DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too much 4k footage, no computer to edit it all tho...

m4v1c

Reactions
So I've had the Mavic since January now and want to edit 4k footage; my laptop alone cannot utilize Adobe Premiere to edit 4k. I want to edit Mavic+GoPro footage to make nature/landscape videos just as a hobby. FYI I'm a totally noob when it comes to computers...

That being said, where do I start when it comes buying/building a PC for 4k editing? I've watched/read a lot of articles & vids on which specs to use to edit 4k; however, not only is it confusing, most reviewers seem to be catering to more professional work. I definietly DO NOT need top tier specs, my price range a max of $1700 for desktop+monitor

Thanks!

For the hobbyist I'm beginning to think an iPad might be a better choice.

I've used the Quik app from GoPro a few times in the last couple of days and it is really impressive.

Of course, it's not the same as Premiere Pro or FCPX but for ease of use, quick and simple edits it is a brilliant alternative.

This has so many benefits that I'm wondering if the 85% this gives me makes me think the extra 5,10 or 15% a professional type PC/Mac edit gives is worth the time and effort.

I'm sure I'll still do those from time to time but these apps are providing a huge amount of functionality for mobile devices.

My example from today. It's a mixture of iPhone 6S Plus and Mavic Pro footage (only the cached 720p). For the speed and simplicity I'm a big fan.

I could make it better for sure in Premiere or FCPX but is it worth it?

I feel the amount if editing required in that direction is somewhat off putting.

Reactions: Clinton1
You don't want to do any editing on an iPad, much less 4K. Very, very, very slow.

Pretty much any modern PC can handle 4K. A decent monitor and an SSD will help more than anything. If you are using Premiere Pro and you have problems with a 4K workflow, you can use proxy files (lots of tutorials) to edit your clip and then you just render in 4K. That can be a lengthy process on a slow PC but you can just let it run overnight if needed.

It's 2017 - 4K isn't such a big deal unless you are doing heavy post processing (like most pros do hence the reviews and interest on heavier gauge hardware).

Unless I'm doing something for someone who ask for 4K I always film in 1080.90% of people will not notice or appreciate the effort in editing and downloading of 4k, maybe if I didn't have so many hobbies (boats,motorcycles build and ride,and KIDS with their own activities!) I probably wouldn't mind spending hours on 10 min of video

So I've had the Mavic since January now and want to edit 4k footage; my laptop alone cannot utilize Adobe Premiere to edit 4k. I want to edit Mavic+GoPro footage to make nature/landscape videos just as a hobby. FYI I'm a totally noob when it comes to computers...

That being said, where do I start when it comes buying/building a PC for 4k editing? I've watched/read a lot of articles & vids on which specs to use to edit 4k; however, not only is it confusing, most reviewers seem to be catering to more professional work. I definietly DO NOT need top tier specs, my price range a max of $1700 for desktop+monitor

Thanks!
Noobs shouldn't build their own PCs. It usually ends in a disaster. If you are thinking of a good powerful computer to start with, Alienware sells powerful computers. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about their products. I suggest Alienware because they are geared around gaming meaning the have great GPU performance, something good video editing software makes use of.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78