DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for a Mavic and Drone Newbie?

bsshog40

Reactions
So it took me about 3 years to finally decide on buying a drone. I'm not an ios guy and was almost going for the Yuneek Q500 until the Mavic came out. Hands down, sounds like the perfect drone for me. So I bought me a mini ipad2 for it. I ordered the mavic off an ebay auth dealer on 10/31. Not looking like I'll see it until next month anyway. I'm not a gamer, so getting used to joysticks is going to be a slight challenge for me also. With all the sensors and tripod mode, I'm thinking I would be able to slowly conquer it. I'm 57 yrs old and fairly intelligent, so I don't have a problem understanding most of the basics. I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos also. I also get a little nervous with the saying I see a lot "if you fly, you will crash". Lol Hopefully tripod mode will prevent me from doing this for a while. So, besides all the videos, and the threads on this forum, are there any of you longtime drone operators out there have your own 2c to thrown in as advice? All would be appreciated!
Btw, my only reason for buying, is taking some scenery videos. I live in the country, and I thought would just be awesome to film from the sky!

Reactions: Tanis and Pete
I've been flying drones for three years, and recently got my part 107 certification, and yes I've had my share of mishaps. That said, it isn't inevitable, just likely. First of all buy a cheap $49 toy such as a Syma X5 or the likes and practice. Second, take your Mavic out to a large field on a windless day and practice keeping it oriented "nose out" in other words facing away from you for many flights until you get more comfortable and confident. The reason, your stick inputs will be reflected exactly by the aircraft. Then, start making some turns. It'll come to you eventually. Just remember, flight is very unforgiving and things go wrong FAST. Not trying to be over dramatic but, take nothing for granted, check and recheck settings. Remember, the Mavic is an aircraft, not a toy. If you approach it as such you'll do much better over time. If you are like most of us you will find it one of the most exiting, and challenging, yet rewarding, past times you have ever pursued. Good luck, and enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeye
Thanks Robert. I actually bought a $100 drone about 10 months ago. I flew it about 5 times. It was a UDI 818A. The thing just never seemed to respond very well. Very light, and any breeze blew it away. It definately didn't hover at all. Lol I've always learned you get what you pay for. Thanks for the advice!

That's awesome to hear. You will find the Mavic to be similar only in a basic control sense, but much more refined/responsive/capable... offset by the additional nervous factor, caused by the price tag of a mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsshog40
Haven't flown a drone yet, but have flown R/C in the past...my only tip is reduce the sensitivity of the controls, and use slow, deliberate stick inputs. One of the aspects of drone flying, is the A/C will hover if you release the sticks. As a seasoned R/Cr once told me: "Takeoffs are optional...but landings are mandatory."

bsshog40, check out MavicHelp.com. I keep and archive of the best Mavic tips there.

bsshog40.. I'm in the same boat, a tad older but went through the process.. I did get the Mavic about a week & 1/2 ago.. It was raining, so it took me a week to actually fly it,, which was ok as I used the time to get my set-up right. So I've now taken it out about 3x's & each time the nerves get a tad better.. I keep it in beginner mode and just try to fly circles & then figure 8's.. Just going slow and I can't imagine right now flying it beyond my line of sight. I did use a small practice drone to get used to the sticks, but honestly they just crap out after 5min so it didn't really help that much for me.. The really cool thing is when you let go of the sticks, it just hovers is place, like a rock.. very stable..

Thanks Zimode! Thats exactly what I plan on doing. Getting firmware updated and all calibrations done first. Flights will be slow and near to get used to controls and camera operations. I cant afford to place or repair, so slow and steady will be my ops for a while. Lol

I'm soon to be 57. I don't have a Mavic yet, I hope to get one next spring when the weather warms. Bought a Phantom Vision 2 almost 3 years ago. I was amazed at how easy it was to fly - I was somewhat cautious and conservative but I don't think I ever crashed it. Just let go of the sticks and it hovers there until you recompose yourself and figure out what to do. If you're reasonably careful you should be able to do a lot of flying and very little crashing.

Another option while waiting for your Mavic is to find a decent simulator to help you get a grasp of orientation. Although not perfect it can help a bit...it did for me anyway. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MavicPilots mobile app

I've been flying drones for three years, and recently got my part 107 certification, and yes I've had my share of mishaps. That said, it isn't inevitable, just likely. First of all buy a cheap $49 toy such as a Syma X5 or the likes and practice. Second, take your Mavic out to a large field on a windless day and practice keeping it oriented "nose out" in other words facing away from you for many flights until you get more comfortable and confident. The reason, your stick inputs will be reflected exactly by the aircraft. Then, start making some turns. It'll come to you eventually. Just remember, flight is very unforgiving and things go wrong FAST. Not trying to be over dramatic but, take nothing for granted, check and recheck settings. Remember, the Mavic is an aircraft, not a toy. If you approach it as such you'll do much better over time. If you are like most of us you will find it one of the most exiting, and challenging, yet rewarding, past times you have ever pursued. Good luck, and enjoy!
Exactly what I did...I purchased a Hubsan X4 107C for around $40 on Amazon and have been flying this every chance I get indoors. I have crashed it more times than I care to admit but it is so small and light that it doesn't do any real damage. I am getting pretty good at it and can now get thru 5 or 6 batteries without crashing it. The moral of this is if you can fly a drone that does not have any flight aid systems like the Mavic (especially auto hover), you will most certainly be able to fly the Mavic when you get it. It will also instill a natural reaction response (muscle memory) on what to do in the event you loose the automated flight control systems and actually have to fly the Mavic. It may ultimately be the difference between whether or not you crash the Mavic it the situation arises.

I appreciate all helpful tips so far. As I said above, I did have a few flights with a UDI. It was fun in one way, yet aggravating in another as it was very hard to control. A couple times it seemed I was getting the hang of it and got a couple of meager videos, but the first little breeze and I was chasing it down. Lol I feel the Mavic will have enough safeguard technology, that as long as I take my time with it, I will eventually get comfortable with it. I'm not wanting to be a Sport flyer and the drone will probably never see that mode. My main intentions are just to take scenery videos just for mine and my wifes enjoyment.

I'm 55 and also bought a 50 dollar drone from amazon and a extra 5 pack of battery's for 21 dollars.
The shop I work in is approx 340,000 sq feet. I learned the basics in the open truck loading area, it's also inside. I Hit a lot of posts and a few lights but learned a lot, laughed a lot and still fly it for fun. Cost of the mavic makes me nervous but after you learn the sticks on cheap drone mavic is a breeze. The hover and gps is way cool after learning to fly without either on the cheap drone. Think I'd try to find a school gym I could get access to if it wasn't for the large shop/manufacturing plant I work at.
The 60 page Manuel was a lot to take in.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

When I first started in RC, I went ahead and bought a good simulator. My first was RealFlight G2, then made the switch to Phoenix-RC. I really like Phoenix because I've had it since 2004 and have never paid for an upgrade/model release, and they are on V5.5. I spent about 4 months on the sim before I bought my first RC Helicopter and after assembling it (Raptor50v2) I was able to hover the entire .50 size helicopter for an entire tank. Of course there are no built in stabilizers with helis, but I credit the success to the sim. With a sim you also get a chance to fly everything from quads to planes and each crash only costs pressing the reset button. :)

Where are simulators for these? I don't game, so no ps4 or xbox here. Lol

I would just say slow is better here. You see all of these videos of people showing how fast it is to take the Mavic out and fly right away. Remember your pre flight check list even if it is just in your head. Don't rush anything and you will have a much more enjoyable time.

I showed my wife the first video I shot.. she kind-of chuckled.. "that is slow". I need to start trusting a tad more also figure out which way it's pointed when it's a couple of hundred of feet away.. I start to panic a tad not trusting as of yet..

Where are simulators for these? I don't game, so no ps4 or xbox here. Lol
Most of them are computer based, RealFlight includes a hardwired controller, and Phoenix-Sim includes a Spektrum DX5 (which can also be used for 5 Ch aircraft).

There are a several sims you can get from your phone's App store that could also help with orientation. Just search drone simulator and just try out the free ones.

Well my mavic finally showed today. Got the battery and controller on charge. After all is charged, I plan on doing firmware updates and then I guess check all my controller settings. We have rain coming the next few days, so won't be able to take it for a maiden flight til then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu