DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thermal images converter

JonPak

Reactions
Hey everyone,

did anyone try this converter Tools – Aerial Thermal Imaging ?

I tested, it converts the thermal images to a format, that is supported by FLIR. But looks like, that the FLIR studio shows wrong temperatures. I compared it with DJI thermal analysis tool. The difference is significant. Could anyone to test it with your thermal images? Do you have the same issue?

Hi @JonPak I want to share my findings, here I made a simple tool with gui that let you convert any type of DJI thermal image into a Tiff image with one band containing temperature in celsius.

I made it using the DJI thermal SDK and python.

It is Hosted on my website and packaged as a self extracting .exe with 7zip,

I needed to package it because it needs part of the Dji sdk as dependency.

just download it, run(extract) where you want, and after extraction open the GUI that is the file called: "DJI Image Processor.exe"

1702411053848.png

It works with all dji models supported by the DJI Thermal SDK
This is the link:
https://miro-rava.com/documents/DJI_Image_Processor.exe

Note: The section called"DJI Air 2 -Frame Extractor" was used for another purpose: (extracting geotagged frames from Air 2 videos giving as input a starting altitude)

For any info or the source code you can contact me!

Reactions: TnDronePilot
Hi @JonPak I want to share my findings, here I made a simple tool with gui that let you convert any type of DJI thermal image into a Tiff image with one band containing temperature in celsius.

I made it using the DJI thermal SDK and python.

It is Hosted on my website and packaged as a self extracting .exe with 7zip,

I needed to package it because it needs part of the Dji sdk as dependency.

just download it, run(extract) where you want, and after extraction open the GUI that is the file called: "DJI Image Processor.exe"

View attachment 170977

It works with all dji models supported by the DJI Thermal SDK
This is the link:
https://miro-rava.com/documents/DJI_Image_Processor.exe

Note: The section called"DJI Air 2 -Frame Extractor" was used for another purpose: (extracting geotagged frames from Air 2 videos giving as input a starting altitude)

For any info or the source code you can contact me!
Wow, this is very kind of you!
Thank you very much for sharing.

Let me know if it works for you!
Let me know if it works for you!
Good day,

Thank you for sharing.

Unfortunately, AVG antivirus identifies your file as a malware (extraction file and also after extraction). I hope it's not true. :)

Anyway, I tried it and checked the converted image, but FLIR studio doesn't support the converted file :(

Attachments

• Screenshot_16.png
    Screenshot_16.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 2
Good day,

Thank you for sharing.

Unfortunately, AVG antivirus identifies your file as a malware (extraction file and also after extraction). I hope it's not true. :)

Anyway, I tried it and checked the converted image, but FLIR studio doesn't support the converted file :(
Hi, if you trust me I can assure you that it is not a virus, I can send you the source code in python that does the same thing, you will need to install some libraries to make it function.
I packaged it in an exe in order to make it easy to use also for people that don't have programming skills.
Unfortunately since I'm not making money on this I cannot buy a certificate of 300€ per year to make it not recognized as a virus by Windows /defender/aws/avast or so on.
The extracted images are radiometric TIFFs, to see if it works you can try to open them with something like agisoft Metashape or image(simple tool to annalize images).
Let me know if is okay for you!
I'm happy to help

Hi, if you trust me I can assure you that it is not a virus, I can send you the source code in python that does the same thing, you will need to install some libraries to make it function.
I packaged it in an exe in order to make it easy to use also for people that don't have programming skills.
Unfortunately since I'm not making money on this I cannot buy a certificate of 300€ per year to make it not recognized as a virus by Windows /defender/aws/avast or so on.
The extracted images are radiometric TIFFs, to see if it works you can try to open them with something like agisoft Metashape or image(simple tool to annalize images).
Let me know if is okay for you!
I'm happy to help
Thank you for your efforts. Maybe do you have some other tool, that could convert DJI thermal images to the normal R-JPG format, which will be supported by FLIR? I have tried to create something with ChatGPT, unfortunately not successful (I don't have programmer skills :) )

Thank you for your efforts. Maybe do you have some other tool, that could convert DJI thermal images to the normal R-JPG format, which will be supported by FLIR? I have tried to create something with ChatGPT, unfortunately not successful (I don't have programmer skills :) )
I will try tomorrow or in the next days to improve the tool with this added functionality, I will let you know off course!

I'm using Thermoconverter...it works well but has a heafty price tag for the perpetual license. ThermoConverter | Converting radiometric data made easy
Yes, Thermoconverter has a heafty price tag, the only thing that my software misses right now is the possibility to convert into FLIR rjpeg format instead of .tiff
As said previously I will try to make it happen but it is more difficult than I though.
Anyway let me know if my software works for you and if you need more functionalities or have improvements ideas.

Good day,

Thank you for sharing.

This might be a false positive/coincidence, but I would advise care with this tool, especially since I did not find any reliable confirmation that it actually does what it advertises.

This might be a false positive/coincidence, but I would advise care with this tool, especially since I did not find any reliable confirmation that it actually does what it advertises.
Hi, Of course the file is not certificated because since it is a side project i cannot spend 300$ to buy a software certificate, inside the extraction folder you can find also the source code in python with a requirement file , if you want you can compile the file by yourself using Auto-Py-To-Exe and the outputs files will be identical to the two compiled .EXEs already present in the compressed archive.
I understand that i do not have any means to convince you that it is not a virus, but I did not understand what you mean by " especially since I did not find any reliable confirmation that it actually does what it advertises." are you having problems running the tool? If soo you can Tell me and I will try to help you if it is possible. Otherwise you can check out this reddit thread: here is a proof that some user managed to make it work, and now the tool should work for anybody.
Maybe you have an older version, try to download it again.
Also as said previously, I'm trying to add the functionality to convert the images also to FLIR and not only to tiff format, so i will update the tool in the next days once more.
In any case if you have questions feel free to contact me and I will happily reply!

Hi, Of course the file is not certificated because since it is a side project i cannot spend 300$ to buy a software certificate, inside the extraction folder you can find also the source code in python with a requirement file , if you want you can compile the file by yourself using Auto-Py-To-Exe and the outputs files will be identical to the two compiled .EXEs already present in the compressed archive.
I understand that i do not have any means to convince you that it is not a virus, but I did not understand what you mean by " especially since I did not find any reliable confirmation that it actually does what it advertises." are you having problems running the tool? If soo you can Tell me and I will try to help you if it is possible. Otherwise you can check out this reddit thread: here is a proof that some user managed to make it work, and now the tool should work for anybody.
Maybe you have an older version, try to download it again.
Also as said previously, I'm trying to add the functionality to convert the images also to FLIR and not only to tiff format, so i will update the tool in the next days once more.
In any case if you have questions feel free to contact me and I will happily reply!
Hi,
primo - nowhere did I mention/complain anything about the binaries being signed or not.
secundo - nowhere did I authoritatively state that this IS malicious code.
tertio - I read that reddit thread earlier, none of the commenters state clearly that they got what they expected to get (instead - blank images, command prompt opening briefly, ...)
quarto - yes I did run this in a sandbox environment but the resulting outfile was not valid TIFF and the program stopped responding to input.
I then ran the binary through virustotal and the results are what they are - for a niche binary 8 days old (compiled at 18 Dec) I wouldn't expect any mainstream engine to actually have a watermartk signature for it.

If this is legitimate code and nothing fishy is going on behind the scenes then you really should consider that it won't pass as such for many users and how to improve on that.

That being said, I will drop the sample by my AV provider and see what turns out. Their assessment will be an ultimate confirmation/invalidation of my suspicions.

Hi, I don't know why you have taken my words in the previous message in such an aggressive manner,
as I said this tool is simply my solution to a problem that is currently only solvable via using expensive programs like thermoconverter.
the white tiffs that you mentioned are as such because windows is not made for this type of tiffs, and instead they indeed contain information that is usable in softwares like agisoft metashape or Pix4dmapper.

The only reason i packed it into an exe file is because I know that many final users don't know how to deal with python code , obviously since there is also the source file, in plain python code, one can decide to use that directly if it is comfortable doing so.

I really don't understand why your message sounds so aggressive, maybe I'm only interpreting your words in a bad way.

regarding the program actually working, I can send you some emails exchanged between me and a worker at the Austrian Federal Institute for Geology, Geophysics, Climatology and Meteorology, They used my tool and found that it was working properly.
Also , about the reddit thread, I don't know if you read it fully , but the original problems have been resolved and also for the commenters on that thread the program was working in its last version.

I hope that this helps and clarifies everything, and also please when you receive a response from your AV provider let me know what they said.

as a side note , this is the first time i've tried packaging python files into exe, If you have suggestions on how to do it better please let me know!

Whether I was/am being aggressive - not for me to judge, let other readers decide.
But to put an end to this beginning of a flamewar (or whatever those are called nowadays) let me reiterate my arguments:
- I find using new/novel software of unknown provenience a big "be careful" flag
- If that software happens to trigger some other flags, the bigger the concern outlined in the point above
- I believe I have the right to express the above concerns in a way of a fair warning to the rest of the public, for the public to judge as relevant or not.

Truth be told, if it wasn't for your fierce reply to my 1st post, that warning remark of mine would be on its best way to being not worthy of consideration.
Take it easy, it's Christmask for f___'s sake :)

Whether I was/am being aggressive - not for me to judge, let other readers decide.
But to put an end to this beginning of a flamewar (or whatever those are called nowadays) let me reiterate my arguments:
- I find using new/novel software of unknown provenience a big "be careful" flag
- If that software happens to trigger some other flags, the bigger the concern outlined in the point above
- I believe I have the right to express the above concerns in a way of a fair warning to the rest of the public, for the public to judge as relevant or not.

Truth be told, if it wasn't for your fierce reply to my 1st post, that warning remark of mine would be on its best way to being not worthy of consideration.
Take it easy, it's Christmask for f___'s sake :)
I of course don't intend to go down the rabbit hole of starting a fierce discussion, for no reason, I think that we both thought of the other's words in the wrong way.
Of course you are welcomed to make your remarks about the security concerns about my software, and indeed if it wasn't for your post about security concerns I wouldn't have though to add the source code inside the auto extracting zip file. So I really thank you about all of this, your comments have been accepted as very informative from my side as I'm not familiar with exes from python and their security concerns.
After all of this I still don't think that my first reply was "fierce" but also I'm not here to make a final judgment since my English is not mother tongue, anyway, have a happy Christmas too!

Yes, Thermoconverter has a heafty price tag, the only thing that my software misses right now is the possibility to convert into FLIR rjpeg format instead of .tiff
As said previously I will try to make it happen but it is more difficult than I though.
Anyway let me know if my software works for you and if you need more functionalities or have improvements ideas.
Hi Miro, I hope you are doing fine. Maybe have you tried to update the software regarding the FLIR issue?

Hi Miro, I hope you are doing fine. Maybe have you tried to update the software regarding the FLIR issue?
Hi @JonPak ,
Unfortunately I tried but it is a much bigger endeavour than i thought, this because FLIR reading software uses proprietary data formats internally and it is not possible to modify the thermal metadata inside the rjpegs without the FLIR atlas SDK , which is available only on demand. I've requested it but at the moment I haven't received any response by FLIR.
If you or someone else finds a different method to convert tiffs into flir rjpegs, that will be awesome, of course in that case let me know!
I will keep this thread updated in case I find something new.

Also, I've put the code on github if someone wants to suggest features or open a pull request.
GitHub - MiroRavaProj/DJI-Tools-and-Stuff: This is a project that tries to combine various DJI related tools

Hey everyone,

did anyone try this converter Tools – Aerial Thermal Imaging ?

I tested, it converts the thermal images to a format, that is supported by FLIR. But looks like, that the FLIR studio shows wrong temperatures. I compared it with DJI thermal analysis tool. The difference is significant. Could anyone to test it with your thermal images? Do you have the same issue?
I am currently using "ThermalConverter" to convert DJI format from the Mavic 3T to Flir format for tuning and report writing. The conversation does strip all the parameters. In my case, I am performing roof/solar inspection so Quantitative is not an issue. You can add the parameters back in from Flir Studio and bulk change.

Just curios, how much does the converter tool cost? Is it a one time cost or annual subscription.

Reactions: JonPak
I am currently using "ThermalConverter" to convert DJI format from the Mavic 3T to Flir format for tuning and report writing. The conversation does strip all the parameters. In my case, I am performing roof/solar inspection so Quantitative is not an issue. You can add the parameters back in from Flir Studio and bulk change.

Just curios, how much does the converter tool cost? Is it a one time cost or annual subscription.
I tried both Thermoconverter and the aerial thermal imaging tool, and I found that the do basically the same thing, but the latter gives wrong values most of the times.

I the final product you need is FLIR format, I'm currently trying to improve my tool in order to convert images to FLIR format, once I succeed I will let you now (by the way, my tool is free and will remain free and open source)
You can find it on github or on my website

Reactions: JonPak and jaja6009

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1