DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about a MP

rustydiver

Reactions
I at the point off pressing the order button for a new Mavic but flay aways concern me, its quite a bit off money to loose.
How common are they?
Are they usually caused by pilot error?

Im not new to drones I've built my own in the past but want something smaller to play with, carry around with me.

Many thanks Simon

As in all of aviation, I believe most problems are pilot error. If you get the Mavic, study and understand the manual (it leaves a lot to be desired), watch youtube videos - there are many excellent ones ( I like Michael Kincaid) then get comfortable with your Mavic by starting simply and only expanding operations as you get comfortable, you should have very few problems. There are some software problems that pop up but most you will learn to deal with. This site does a good job of keeping you appraised. Example - Some have had power failure on takeoff when using auto takeoff - so takeoff manually until you hear it's fixed. etc. So there is some risk but I think it's small if you operate responsibly. If you operate aggressively without thorough preparation you may run into problems - most will be due to pilot error. That's my opinion.

Thanks.
I'm not one who likes to fly it miles away. I like to be able to see it.
Keep close get used to it.

Smart of you to think about that. When I was looking at buying one of my first quality drones, I asked myself, how much money am I willing to lose? Meaning should it just fly away, what dollar amount would I not totally be mad at myself... Once you get over that or come to terms with that its a bit easier.

Fly-aways do happen. I do think pilot error is the cause in quite a few of them. I think the odds of a having a fly away can be reduced by not rushing when you go to fly, by being "procedure" oriented, not ignoring warning signs from the remote or drone, reading what you can and practicing, knowing the environment you are flying in...

When you look at the threads here or other drone threads when someone posts about a flyaway, you'll "typically" see its a person who has not had their drone very long or did not take the time to study the drone and its manuals...

I at the point off pressing the order button for a new Mavic but flay aways concern me, its quite a bit off money to loose.
How common are they?
Are they usually caused by pilot error?

Im not new to drones I've built my own in the past but want something smaller to play with, carry around with me.

Many thanks Simon

It is incredible.. There were some early problems but I think the majority of the issues have been addressed. Mine is incredible. I fly it everywhere and i'm not afraid to put it downrange where I live. Granted most of my flying is in the middle of nowhere, where there is little to no interference, but you aren't going to have a fly away. If you do dumb things, don't follow good practices you may have a give-away... but flyaway.. highly unlikely.

If you are worried about a giveaway or flyaway purchase care refresh and fly carefree.

Reactions: rustydiver
Just to be clear, if you do something dumb and it flies away, your DJI care refresh isn't necessarily going to cover you.

Well I have nothing to worry about. I don't do dumb things. Care refresh is pretty comprehensive. I think crashing it is dumb, flying it where you shouldn't also, not advisable and risky. I can't really think of a scenario, under which I fly, where care refresh won't get me another Mavic. YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure what I've done ;).
But whatever I've done I've got to keep it away from her indoors. :eek:
She won't notice another toy in the collection. I can hide the empty box up in the roof.

Had a chat with DJI on Friday and my estimated dispatch is this Wednesday, So they say, i will wait to see.
Mind you looking at the long range weather forecast I'm not going to get out for a few weeks, looks like we got rain for the next 2 weeks at least. :(
At least it will give me time to read the manual and have a play with it indoors seeing how it all works. Obviously not flying indoors, props off just in case.

Not sure what I've done ;).
But whatever I've done I've got to keep it away from her indoors. :eek:
She won't notice another toy in the collection. I can hide the empty box up in the roof.

Had a chat with DJI on Friday and my estimated dispatch is this Wednesday, So they say, i will wait to see.
Mind you looking at the long range weather forecast I'm not going to get out for a few weeks, looks like we got rain for the next 2 weeks at least. :(
At least it will give me time to read the manual and have a play with it indoors seeing how it all works. Obviously not flying indoors, props off just in case.

Dont run it too long indoors with props off or it will give you an error message. The Mav knows when the motors are spinning and the props are off. The motors are used to having a load on them, and the sensors detect missing props to prevent flying with a loose one. Very smart innovation from DJI.

Reactions: rustydiver
Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum