DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tilted horizon problem

ChristianZZZ

Reactions
Hi guys,

I own the Mavic since November 2016 and I am also very satisfied with it. Just like many other users I also have the problem of always tilted horizon.
Many videos on Youtube describe the problem, but there seems to be no solution.

Since a friend of mine also has a Mavic and does not have the above problem, we have analyzed where the difference might lie.
I noticed that his Mavic has a "Gimball Roll" of 0.1, but my one has a roll of 2.7 to create a straight horizon.

In fact, there should be a way to put the Mavic into the water, then the Gimbal Roll to 0.0 and then put the camera along with Gimbal straight on a horizontal line.
Then you would always have, even after numerous pans, a straight horizon. At least my friend can always film great leveled videos, me definitely not.

Does anyone of you have a possibility to bring the Gimbal with the camera into the water AND have a gimbal roll of 0,0? Or can only DJI do that?
And just in case: No, IMU calibration, Gimbal calibration, compass calibration and also other software approaches do not have any effect on that.

What do you think?

What is the problem with having it set to 2.7 for a level horizon?

@rockydog: sorry, that was Kind of a "german" Translation. I ment "to Level" it.

@Egika: Like I mentioned, my friend has a roll of 0,1 and he has no horizon Problems. Me having a roll of 2,7 it is a Desaster.

Are you saying your gimbal does not stay level after setting it to 2.7 on a level ground? Is it rotating in mid flight?

Right. I Level it with gimbal roll while flying. Everything is okay and after rotating 180 degress the horizon is tilted again. So I have to adjust the roll again.

Did you try leveling it while on even ground (and with checking the gyros show a horizontal position of the craft)?

And the gimbal itself mechanically is properly in position?
Also check if the gimbal is set to follow and not to FPV mode!
If you can also rule out higher winds that would tilt the craft, you should open a case with DJI support.

Last edited:
I need 0.4 for a level horizon. But had to set it only once and it's been stable since then

Have you tried a COLD IMU and gimbal calibration? Sometimes that will help. Also, just FYI there has not been a DJI product I have owned that does not have some amount of horizon drift.... they really need to work on this. Even my new Phantom 4 Pro has issues:

Hi guys,

I own the Mavic since November 2016 and I am also very satisfied with it. Just like many other users I also have the problem of always tilted horizon.
Many videos on Youtube describe the problem, but there seems to be no solution.

Since a friend of mine also has a Mavic and does not have the above problem, we have analyzed where the difference might lie.
I noticed that his Mavic has a "Gimball Roll" of 0.1, but my one has a roll of 2.7 to create a straight horizon.

In fact, there should be a way to put the Mavic into the water, then the Gimbal Roll to 0.0 and then put the camera along with Gimbal straight on a horizontal line.
Then you would always have, even after numerous pans, a straight horizon. At least my friend can always film great leveled videos, me definitely not.

Does anyone of you have a possibility to bring the Gimbal with the camera into the water AND have a gimbal roll of 0,0? Or can only DJI do that?
And just in case: No, IMU calibration, Gimbal calibration, compass calibration and also other software approaches do not have any effect on that.

What do you think?

Well I have my gimbal roll adjustment to -0.7. yesterday after the firmware update I realized that it went back to 0.
So I adjusted it again an had to leave it to -0.7, I was wondering if there is a way to permanently adjust the gimbal so its a 0.

Having said that, everytime I take off I check and my horizon looks great, once I adjusted it dont have to adjust every single time.

I have had 3 units of Mavic. Each with a different problem whit the horizon. I am a perfectionist and I am obsessed with perfection. The problem of out level horizonIs is a common problem in all DJI gimbals in all DJI drones. I sent my last Mavic under DJI Care to repair it and they replaced it because the fan It was not working and the aircraft was heating up. Now, I have my Mavic, but the perfect horizon is at -0.4. Each drone, even the same model, is different. Getting a perfect drone at DJI is a lottery. When you have a perfect horizon, the cross air affect a lot too the stability of the horizon in the Mavic because the accelerometers are affected by G forces. DJI does not calibrate each unit before sending it for sale, this technology is very young ... you have to be patient and agree to live with small imperfections.

You can see this test:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerius
Have you tried a COLD IMU and gimbal calibration? Sometimes that will help. Also, just FYI there has not been a DJI product I have owned that does not have some amount of horizon drift.... they really need to work on this. Even my new Phantom 4 Pro has issues:

This problem is caused by two things:
1- G forces affect the stability of the accelerometers
2- You can minimize this problem if turn of the "Block gimbal when capture" in the DJI GO 4 camera options.

Reactions: Nerius

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998