DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tips for flying a drone (Mavic Pro...) at ski

Reactions
Hi all, I am taking for the first time my drone at ski and I look for tips to take good shots and video there... What parameters , what app, what flight modes......

I would stick to AUTO for the camera, it does a great job. Also I wouldn't worry about flight modes, just take her up and fly around and try to rotate smoothly and slowly. You can roll the left wheel to angle the camera somewhat downward to get all the boring sky out of the frame.

1. Battery life is reduced in cold weather.
2. Warm up motors with hoovering.
3. High altitudes have thinner air, harder to climb and accelerate, plan accordingly for return home, and aircraft avoidance. Also makes more rpms needed to maintain altitude, draining battery.
4. 400ft recommendation of faa is DTG, distance to ground. If you launch from a peak and fly over a valley, you should try to stay within 400ft of ground, if you want to fly safe like me, lol.
5. RTH point sets the altitude from that point as zero. Drone landing at negative altitude readings is sketchy, should do it manually, or land at original takeoff altitude.
6. Condensation on hot motors in freezing weather can hit dew point. Motors can freeze with ice after a flight, be careful on 2nd battery and warm up motors with hoover after landing.
7. Wind / upward drafts on mountains can making coming down take longer. Wind gusts unpredictable in mountains too. Try to fly in favorable wind conditions.

That's about all I can recall.

Be sure to ask permission from the Ski Area as many are starting to get very strict on UAS Operations from their property.

Keep an eye on the exposure meter as there will be a LOT of light and you may need to tweak some camera settings. Also a good filter might be handy if you're doing VIDEO.

Fly smart and SAFE! Don't be "that guy" and make the rest of us look bad for doing something dumb.. PLEASE :)

Any recommendations on flight modes ? Active track or Follow ? Also, how to deal with altitude and elevation changes in Such modes ?

Any recommendations on flight modes ? Active track or Follow ? Also, how to deal with altitude and elevation changes in Such modes ?
Be very careful using these modes in a ski area. The changing elevation, trees, chair lifts, cables, snow, and freezing temps are a recipe for a crash. There is a terrain follow mode that is supposed to adjust to elevation gains (not reduction) but is not advisable over snow. I would keep it in manual mode and follow Ebonicus' advise. Use the correct ND filter for video, get some great shots, and have fun.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust any of the "Modes". I'd fly the aircraft at all times. There will be a LOT going on and you don't want to trust sensors and such to keep you out of trouble.

Very good points above by Mossiback :)

Reactions: Pathogen
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki