DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think carefully before purchasing if you’re in the EU and UK

It’s so ambiguous that it’s meaning rubbish. Any court would just throw it out as useless.
The CAP is confusing, because it is an addendum to a European EUSA document that is quite clear! The April 2020 update to CAP 1789 tells you to reference the European Union Safety Agency in its introduction and provides links to the EASA "Easy Access Rules for UAS" document (below). If you want to see a clear document about how this all works, then get a copy of that doc' as your main reference. Then use the CAA CAP doc' to see if there are any 'local' UK changes.

Reactions: Skyfli
Out of interest, what is the likely punishment for breaching this code?
Obviously if you're stupid enough to start flying near airports or high security government buildings then its going to be a hell of a lot more than a slap on the wrist...but have their been any examples of the current code being breached and prosecuted?

Reactions: Skyfli
Haha, upset? You're the one who's upset because DJI didn't cater to your specific needs.
You're right though, it's pointless arguing, I'll leave you to feel agrieved.
Out of interest, what is the likely punishment for breaching this code?
Obviously if you're stupid enough to start flying near airports or high security government buildings then its going to be a hell of a lot more than a slap on the wrist...but have their been any examples of the current code being breached and prosecuted?

About as likely as getting done for watching tele without a tv license - lol.

The Old bill won't even bother if you get mugged or your house robbed.

In 2 years our biggest wroory will be whether or not we can charge our batteries as the national grid cripples under a failing brexit britain, as dystopia takes hold of our failed UK.

From what I see after November 2020 you can not fly with any none involved people in the flying AREA not just close to them unless you take the test! This will give you another 2 years untill you will have to replace the drone.

From what I see after November 2020 you can not fly with any none involved people in the flying AREA not just close to them unless you take the test! This will give you another 2 years untill you will have to replace the drone.
If you have a 'Legacy' UAS, then it will fly in the 'Open' class, under category A3 rules. This is pretty much the same as current Drone Code rules - with a change to the 'separation' ruling which looks like it will change the exclusion zone from a 50-metre dome around people and buildings, to a 50m diameter cylinder i.e. the rules will prevent over-flight of non-involved personnel.

If you have a 'Legacy' UAS, then it will fly in the 'Open' class, under category A3 rules. This is pretty much the same as current Drone Code rules - with a change to the 'separation' ruling which looks like it will change the exclusion zone from a 50-metre dome around people and buildings, to a 50m diameter cylinder i.e. the rules will prevent over-flight of non-involved personnel.
Below is a copy from Heli guys site:
After November 2020 (Transitional Period)
Where Can I Fly?
There can be no uninvolved people present within the area of flight; and there can be no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial, or recreational areas (A3 subcategory of Open category).

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory). There is no limitation on proximity to buildings.

Below is a copy from Heli guys site:
After November 2020 (Transitional Period)
Where Can I Fly?
There can be no uninvolved people present within the area of flight; and there can be no flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial, or recreational areas (A3 subcategory of Open category).

Want more freedom? Complete an A2 Certificate of Competency (A2 C of C) and you can fly as close as 50m horizontally of uninvolved people (A2 subcategory). There is no limitation on proximity to buildings.
The CAA CAP1789 doc' provides the following in its Q&A section:

13. What are the separation requirements from uninvolved people in the A3 subcategory?

There should not be any uninvolved persons “endangered within the range where the UA is flown during the entire time of the UAS operation”. This means that there should not be anyone that is not part of the flight in any part of the area that the aircraft is planned to be flown, and people should be at least 50m away from the ‘boundary’ of the flying area. If an uninvolved person ‘strays’ into the flying area, then the aircraft must be moved away from that uninvolved person immediately.
The 1:1 rule (see Q 14 below) allows remote pilots to make a quick and simple assessment of the relative risk. However, if the person stays in the operating area (as opposed to just ‘passing through’), then the flight would need to be stopped.
To me, it looks like the new documentation is simply trying to further define what is currently termed as 'Built-up area' and/or 'Congested area'. There was a requirement for a 150m exclusion zone around them in the Drone Code, and it seems that there's the same for a; "residential, commercial, industrial, or recreational area" - all of which at various times, CAA have confirmed that they consider those areas as 'built-up'. Note that none of those 'terms' apply to the on-its-own type country cottage - or to cars, trains or boats - as is defined for the 50-metre exclusion rule in the current Drone Code.
The answer to question 13 above tells me that there is still a need to maintain a 50m separation from uninvolved persons - but the big difference now, is the answer to question 1 in the Q&A:

1. Are the Open category separation distances from uninvolved persons still based on a ‘bubble’ around the person, so we can fly over the top of them?

No, the separation distances are all based on ‘horizontal separation’ (i.e. like a ‘cylinder around the person) and they must not be overflown at any height.

I must admit to some confusion however, that in the absence of any 'equivalent' to the current "Never fly closer than 50m to buildings, cars, trains or boats - you could perhaps take this two ways;
1) either the 50m clearance rule no longer exists, and you can fly closer to [lone] buildings, cars, trains or boats ...
2) Or - the presence of people overrides everything i.e. as soon as people are involved in the flying area (near those buildings, cars, trains or boats), you need to get 50m away from them horizontally.

In regard to more freedom - you'd not only need to get the A2 cert' - but wouldn't you also need to have a drone that's got the EASA Class label on it too? If you stay with your 'Legacy' drone, is the A2 cert' going to be of any use to you??

Reactions: Lastrexking
In regard to more freedom - you'd not only need to get the A2 cert' - but wouldn't you also need to have a drone that's got the EASA Class label on it too? If you stay with your 'Legacy' drone, is the A2 cert' going to be of any use to you??

From my understanding after November there appears to be a 2 year window to replace your current drone with an EASA class one after which the A2 cert means nothing!!

From my understanding after November there appears to be a 2 year window to replace your current drone with an EASA class one after which the A2 cert means nothing!!
So - just to clarify - do you think that getting the A2 Certification will allow you to fly within the scope of the A2 rules, with a Legacy drone, up until the 2022 date?

So - just to clarify - do you think that getting the A2 Certification will allow you to fly within the scope of the A2 rules, with a Legacy drone, up until the 2022 date?
That’s how I read it.

but beyond 2022 the accreditation , with a legacy drone will revert back to 150m or not?

Thats how I read it the New Test will give 2 years to legacy aircraft after which you either upgrade or revert to :

"No uninvolved people present within the area of flight; No flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas (A3 subcategory of Open category). "

The Test appears to be renewable every 5 years.

Thats how I read it the New Test will give 2 years to legacy aircraft after which you either upgrade or revert to :

"No uninvolved people present within the area of flight; No flight within 150m horizontally of residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas (A3 subcategory of Open category). "

The Test appears to be renewable every 5 years.
Yep, that’s how I see it too. I was going to take the A2CofC, but there’s not point until normal life resumes. Hopefully, we'll be closer to a drone that complies. Maybe the Mavic Pro 3.

So the commercial folks are in a quandry really - waiting for a compliant drone would seem the best option for those. For myself as a leisure flyer I think even I am tempted to wait until something compliant comes out - MM2 maybe - though in the interim I am going to monitor my flights to see how often I would fly with folk within 150m of me within m flight area before jumping... so tempted though... :)

It appears it will make certain commercial use a lot more accessible quote:
New drone regulations are to be introduced in the UK next year, which will remove the PfCO (Permission for Commerical Operations) but have the potential to unlock more flying opportunities for more people.

The changes will come into play from Wednesday, July 1, 2020, and are designed to align with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and build on the recently-introduced Drone and Model Aircraft Registration Scheme in the UK.

The new rules will do away with the limitations and ambiguity around commercial and non-commercial drone operations, and will instead be based around the type of drone you have and where you fly it.

In some cases, this will mean that you will be able to fly over people, or even get as close to five metres to people – opening up huge possibilities for certain missions.

So the commercial folks are in a quandry really - waiting for a compliant drone would seem the best option for those. For myself as a leisure flyer I think even I am tempted to wait until something compliant comes out - MM2 maybe - though in the interim I am going to monitor my flights to see how often I would fly with folk within 150m of me within m flight area before jumping... so tempted though... :)

The Air2 is a fantastic drone. Absolutely no doubt about it. It’s also a really good price. I have the original, and it’s easily my favourite of all my drones. If I was purely flying for fun, I’d snap one up.

Reactions: Gkinghrn
watch this video.

C2 Class Aircraft with an A2 CofC
You’ll be able to fly down to 30m of uninvolved people, or down to 5m if the aircraft has been switched to a low-speed mode with a C2 class aircraft.
C2 class aircraft need to have less than a 4 kg MTOM, be ‘safely made’ as determined by EU manufacturer standards, it needs noise limitations, a remote ID and a form of geo awareness.
It also needs a low-speed mode which limits the maximum speed of the aircraft to 3 m/s (approx 6.7 mph).

‘Legacy’ Aircraft with an A2 CofC
If your aircraft is between 250g and 500g MTOM (like the DJI Mavic Mini) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and then you will be able to fly close to uninvolved people as long as you don’t overfly them. If your aircraft is between 500g and 2kg MTOM (like the DJI Mavic 2) then you will need to hold an A2 CofC and you will have to maintain a 50m separation distance from uninvolved people. You will be able to fly these ‘legacy’ aircraft under these permissions with an A2 CofC between 1st July 2020 and 30th June 2022. After this point, you will only be able to fly these aircraft in the A3 ‘far from people’ category which means you’ve got to stay 150m away from residential, industrial, business and recreational areas and a minimum of 50m from uninvolved people.

Hmm thats a handful to remember for us that just want to go out and fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
čikuli