DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

the importance of manual exposure

Are they beaver dens or beaver lodges in Alaska? I
You can blame me for the "den" issue, I am wrong and I have chastised myself for this fopah. I am originally from Up-State New York, Adirondack Mountains, and the proper term for their "home" is Beaver Lodge, not den... I really should have known better, the beaver is New York State's Official Mammal…

You can blame me for the "den" issue, I am wrong and I have chastised myself for this fopah. I am originally from Up-State New York, Adirondack Mountains, and the proper term for their "home" is Beaver Lodge, not den... I really should have known better, the beaver is New York State's Official Mammal…
No blame. No big deal. Just curiosity about regional names.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I wanted to follow up on that Auto Exposure comment and realized I had some footage done with AE. Here is an example with AE and one shot manually. You can see in the manual exposure of the beaver lodge that the sun area is blown out and the histogram does not change in the mid tones but shows the upper highlights areas pushed up against the 100% mark as the sun enters the scene and that tells us (as we see visually) the the sun areas are not compensated for and are thus blown out while allowing the beaver lodge to remain "good". This looks darker than the final video as I did no post processing on this. The second video shot with AE where the camera pans toward the sun shows the foreground getting dimmer and dimmer as the sun enters the scene and the histogram shows that the exposure is being compensated so the sun area will not be burned out as much. Thus the foreground gets darker and darker as bright areas enter a scene when AE is used. Some might say the beaver lodge would have looked as good but it certainly would have been quite a bit darker and if I had tried to lighten it up, which would be possible to some degree in post, it would not have turned out as well as it did IHMO by using manual exposure. We each get to make our own decision as to when and if to use Manual vs Auto exposure....

Just curiosity about regional names.
As a point of interest, I recently found out that I have a new moniker… As I wrote I am originally from Up-State New York and I served over 30-years in the Air Force and I was stationed here in Virginia three different times. When I was serving and there was hope of me leaving, I was referred to a "Come-Here"…

After retiring from the Air Force and having spent so many years here, we returned and settled here. I have recently found out that I am no longer referred to a Come-Here, but as a "Stay-Here…"

We each get to make our own decision as to when and if to use Manual vs Auto exposure....
Really Great Examples. Thank you for taking the time post these examples! 👍

can i ask how you came to those manual settings? Was it put the drone up and adjust settings until you liked the look? Or did you use the histogram? Or a combo of both?

I just ask because I am more of a drone pilot than photographer and I like to learn how people are getting these great videos.

I'm doing another little Alaskan short and this is a little excerpt that gave me pause and made me glad I use manual exposure by default. This would have looked very different if Auto Exposure had been used...

And the music would have been completely different too...

And the music would have been completely different too...
I replayed the beaver Lodge video and I noticed for the first time that there are track marks in the snow on the sides and top of the Lodge. I am pretty sure that the entrance is always under water, and that Beavers do not hibernate but will swim out and gather branches from their stored reserves under water. So the tracks are probably rabbit and foxes looking for a meal.

The other music was really haunting. I played it all the way through in case the image changed, it did not… but I noticed the rhythm seemed to go internal and I re-listened to it with my eyes closed and it changes your mood… Weird…

The other thing I'd mention is cameras want to create an 18% grey. They don't know you are shooting snow. In an average scene with sky and ground it's about 18% grey if you ignore the colors so cameras tend to look for that. Granted some are much more sophisticated but that's the general rule. If you use auto exposure on an area that is bright snow it will come out too dark. Although you can lighten it in post it's much better to expose it properly. You can auto expose and increase the exposure or you can do it manually but in either case when snow is the main attraction you have to increase the exposure, which is admittedly somewhat counter intuitive.
You can use auto exposure on snow, you just have to set the index accordingly—the full auto modes are adjustable on most cameras.

And most cameras have auto-lock, so you can be in auto and then hit lock for the duration of the shot to keep exposure steady.

On these cameras the drag is that exposure is only shutter speed or ISO, so I use a variable NDcpl…

I'm doing another little Alaskan short and this is a little excerpt that gave me pause and made me glad I use manual exposure by default. This would have looked very different if Auto Exposure had been used...

Manuel Exposure is also very important when shooting manual panoramas. Auto Exposure will adjust the exposure as you move from a darker sky to a lighter sky and the final exposures won't match. Thanks for sharing.

Manuel Exposure is also very important when shooting manual panoramas. Auto Exposure will adjust the exposure as you move from a darker sky to a lighter sky and the final exposures won't match. Thanks for sharing.
For pano's, how about allowing the camera to get correct exposure for the target and then engaging the exposure lock? Works for me when I'm in a hurry.

When I'm shooting panoramas with areas of differing brightness, I prefer to make sure that each section is properly exposed according to its brightness, rather than under- or overexposed because the exposure is locked on what might be good for somewhere else.
Auto exposure works well for me and there's no issue of things not matching.

719-43a-X3.jpg

7-58a-X3.jpg

You can use auto exposure on snow, you just have to set the index accordingly—the full auto modes are adjustable on most cameras.

And most cameras have auto-lock, so you can be in auto and then hit lock for the duration of the shot to keep exposure steady.

On these cameras the drag is that exposure is only shutter speed or ISO, so I use a variable NDcpl…

Shooting over snow or a beach, you usually want to increase the exposure. The exposure bias control is handy for that when using auto mode.

On cameras without aperture control, an ND filter reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor and requires increasing ISO or decreasing shutter speed.

I recently finished editing some footage that I took in Auto Exposure with my Mavic 3 Pro Cine. It was sunrise and I was hoping the AE would do a better job than I would. It did a very nice job, but there's something no-one here has mentioned - when turning from not facing the sun to facing the sun, I noticed during color grading that the exposure changed in small but visible increments. Very annoying! I was able to mostly fix this in Davinci Resolve with an effect in the color page called color stabilizer. That said, I would rather have locked the exposure. Next time I will try locking the exposure, leaving some room so when the sun rises it doesn't over-expose. Here's the final edit:

here's something no-one here has mentioned
That is some beautiful imagery…

I don't want to be called a "kill-Joy…" or a "FAA Narc…" so I will not remind you that the FAA classifies Fog as a Cloud and the FAA does not allow you to fly over a Cloud, even if it's on the Ground… L :D L . . .

I don't want to be called a "kill-Joy…" or a "FAA Narc…" so I will not remind you that the FAA classifies Fog as a Cloud and the FAA does not allow you to fly over a Cloud, even if it's on the Ground… L :D L . . .

Please tell me you're kidding... I know you're not, but please just tell me anyway 😭

Shooting over snow or a beach, you usually want to increase the exposure. The exposure bias control is handy for that when using auto mode.

On cameras without aperture control, an ND filter reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor and requires increasing ISO or decreasing shutter speed.

Okay we’re talking about some different things here.

First to be clear I don’t use auto exposure. I use zebras to set peak using manual.

In the case of snow, the lit snow would indeed be at the top of the exposure. But also not relevant to what I’m talking about.

If you want smooth cinema like motion, whether the camera’s or an object in scene, you want a shutter speed that is very close to 50% of the frame rate… (or 1 divided by 2x the frame rate depending on how you want to do that math.)

If shooting at 24fps, each frame is 1/24 of a second, therefore you want 1/48 of a second exposure. 1/50 is the close equivalent on these. Of shooting slow mo at 120 fps, then a shutter of 1/240.

1/50 is wide open for daytime even at 100 iso. At least on the Minis, you can’t go slower than 100 iso. And if you shorten the shutter duration you’ll start to get that “saving private Ryan” look.

The way to fix this is an ND filter. With daytime clear sky you’ll need about 5 to 6 stops of reduction.

I like to shoot magic hour, so the variable 1-5 is ideal, I can fly back to quickly adjust the ND without landing (sport mode hand grab with one hand, dial the ND with the other).

EXPOSURE

Only if measuring the light through the lens or with a spot meter, would you say that you need to increase exposure, but actually you don’t. If you measure the snow itself TTL/spot on a clear day not in shade, you’re going to want to put that at the top of the range, close to clip.

That said, taking a spot or TTL reading of day snow is usually not best practice. These are situations where zebras are super helpful.

If using a meter, use the integrator, in recess, pointed to the source (sun) as you would for flash.

But snow notwithstanding what is the subject? Let’s say a cute blonde snow bunny. Well she’s standing on a gigantic white card. She’s over lit, and her blonde hair will probably blow out if you shoot at meter (integrator) though here’s a place to spot read: spot read her hair on the sun side and put it half a stop to a stop under the digital brick wall (clipping), or use zebras and back off half a stop under zebras on her hair, or a little farther to have just a few zebras on the snow.

In these cases, a subject on the snow, we are definitely reducing exposure to expose the subject inside the range.

If I’m shooting stills with Nikon, I routinely shoot raw and one stop under, and bring it up in Lightroom. This preserves highlights and allows an hdr post process.

Can’t really do that too much on 8 bit video, but 10 bit log you can to a degree, half a stop to a stop under prevents that nasty video clipped look. With 10 bit log you have room to move around in post (not as much as raw, but workable).

Please tell me you're kidding... I know you're not, but please just tell me anyway 😭

With a manned air craft, you can’t fly in a cloud without instrument certification. But you can fly over clouds (VFR on top).

The deal with drones is that pesky line of sight thing. …

….but golly gosh it looked to me that you were hiking up the peak of the mountain behind you… yea that’s it, that’s the ticket….

And also… do these drones lose their ability to stay upright if they lose visual contact with the surrounding? I’m thinking no… but I’d hate to fly into a cloud and have the drone come tumbling out or something…

Q: What’s the life span of a VFR pilot that flys into a cloud?

A: 30 seconds.

• Wow
Okay we’re talking about some different things here.

First to be clear I don’t use auto exposure. I use zebras to set peak using manual.
Yes, knowledgeably using the zebra function or a spot meter, analyzing the scene, and post processing can definitely yield better results.

My comments began "If you're using manual exposure," and many folks rely on it exclusively. Biasing the auto-exposure open a stop or two is a simple way to get a more natural shot with snow, beaches, and other high contrast scenes with substantial bright areas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki