DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tired off .500 so I am back on .400

Oh yes I am very familiar with it. I have analyzed some of those cases. No conclusive evidence yet on what causes it but it is often the after effect of a TBE. Something in the GPS module or the firmware just gets stuck and the health level drops to one. In my case that was not what was happening. I had occasional GPS lock but then the annoying Atti mode voice would chip in every 15 seconds. Under .5 it was the reverse. i had GPS lock most of the time and every couple of minutes it would go to ATTI mode.

Rob

That´s exacty what I said: if the drone shows signs of malfunction, of course it should be taken to DJI. But it´s been like that with DJI drones since the P1: every FW release spawned a wave of complaints about "new glitches". Once or twice it was true, the new FW brought small problems for some machines, but most were already showing unstable behavior beforehand. Good ones flew fine regardless of FW version. If something has changed it´s the performance: a lot better in every way since those early Phantoms!

When the P3 came out and these flying cams became more popular, this got amplified 10 fold and reached paranoia levels on forums.It´s worse now with the Mavic. I´m not saying problems don´t exist. It´s new technology, DJI is only 10 yrs old and overwhelmed with demand. Not the best combination of factors. Of course that doesn´t count for an excuse, much less that we should accept it and bag our dissatisfaction. But kinda explains what we´re dealing with here and the level of expectation that shold be brought to the table.

Anyone expecting 100% reliable performance is better off changing game. This is basically RC hobby in a fancy packaged, Apple-like, consumer friendly style. In other words, according to my experience (been into RC for yrs) this is the most we get in reliability when it comes to flying quads for this price and type. I don´t mean it´s little or unreliable, but 100% is just not realistic at this point.

As for your last sentece... In my opinion you should be using an iOS device indeed. Don´t shoot the messenger - I know this might hurt some sensible Android feelings here - but it´s been already well estabilished that for whatever reason performance is considerably more stable with iDevices. To stay with DJI UAVs, I´ve been using iPads and iPhones across the board since 2013 and had zero issues with Inspires, Phantoms and Mavics. Again, regardless of FW or app used.
This depends on the Android device, I'm using a HTC 10 phone with FW. 500 and Dji Go 4, 4.0.5. And my Mavic fly's flawlessly with no app crashes or any reduction in signal.

I hope I am going to be able to downgrade to .400 when I get the Mavic back from DJI, I had to send it in this week for an annoying gimbal roll / twitch. Most likely I am not getting my original Mavic back but another one ( could be a refurb or new one ) who knows. The new aircraft is going to come back from DJI with .500 loaded.

When I receive a Mavic in the weeks to come I hope I am going to have the ability to downgrade it to .400 fw, I concur with the OP, I do not like the latest update. Luckily I did not update the DJI GO App in my iOS device.

I personally haven't had an issue with .500 yet aside from Litchi issues, but I fly more manually anyways.

Two third party apps have warned users that some modes of flight are problematic with the .500 firmware. This is not paranoia or conspiracy theory, but proven, tested, reproducible issues.

If it happens when a third party app is in use, then it's a third party app problem, or compatibility issue. There are and always have been compatibility issues between these and I'm well aware, won't deny.

I was referring to the DJI ecosystem: AC/RC firmware and also operating app since it's all connected. Every FW update or change sparks a wave of complaints, whether based on real issues (usually minor), conspiracy theories and/or speculation (most of the times).

Then paranoia follows, and as the very definition of paranoia it goes beyond the factual, proven issues. It is a recurrent, spreading thing and also include other "issues" as well, such as cracking shells, sudden dying batteries, crazy IMUs and the like. If you're around long enough you recognize the pattern LOL :D:p

But back on the topic, of course for most ppl if something goes wrong while using Litchi or DD or whatever, it will be always DJI to blame. Now, I admit DJI way of dealing with these things also feed the cycle. But then I'm not sure further or even highly detailed explanations would help alleviate matters much. Besides, it's limited to forums and boards so it's a niche thing, restricted indeed.

Last edited:
Where did you come up with the .500 firmware to downgrade to? All I see on the DJI site is iOS Version 4.0.6. I bought my Mavic because of all the hype about the great 4.3 mile range, and now before I've even flown it, there are complaints of how the range sucks now with signal loss and such.

If I roll back to .400 do I also have to roll back the DJI Go 4 app on my android devices? If so, where can I find the Apk for older versions?

I would also like to know where to find the older go app versions.
I also have never done a firmware downgrade before on the mavic. How is this done and where do you get the old firmware?

Not a .4 vs .5 issue, but I'm on
mavic 1.03.0100
app 4.02
remote 1.03.0100

Bought my Mavic Mid January from Best Buy. Most things seem to work, but I don't use all the features. No problems or complaints (other than no hdmi port) so far (that's a first for me and DJI). Fly over water and sometimes low Last 6 weeks or so, I have obstacle avoidance off. Never auto land or auto take off. Waiting for winter to leave to get more flights in.

Any serious reason to update to 400 from 100 or something inbetween.

Not a .4 vs .5 issue, but I'm on
mavic 1.03.0100
app 4.02
remote 1.03.0100

Bought my Mavic Mid January from Best Buy. Most things seem to work, but I don't use all the features. No problems or complaints (other than no hdmi port) so far (that's a first for me and DJI). Fly over water and sometimes low Last 6 weeks or so, I have obstacle avoidance off. Never auto land or auto take off. Waiting for winter to leave to get more flights in.

Any serious reason to update to 400 from 100 or something inbetween.
Upgrade to .400

Your on the very first firmware which mean there is battery fixes, etc. I would go to .400 via the assistant app.

Upgrade to .400

Your on the very first firmware which mean there is battery fixes, etc. I would go to .400 via the assistant app.

I don't upgrade unless I understand what is changing. I have had no battery problems or any etc problems. I read about others having problems, but there is nothing that I know of that isn't working on mine

I don't upgrade unless I understand what is changing. I have had no battery problems or any etc problems. I read about others having problems, but there is nothing that I know of that isn't working on mine

If your comfortable with it and it's working properly then stay with what you have. Personally I would go to .0400 because of some issues that they say they fixed. I have never had a problem with any versions of the firmware but I do not like some of the changes that happened from .0400 to .0500

Rob

If I roll back to .400 do I also have to roll back the DJI Go 4 app on my android devices? If so, where can I find the Apk for older versions?
i am on FW .200 on the bird and the RC but i got GJIGO4 4.0.5 app verion on my Android S7 phone any issues there or do i have to downgrade the app? i wont upgrade the FW after what i read about .500. i followed the same principle of keeping an old FW on my old Phantom 3 advanced and it paiyed off.

And one other big negative to add about .0500... They removed the ability to cancel an auto-landing using the throttle. (The Sport mode switch is now the only way).

I think I'll be going back to .0400, too.
I reverted to .4 immediately after discovering the abort autolanding issue. I fly over water all the time. I may not have the luxury of being able to flip to sport mode. Horrible choice by DJI to remove the abort option.

Reactions: WIMMPYIII
I reverted to .4 immediately after discovering the abort autolanding issue. I fly over water all the time. I may not have the luxury of being able to flip to sport mode. Horrible choice by DJI to remove the abort option.

The idea that this was done intentionally is mind boggling to me.

So, this is a nice thread full of information.
I've experienced zero issues with my .500 FW, but i'm considering downgrading to .400 because I would like to use Litchi, especially for FVP flying.

My question (as I'm still confused reading this whole thread):
Can I safely downgrade my Mavic and controller, but LEAVE the app for iOS at its latest version of 4.0.6.
Is this possible? is it safe? I expect the is only considering upgrading to the latest version and nothing more or will there by any inconsistencies?

Thanks!

I
So, this is a nice thread full of information.
I've experienced zero issues with my .500 FW, but i'm considering downgrading to .400 because I would like to use Litchi, especially for FVP flying.

My question (as I'm still confused reading this whole thread):
Can I safely downgrade my Mavic and controller, but LEAVE the app for iOS at its latest version of 4.0.6.
Is this possible? is it safe? I expect the is only considering upgrading to the latest version and nothing more or will there by any inconsistencies?

Thanks!

It should be safe, I used 4.0.5 with .400 and had no problems.
I still would take a very conservative first flight and try out everything before trying a long range flight.

Rob

Reactions: Edjes
Had a great day flying today:)
Did three flights, the longest was 16,768 feet total distance. Almost all of it was over water as I flew out to three small islands. Furthest distance out was about 8000ft and about 90ft up. Any higher than 90ft and the wind was so high that the the alarm kept going off. I can confirm that .400 for me is a definite improvement with signal and breakup problems.

Even when I took my first flight down my typical route along the coast and past numerous tall hotels, I had no problems even at the 3000 ft mark where the breakups and sudden RTH occurred two weeks ago. This time I had 4 bars with no breakups and I kept flying another thousand feet without any problems. Altitude was roughly the same at approx 120ft.

I had no prompts for NFZ data being low and everything was back to normal. Even the nice little startup echo:cool:

This may not be the best setup for everyone but it's working for me and unless DJI comes out with some mind blowing feature I am staying on .400

BTW I have now ditched D-Log. The current LUT that is available is not working for me. I am getting much better results using ART and 4K@30fps with ND16 filter. I find I can manually grade the footage better.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: jcpkkmw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev