DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tracking an object while still free flying

Jetspeed35

Reactions
Hi guys-

Mavic Pro 1 user here... When I flying, I'm usually trying to capture a single moving subject. I find that the normal motion tracking reacts too slowly to movements and I don't completely trust object avoidance... Is there any kind of mode that wold keep the camera pointed and focused at a subject while I am free to fly the drone around as I wish? I attached a video that I just made of my daughter and our dogs... Would have been perfect for that. I would always have a few seconds of great video then a jerk when I had to move the camera to keep her in frame. Going out next weekend to shoot a buddy and his boat. Any ideas? Just get better as subject tracking? ?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Greg

No there’s not,other than just stick practice. Adjust your expo’s to where your comfortable.Practice,practice then practice. Did I say practice.?

Reactions: Thomas B
And while you are practicing, watch that you do not get tunnel-vision on watching only the screen. I noticed in a few shots that your MP was below tree level. It is very common to side-slip into a tree while concentrating on the screen.

I believe Spotlight mode allows you to hit the sticks while the drone stays on the subject. I don't have that mode on mine so can't comment on how well it works.

Me, I'm practising orbiting stationary subjects every flight using dual stick inputs; either both sticks out (CW), or both sticks in (CCW). Moving subjects are harder to orbit but it's all about developing feel for the sticks and making the necessary micro adjustments subconsciously, like riding a bike. See item #5 on this Dji page: Top 10 Drone Flight Maneuvers for Aerial Photography - DJI Guides and this one: Film Like a Pro: How to Create Cinematic Orbit Shots - DJI Guides

Last edited:
The M1P has some helpful intelligent flight modes, try some of them and see what you like.
After a bit of practice I bet you can easily use one or two of those to help with shooting videos like this.

Active track can marginally do what you want, just keep it slow, and the tracked person as contrasting to the background as possible.
What your daughter was wearing against the green as really good for active track.
Set to allow backwards flying, you can gently maneuver around the subject keeping them in frame.

I find tracking vehicles is fairly reliable at around 20 - 25 km/h (about 15mph).
People wearing the right colours should be a lot easier.
You can then concentrate on watching terrain heights, and adjusting there, let the drone do the following.

Another is course lock is brilliant to follow a line from A to B, allows you to hold the stick gently going along that line, you can yaw to keep subject in frame.
Home lock is similar, moves towards home, and you can yaw to 'crab' back, simple yaw to keep the camera pointed at a features / person.

Adjust your yaw and gimbal speed back a bit in settings, this helps smooth out stick movements, but basically it's just practice getting them nice and gentle.

Edit out the tiny glitches with a transition like dissolve for 0.5 seconds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nkbran white