DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Too soon to purchase yet?

Ruffy

Reactions
Quick question- I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy my first drone, but I'm seeing lots of discussion related to the camera and firmware. Would I be more wise to wait a month or so and let DJI sort through typical new product glitches? Are Mavics being improved by DJI as they learn about these issues?

Thanks for sharing!

Quite a few of the issues are eventually boiled down to operator error, it seems.
Poor choices and misunderstandings do happen. My take on it so far, being a new flyer myself, my hope is to decrease my chances of failure by reading as much as I can in here and applying it to my flights.

I would decide on intended usage and location. If you are living at a cold region and don't expect many opportunities during next weeks for flying, then you might wait for a while.
But it is similar to smartphones, if you will buy them shortly after introduction they have (mainly software) bugs, after some months these bugs are (hopefully) fixed but all nerds are already awaiting the introduction of the sucessor model...

Buy one now, it will blow you away!

Had mine 3 days. Not interested in next gen as there's very little that can be improved. Unless the next one is weaponised, has a stealth body and jet propulsion. I'm pretty safe that it ain't going too.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: deltalimatango
Quick question- I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy my first drone, but I'm seeing lots of discussion related to the camera and firmware. Would I be more wise to wait a month or so and let DJI sort through typical new product glitches? Are Mavics being improved by DJI as they learn about these issues?

Thanks for sharing!

The forum is skewed by new flyers seeking assistance. The majority of people must not be having any problems or you'd be seeing a lot more posts about crashes, fly-aways, etc.

I was thinking the same thing, when I ordered mine in Nov. And I did receive one with the Camera/ Gimbal D.O.A. :-( Frustrating ? Yea...a Little, but It is New technology and sometimes being the first on your block to get one has it's surprise's. Must be nice to receive a good one, and Most do. But, DJI has been Very Good about it. They Stand behind their products as far as I can see. Asked me to send it right in and I did. That to me is as important as the money i'm spending and the item i'm buying.

The forum is skewed by new flyers seeking assistance. The majority of people must not be having any problems or you'd be seeing a lot more posts about crashes, fly-aways, etc.
What I've noticed is that the "new flyers" join this forum after they've already had some sort of issue with the Mavic. I for 1 always join forums ahead of making a purchase in order to learn all the "ins & outs" of the particular item or project.

That's exactly what I'm doing: watching, reading and learning before my Mavic unit even arrives.

I ordered my Mavic Pro on 1/5/17 and have been watching this forum since then to be as educated about the aircraft as I can be beforehand while I wait for it to be delivered. Been watching every video I can digest, too. I don't want any surprises in the sky that nature, circumstances, and my flight abilities will not already provide for me to deal with, on a moment-to-moment basis, while in flight.

To me, even though flying the Mavic has been made "easier" due to its incredible modes, abilities and interface, it is STILL an unmanned, potentially very fast and very dangerous vehicle, that must be kept under control at all times.

Like Superman's Marlon Brando father told him years ago, "With great power comes great responsibility." (Or was that Spider-Man's Uncle Ben? Hmmm...) To me, all drones of this caliber are quite powerful and need to be respected and treated accordingly, and that starts with understanding the craft and its systems intimately well in advance of taking it to the air. Power without control is not only bad, it's also dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: xUNx DeathDrone
Ruffy, if you have never tried to fly a drone before i highly suggest you buy small one without a camera for practise indoors. The beauty of this is that the Mavic Pro will be easier to fly with. I practise with a Blade Nano QX and a Hubsan X4 Plus and there are som more suggestions here. Also you can download the Mavic Pro manual here. If you live in USA it is good to learn about the FAA rules and Fly For Fun. The Mavic Pro is fantastic and you will be able to take som pictures/videos from a very different angle, a bird view.

Reactions: Icarus
Would I be more wise to wait a month or so and let DJI sort through typical new product glitches?
Are you referring to specific glitches? It seems to be in a pretty stable state as-is today.

Just buy one. You won't regret it. As long as you read as much and learn as much as you can you will have so much fun. The thing is amazing. It's a life changer, being able to take this with you on vacations and even weekend walks will allow you to see the world as you never have before.

I really appreciate all the responses!

I'm not referring to any specific glitch- just an overall reference to the numerous issues raised on this forum.

Ah, in that case, you're just seeing the usual. People come to forums like this one when they have questions or need help. You're always going to see problems being discussed here. That's one of the great benefits of owning a Mavic too. When you need help, it's easy to find.

Buy it! Fly it! Love it!
Why deprive yourself of one months flight time and the opportunity to take that month and slowly ease into learning about how to fly proficiently? If your concerned about issues. Fly very close to yourself and turn on beginner mode and it will impose a max flight distance and height. This will keep things less volatile.

Its not like you will power the Mavic Pro up and it will fly to Argentina , uh, ehm, uh, unless you are already in Argentina that is.

You will be able to push left stick up to gain a small altitude and then take your hands completely off the sticks and it will sit suspended in 3 D space just hovering in all its glory. That even a great way to get some action shots . Just park it and press the record button with gimbal pointed in the direction of the action.

I look forward to your future posts about how wonderful and experience it is!

Buy it and between purchase and delivery, read the manual.

So many people don't read the manual and it's crucial, especially for new flyers. You can download it from the DJI site

I figure i'll learn the most by being part of the mavic pro 1 test group & i'll buy the Mavic 2 the day it comes out just the same regardless. I rather have one to tinker with while I wait and who knows, maybe i'll be completely satisfied with my mavic 1, wouldn't that be cherry

Here's a pic from a little get together we had today in Philly.
img_1406-jpg.4259

What I've noticed is that the "new flyers" join this forum after they've already had some sort of issue with the Mavic. I for 1 always join forums ahead of making a purchase in order to learn all the "ins & outs" of the particular item or project.

Great post Anthony. I sometimes do the same. However, I am a big fan of digging for information before inundating a group or forum with questions where I could as easily find the answers by doing a bit of leg work. I find, that many people are simply lazy and have a sense of entitlement, can't be bothered to read the manual, or to do some simple research. Not to say that there aren't serious questions that experience users can't solve with inquiry, many people just jump into groups and post the same questions time and time again and aren't considerate of the other members or can't be bothered to be a bit more self-reliant.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan