DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Alaska life in Seward Alaska using the Mavic 2 pro

Nice work Jake! Just a suggestion- “Chasing” whales and describing how you did that may be bad keywords to use on posts though, I would say you were “viewing” whales... ;)

Lol good point! I was viewing whales from a safe distance... actually much further away than it looks on the video. Filming in 4K and cropping in makes a big difference!!

Reactions: AMann
Lol good point! I was viewing whales from a safe distance... actually much further away than it looks on the video. Filming in 4K and cropping in makes a big difference!!

Actually you have a great point, shooting in 4K allows for so much croping, the audience sees it as being very close. Nice work!

Reactions: JakeS
I spent the last few days shooting video and spending tim with my family in Seward Alaska. I put together this short film shot with the Mavic 2 Pro. Alaska really is amazing especially when the weather is good! If you plan to travel here DM me if you have questions about flying drones up here. Enjoy

Hi Jake, great video. We’re coming into Seward in a few days off a cruise. Any hints and tips re sites would be appreciated. We’re going to be in Anchorage as well if you have any info.
Thanks, Peter

Hi Jake, great video. We’re coming into Seward in a few days off a cruise. Any hints and tips re sites would be appreciated. We’re going to be in Anchorage as well if you have any info.
Thanks, Peter

Seward is a beautiful area. If you have the chance to go the glaciers on a smaller tour boat that is WORTH IT! Glaciers are incredible to see first hand. If you’ve seen some of my other videos you’ll know lol. Whale watching is great too. Are you driving from Seward to Anchorage? If not take the train if you have the chance. It’s one of the most beautiful train rides in the world.

If you have enough time in Seward have transportation and like to hike then the hike out to the beach at Cain’s head is a nice hike at about 1.5 miles. It is a bit of a hill climb though and a group is recommended to help with keeping bears away. They are much less likely to bother groups of people.

Anchorage has a fair amount to offer for things to do. Depending on your budget some of the local flying services have great day tours (like rusts flying service) to view bears fly in fishing etc. some of that may not be happening yet though. You can also drive up to the Glen Alps trail head and a short walk will give you an over view of the entire city. If you have time to drive north to Talkeetna on a nice day you’ll see the best views of the Alaska Range (including the largest mountain in North America: Denali).

Those are some of the things off the top of my head.

Reactions: BD0G
Downtown Seward is so nice!

When we were in Seward I really wanted to eat at Chinooks. Closed! Ugggh.

So we ended up in some hole in the wall bar and grill as it was just about the only thing open in late Nov.

I ended up planting my GoPro on some rocks overlooking the bay in Seward and just let it time lapse while we ate.

Great stuff as usual! Nice work!

Downtown Seward is so nice!

When we were in Seward I really wanted to eat at Chinooks. Closed! Ugggh.

So we ended up in some hole in the wall bar and grill as it was just about the only thing open in late Nov.

I ended up planting my GoPro on some rocks overlooking the bay in Seward and just let it time lapse while we ate.

Great stuff as usual! Nice work!

Chinooks is fantastic for dinning.

We also drove from Anchorage to Talkeetna twice in search of the ever elusive Northern Lights. First night we got there around 11:pM and slept in the car and got up every 1/2 hour to try and see them. Nothing. At 2 a.m. I gave up and made the drive back -very disappointed. I had even checked my phone app and the viewing possibility was listed as "strong". We stopped to get gas on the way back and I told the girl to flip the switch behind the counter to turn on the Northern Lights cause I knew it was back there. LOL

So a few nights later drove back out. App stated "strong" again. This time I was not going to sleep in a frigid car. Froze my sack off last time. Checked into the RoadHouse. That place is great! The staff left at 9:00 pm. and just told us what doors to lock up for the night. Crazy ! Only in Alaska!

Went out to try and view all night long. Nothing. So frustrating.

Left the next day to head back to the Lower 48.

Murphy's Law:We get picture messages the next day with amazing Northern Lights Pictures from that night.

We also drove from Anchorage to Talkeetna twice in search of the ever elusive Northern Lights. First night we got there around 11:pM and slept in the car and got up every 1/2 hour to try and see them. Nothing. At 2 a.m. I gave up and made the drive back -very disappointed. I had even checked my phone app and the viewing possibility was listed as "strong". We stopped to get gas on the way back and I told the girl to flip the switch behind the counter to turn on the Northern Lights cause I knew it was back there. LOL

So a few nights later drove back out. App stated "strong" again. This time I was not going to sleep in a frigid car. Froze my sack off last time. Checked into the RoadHouse. That place is great! The staff left at 9:00 pm. and just told us what doors to lock up for the night. Crazy ! Only in Alaska!

Went out to try and view all night long. Nothing. So frustrating.

Left the next day to head back to the Lower 48.

Murphy's Law:We get picture messages the next day with amazing Northern Lights Pictures from that night.

Yeah they are hard to time. I’ve lived up here 20 years and I can count on 2 hands the number of times I’ve seen a really great Aurora display.

Seward is a beautiful area. If you have the chance to go the glaciers on a smaller tour boat that is WORTH IT! Glaciers are incredible to see first hand. If you’ve seen some of my other videos you’ll know lol. Whale watching is great too. Are you driving from Seward to Anchorage? If not take the train if you have the chance. It’s one of the most beautiful train rides in the world.

If you have enough time in Seward have transportation and like to hike then the hike out to the beach at Cain’s head is a nice hike at about 1.5 miles. It is a bit of a hill climb though and a group is recommended to help with keeping bears away. They are much less likely to bother groups of people.

Anchorage has a fair amount to offer for things to do. Depending on your budget some of the local flying services have great day tours (like rusts flying service) to view bears fly in fishing etc. some of that may not be happening yet though. You can also drive up to the Glen Alps trail head and a short walk will give you an over view of the entire city. If you have time to drive north to Talkeetna on a nice day you’ll see the best views of the Alaska Range (including the largest mountain in North America: Denali).

Those are some of the things off the top of my head.

Hi Jake, thank you so much, that’s fantastic.
Unfortunately we dock in Seward and will be transferred straight to Anchorage from the ship.
We are in downtown Anchorage for 1 day because of flight times so our time is very limited so our range will be limited by time and foot.
I wonder if you have any areas around the downtown zone that may be ok?
Thanks again, take care. Peter

Awesome! I spent 13 summers up there doing field research mostly out of Homer but lots of time in Seward too. Was nice to see famliar scenes.. too bad my time there was before drones. Thanks for the vid! Subscribed to your YT channel to check out more. BTW, I know where a great morel mushroom patch is out by Exit Glacier and it should be popping up really soon!

Hi Jake, thank you so much, that’s fantastic.
Unfortunately we dock in Seward and will be transferred straight to Anchorage from the ship.
We are in downtown Anchorage for 1 day because of flight times so our time is very limited so our range will be limited by time and foot.
I wonder if you have any areas around the downtown zone that may be ok?
Thanks again, take care. Peter

If you get the chance to go get a bite to eat try to get in at the glacier brew house. I’d recommend calling in for reservations for sure. Downtown has some nice places to go see. If it’s a nice day def take a stroll.

Awesome! I spent 13 summers up there doing field research mostly out of Homer but lots of time in Seward too. Was nice to see famliar scenes.. too bad my time there was before drones. Thanks for the vid! Subscribed to your YT channel to check out more. BTW, I know where a great morel mushroom patch is out by Exit Glacier and it should be popping up really soon!

Homer is great! I need to get back there this year. Haven’t been there in the last 3 years. I’m planning a trip to exit glacier here soon so the timing might just be right [emoji6]. Thanks for subscribing!! Hopefully I’ll be able to help you remember your time here

Reactions: Wailuku
Homer is great! I need to get back there this year. Haven’t been there in the last 3 years. I’m planning a trip to exit glacier here soon so the timing might just be right
emoji6.png
. Thanks for subscribing!! Hopefully I’ll be able to help you remember your time here
As I recall they right along the trail approximately here... ( 60.186467°, -149.630429°). Last time I was there I collected a paper grocery bag full and left a lot behind.

As I recall they right along the trail approximately here... ( 60.186467°, -149.630429°). Last time I was there I collected a paper grocery bag full and left a lot behind.

Thank you very much!

I spent the last few days shooting video and spending tim with my family in Seward Alaska. I put together this short film shot with the Mavic 2 Pro. Alaska really is amazing especially when the weather is good! If you plan to travel here DM me if you have questions about flying drones up here. Enjoy

Hi Jake, I am planning a trip to Alaska in September and wondering if you could share some details on where can I fly my drone in Seward, Anchorage, and Fairbanks. TIA!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman