DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This got me excited!! Mavic Pro listed #1!!

Hahaha. Flying indoors is fine but it's NOT for beginners. The default belief that indoors flying should be easier / safer is the opposite of truth. Start in a big open field. And watching videos is definitely the way to go after reading the manual.
This is true. Also note that office chairs are NOT compatible with Mavic propellers...

BTW have any of you guys ever tried to lift anything with your Mavic? Just for fun?

I've taken a1 roll of insulation tape and one roll of self bunding tape to the top of our tower (100m up), used a length of fishing line so I could swing the load into the rigger without endangering the Mavic too much. This is also the day I found out about the camera settings dial and had contrast go crazy. I have climbed the tower before but just to take up some tape seemed too much trouble. On the first flight I went up to check up on him (the rigger, silly bugger didn;'t take up the walkie talkie) as soon as he saw the drone he started making hand siginals for what he wanted. I descended and loaded up the items. Not something I would recommend but made for an interesting flight. The footage is washed out so I had to do it by eye not as I wanted to on the FPV. He grabbed the line and bit it off quickly so I flew free. Careful not to descend too quickly and get the line wraped in the props.

BTW have any of you guys ever tried to lift anything with your Mavic? Just for fun?
I lifted 100’ of 1/4” paracord over a huge pine tree branch last summer. The mission was to raise a WiFi hotspot (aka my phone) to connect to the Go4 app. which would not open without connecting to DJI.:eek:

The mission ultimately failed as weight of the paracord and dragging across the branch was too much for the Mavic. I had to CSC to stop the motors, hoping the weight of the drone would bring down the cord.

The emergency stop command is not fast enough for this purpose. The propellers hit the cordage with enough force to securely bind the Mavic to the branch 83’ up the tree. :(

Fortunately, I had only attached the paracord to the drone with a rubber band. A couple of tugs and the cord and Mavic came tumbling down.:p No damage other than propellers.

I will succeed next year! It will be much easier with the correct app running. DJI Pilot app. connects, but poor video connectivity.:(

Oh, and a lighter cordage for Mavic lifting purposes.:)

Reactions: dirkclod
If you've never droned before go to your local hobby shop and drop $60.00 on a Blade Inductrix RTF. It will teach you orientation and be a great indoor trainer, and it's almost indestructable......plus you can make a Tiny Whoop out of it and FPV like crazy.
I'd also recommend the Parrot Mambo, but get the optional controller. Very fun indoor / trainer drone.

I tried attaching a larger light / battery (the kind for a bicycle) and the Mavic didn't like that. Phantom 4 can carry some extra cargo though. :)
I have to say, for the kind of performance the Mavic pulls, i am surprised it doesn't carry more. I mean, the thing can launch up pretty fast; it feels like there is some lifting capacity there..

I lifted 100’ of 1/4” paracord over a huge pine tree branch last summer. The mission was to raise a WiFi hotspot (aka my phone) to connect to the Go4 app. which would not open without connecting to DJI.

I will succeed next year! It will be much easier with the correct app running. DJI Pilot app. connects, but poor video connectivity.:(

Oh, and a lighter cordage for Mavic lifting purposes.:)

If you’re Mavic was on .700 firmware you can fly without logging in. I fly with Litchi without even having DJI GO 4 installed on my iPad.

Then you wouldn’t have to do this risky job at all.

I've been researching different drones. Trying to find something that would be a good drone to get started with. Matter of fact I just signed up here today as well. Actually I signed up here and I think a sister site for Phantom owners.

But anyway you have all been awesome and I thank you. I even set up Google news feeds about "Mavic Pro" and this article was sent to me by Google: Top 10 Last-Minute Gifts for Photographers

Mavic Pro named top #1 and the Spark made it too in #5. That was a pretty informative article as well!

Ahh... I feel so much better and excited, I just hope I can get it by Thanksgiving next week!! I have 4 days off. :)

So did any of you pick up flight simulator software to speed up learning how to fly your drone?

Any tips you can share?

Big thanks!!
You don't need it, take it slow at 1st, find a open space & you won't believe how easy she is to fly. Hope you kno basics

If you’re Mavic was on .700 firmware you can fly without logging in. I fly with Litchi without even having DJI GO 4 installed on my iPad.

Then you wouldn’t have to do this risky job at all.
I agree there is some risk to the Mavic, but to get a hot spot at our camp would get me kudos with the Mrs.;)

Btw, the firmware version made no difference. I’m still running 1.03.02 09D371BB-B42E-4916-AA16-401AB78A3307.png

Reactions: dirkclod
My daughter flew my Mavic to pick up a barbie doll on a hook hanging underneath and then dropped the barbie off a short flight later. Does that count? :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom