions and other things.
  • Using Goggles 2 from my Avata generated the “H” to indicate the Home Point where I took off and was helpful. On most of the second flight I was cruising at around 45 mph ground speed and with the subject matter in this case being largely residential homes, you could really get lost easily if you were in an unfamiliar area which is pretty important considering my next point.
  • It appears that my RTH settings for low battery don’t work in this hardware configuration. I will investigate further when time permits.
  • The winds aloft for these two flights were 16.6 gusting to 23.4 mph as reported by Airdata UAV.
  • Using the RC Pro, all the camera functions I tried today worked as advertised, but I used only Gimbal pitch and start and stop video functions.
  • I used an ND16 Filter on the lens of the Mavic 3 Classic camera today.
  • As the distance increased passing the ½ mile point, the Goggles signal began to break up. I increased the altitude to compensate but I could not give you any meaningful data in this regard. YRMV.
In summary, I was very happy about my results today. I feel that this is an effective way to shoot video and stills as it just seems that you can see things better than looking at the controller screen, whatever that may be. I will shoot some still photos on my next test flight. Links to videos below. If you fast forward through most of them, I understand.

First Video:

Second Video:

Reactions: deinvb
Thanks for posting this detailed description and videos. I’d like to know more about your undocumented setup, if that’s not too much to ask.

Thanks for posting this detailed description and videos. I’d like to know more about your undocumented setup, if that’s not too much to ask.
No problem. I start the Mavic 3 using the RC Pro. I'll bring to a hover and move it away from me. I then turn on the goggles and because they have already been paired with the Mavic 3 (Classic in my case) Your good to go as soon as you have video in the goggles. Note: the controller screen will be black at this point. I then fly as normal. I have found that using the goggles, I can fly much more smoothly. I even had to turn down the rudder sensitivity. Here are a couple of major points:
1. There are no battery warnings as you start to get low, so YOU have to monitor that closely.
2. Try very hard NOT to activate the menu system on the goggles. Somehow I got into head turning mode
by accident on a recent flight and really screwed myself up because I don't like that mode and have not practiced with it, and I was low, in obstacle territory.
3. The zoom feature on the camera may be intermittent. One time it didn't work, the next time it did. Jerry @ Middleloop has a video Quick Class on zoom problems. I watched it once, and I'll watch it again.
4. Decide on when you will transition from Goggles to VLOS and pause the drone while you transition. I almost landed on my can once because I waited too long to transition. The drove would have slid off the fender and crashed. Something to avoid.

For me, being a long time pilot (18,000 + hours), it seems like the right way to fly. I suspect that some day we will be able to operate this way without a visual observer. You are able to fly with much more precision and can get much closer to objects than trying to get close from a distance.

Reactions: deinvb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1