DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Time Lapse photography

Koolbikes58

Reactions
I live in a beautiful area in the Southern Appalachians of SC and we get some great clouds moving thru the sky and I would love to take a time lapse of them with my MPP.

I have the ND filters....but how to capture the images? timing? etc?

Thank you in advance,
Mary

Welcome aboard
I'll be watching as I read something on this but don't know enough to help you.
May help if the knowledgeable folks know what you are flying....

Ive tried it with video and sped it up in post, works ok

If you're making time lapses of clouds, you don't need ND filters mate.

If you wanted to take time lapses of something fast moving like a waterfall or cars on a motorway - then you'd change your shutter speed to something like 1/4 second to portray the motion. You'd need a ND filter for this, because your low shutter speed would make the picture over exposed (too bright) without.

Clouds are slow moving, so it doesn't really matter what your shutter speed is. In this case, you'd just want a slow picture interval (How often a picture is taken).

Get your drone in the air, and point at the clouds you want to shoot. Put your M2P in Manual shooting mode and expose for the the lightest part of the image.

This youtube vid sums up timelapses using a Mavic well - note that hes using a ND filter because he wants motion blurry on fast moving cars in the daytime. if your shooting clouds, its not needed.

Reactions: GregE and Radpuppy
Thank you very much...I'm concerned about washed out images or video...we have some wonderful early morning fog and I noticed my pics dont seem very rich in color like the way I see it.

Thank you very much...I'm concerned about washed out images or video...we have some wonderful early morning fog and I noticed my pics dont seem very rich in color like the way I see it.
Overexposed images can not be helped much, so always err on the side of slight underexposure . That can be corrected in post shooting programs. If it is just a lack of what you want for color and not an exposure problem that also can be done in post. Many programs have saturation and luminosity which can make colors look more dynamic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone