DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tethering my ipad 2 air mavic RTH problem

Jimw

Reactions
Hello I have two problems maybe three but don't know if they are related to myself tethering my ipad2 air to view everything as opposed to using my iPhone as the screen is two small .I have an existing problem I had before where I use the Mavic and upon landing and downloading the video the playback is not as sharp as it has been in the past. Last time I had advice from someone on this site they advised tap to fly but there is no indication on the screen to focus on something at all within fifty feet to ten feet in the past it was always automatic it focused by itself .I am thinking because I am using the apple lightning cable usb from controller to iPad connection it changes a few functions on the Mavic this is where my next problem comes in in the past I could press return to home on the mobile phone screen and everything worked as normal but now I am tethering the mobile to the iPad 2 air for gps signals and such like I press return to home on the iPad now its stops in mid air and asks If I want it to land I am thinking this is new its wants to land instead of return to home .And one more thing I noticed it was doing it has never done before on the initial start up on auto take off it hovers but slowly it loses height .According to DJI support adviser there is no change to any functions whether you use the short lightning cable supplied or another lightning cable in the usb port on the controller.
I do remove the short lightning cable from the controller whilst using the usb as advised .I use just normal standard settings and don't change anything on the MAVIC and have calibrated the mavic a few times .
Does anyone have similar problems tethering.

Does anyone have similar problems tethering
These problems would not be caused by tethering to another mobile device.

Last time I had advice from someone on this site they advised tap to fly but there is no indication on the screen to focus on something at all within fifty feet to ten feet in the past it was always automatic it focused by itself
The camera will auto focus if you enable the "Enable AFC Mode" setting in DJI GO.

DJI-GO-Enable-AFC-Mode.jpg

on the initial start up on auto take off it hovers but slowly it loses height
Does this happen during the day? Are the downward senors enabled? How much does it descend? Does it eventually stop descending at some point?

I press return to home on the iPad now its stops in mid air and asks If I want it to land
When exactly does it stop and ask you to confirm the landing?

Reactions: ed1nh0
thanks for all your answers to the first query on tethering I understand you saying its nothing to do with tethering I accept that.
I will check that the AFC is enabled . it was enabled before when I was using it I would not have changed it .
As for the drone starting lose height this is something again that never ever happened before , yes it is in the daylight and has only started doing this when you initially start it up and do the checks before flying it loses height slowly but noticeable if I don't stop it it would just land.
I will check that the downward sensors are enabled again I am not one for changing things when they work fine unless when it upgrades firmware it changes settings without me knowing .
When I touch home in the past it automatically came home now when I press home it comes up with a yellow banner asking if I want it to land when its not even close to me at one point. I pressed home on another occasion it was over the water and stopped so I cancelled this and landed it manually .when I pressed home and asked if I wanted it to land I queried this with the DJI support they said I must have taken off too close to the water .But just yesterday when it done the same it wanted to land quite far maybe 50 m from me but I was two miles from any water this time so I thought this was because I was tethering .So I don't understand why it doesn't come straight back and land at its set home point as it does say home point updated on initial start-up

when I pressed home and asked if I wanted it to land I queried this with the DJI support they said I must have taken off too close to the water .But just yesterday when it done the same it wanted to land quite far maybe 50 m from me but I was two miles from any water this time so I thought this was because I was tethering
Is it possible that you're accidentally tapping the auto land icon instead of the RTH icon? If you're sure you're tapping the right icon, it would be helpful to see one of your flight logs where this happened. Please upload it here and post a link back here.

Thanks for your help you were right about two of the topics the third one I was having problems with I need to look at the settings I still am trying to resolve
Firstly you were right about the return to home I was touching the wrong icon but now press the correct one for it to work return to home with no problem so that one was my fault thanks.
yes the downward sensors are working as I was flying today but something just came up on the screen saying compass redundant so I will look into recalibrating the Mavic and double check all settings
As for the focus problem again you were right thanks again once I pressed the correct icon you advised all video was in focus .
I realise now with using the iPad that its very easy to touch things on the screen and change them without knowing the problem with losing height is the one I will need to try and figure out as it done it today still on start up the initial pre flight checks this is when it loses height gradually this is before I touch any of the controls. When I first purchased it it took off and stayed at the start-up height and never ever moved.

Thanks for your help you were right about two of the topics the third one I was having problems with I need to look at the settings I still am trying to resolve
Firstly you were right about the return to home I was touching the wrong icon but now press the correct one for it to work return to home with no problem so that one was my fault thanks.
yes the downward sensors are working as I was flying today but something just came up on the screen saying compass redundant so I will look into recalibrating the Mavic and double check all settings
As for the focus problem again you were right thanks again once I pressed the correct icon you advised all video was in focus .
I realise now with using the iPad that its very easy to touch things on the screen and change them without knowing the problem with losing height is the one I will need to try and figure out as it done it today still on start up the initial pre flight checks this is when it loses height gradually this is before I touch any of the controls. When I first purchased it it took off and stayed at the start-up height and never ever moved.
Be sure the bottom sensors are clean also.

thanks I will check them and clean the bottom sensors with a dry duster.
Thank you for all your help.
while I fly its confusing sometimes when you see messages popping up and trying to fly and read the messages whether its saying its too windy to fly but here in Scotland most of the time we don't have many days it s calm or rain but hay ho I will just get on with enjoy flying this good drone on the good days I am impressed with it and learning from people like yourself which I am grateful for the thing about this drone is it has that many settings and features to learn about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan