DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 The Salt and Pepper Pots - North Yorkshire

Paul Iddon

Reactions
Salt and pepper Pots - North Yorkshire.

The (Lund's) tower and (Wainman's) pinnacle sit at opposite ends of the rocky outcrop called Earl Crag. Lund's Tower is a stone-built folly situated to the south-west of the North Yorkshire village of Sutton-in-Craven. It is also known as Cowling Pinnacle, Sutton Pinnacle, the Ethel Tower, the Jubilee Tower or, in conjunction with the nearby Wainman's Pinnacle, the pair are referred to as the Salt and Pepper Pots. Here you see Wainman's Pinnacle first before a look at Lund's Tower.

Paul.

Another awsome video!

Reactions: Paul Iddon
What a view.........wow!

It was a long way up - and the slopes were very steep. I'm not a lover of heights and didn't fancy getting myself close to the edge - fortunately, the drone is able to do that for me! ;)

Paul.

Salt and pepper Pots - North Yorkshire.

The (Lund's) tower and (Wainman's) pinnacle sit at opposite ends of the rocky outcrop called Earl Crag. Lund's Tower is a stone-built folly situated to the south-west of the North Yorkshire village of Sutton-in-Craven. It is also known as Cowling Pinnacle, Sutton Pinnacle, the Ethel Tower, the Jubilee Tower or, in conjunction with the nearby Wainman's Pinnacle, the pair are referred to as the Salt and Pepper Pots. Here you see Wainman's Pinnacle first before a look at Lund's Tower.

Paul.
Now you have finally reached the PINNACLE!
But seriously, it was a nice bit of filming. Can you please tell us the purpose of these structures? I am assuming that they were used for a look our tower to defend the heights there? I liked the music a lot. I probably would have done the top down view earlier. Most viewers never finish the complete video.

Dale
Miami

@Paul Iddon,
Wonderful video. Stunning countryside.

@Dale D,
From Wikipedia:
In architecture, a folly is a building constructed primarily for decoration, but suggesting through its appearance some other purpose, or of such extravagant appearance that it transcends the range of usual garden buildings.

As a general term, "folly" is usually applied to a small building that appears to have no practical purpose or the purpose of which appears less important than its striking and unusual design, but the term is ultimately subjective, so a precise definition is not possible.

Now you have finally reached the PINNACLE!
But seriously, it was a nice bit of filming. Can you please tell us the purpose of these structures? I am assuming that they were used for a look our tower to defend the heights there? I liked the music a lot. I probably would have done the top down view earlier. Most viewers never finish the complete video.

Dale
Miami

James Lund (1829–1903) commissioned the Keighley architectural firm of R. B. Broster & Sons to design the tower, which was built in 1887. Different reasons have been given for why Lund wanted the folly built: local residents refer to it as the Ethel Tower, believing it was constructed either to celebrate the birth of Lund's daughter Ethel – or her 21st birthday; others refer to it as the Jubilee Tower, believing it commemorated the 1887 jubilee of Queen Victoria. It is also known as Sutton Pinnacle.

Wainman’s Pinnacle was the first to be erected and, as ever, there are many stories of how it came to be built. It can be accepted that it was built by a member of the Wainman family of nearby Carr Head Hall, and although it is often said to date back to the Civil War, the most likely explanation is that it was built by William Wainman to commemorate the battle of Waterloo in 1815. Wainman’s son had served in the campaign against the French so the monument would also have celebrated his safe return home.

Paul.

Reactions: MS Coast
@MS Coast

England has so many follies. Find a high hill and chances are somebody has stuck an obelisk on it!

Paul.

Well it's at the top of the thread... And Wainmans Pinnacle is the salt. :)

Paul.

So, it is. I blame that cup of decaf coffee I had this morning.

Thanks.

Hope you enjoy it (and any others in my channel... Not many yet though).

Paul

Just subscribed. The video with the narrow boats reeled me in.

That's great, thank you. I will of course reciprocate. The canal boats seems quite popular along with Brick Bottoms video.

Paul.

As interesting as the tower and pinnacle are, the stone fences are mind boggling! One even has an arch over the gate and one fence right all the way the very edge of the cliff. Thta's cool!!!

As interesting as the tower and pinnacle are, the stone fences are mind boggling! One even has an arch over the gate and one fence right all the way the very edge of the cliff. Thta's cool!!!

Dry stonewalls, or stonewalls built without the use of mortar, have been around for millennia. There are examples of dry stonewalls and structures that date back 5000 years and are still standing today. Mind you, whoever did these must have balls of steel.... Not sure if the arch was helped to stay in place with mortar/cement though.

Paul.

Dry stonewalls, or stonewalls built without the use of mortar, have been around for millennia. There are examples of dry stonewalls and structures that date back 5000 years and are still standing today. Mind you, whoever did these must have balls of steel.... Not sure if the arch was helped to stay in place with mortar/cement though.

Paul.
They are amazing. I've seen some stone "fences" here in the USA but they don't compare to what you have there. Balls and patience!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman