DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transporting lithium batteries in warm temperatures

Aero1

Reactions
Evening Gentleman, I have tried to research this topic with no luck. I live in Arizona, and yes it does get extremely warm, my question is; I like to travel around on my Honda Goldwing with my drone and when I leave in the early morning it can be 80 degrees already. Yet, when I come home at noon it can be close to 100 degrees. What is the best way to transport not only the drone batteries, but also the controller as it has a lithium battery in it also?

Yes, I will take the blame for smoking a couple batteries the other day hauling them in the trunk on the Goldwing. Do any of you folks put the batteries and controller in a small cooler with an ice pack?

Also before I have to start another thread. Flying when it is in the upper 90's the motors can bcome quite warm. What is the general practice or concern when the motors start getting hot, they aren't glowing red, but your finger can feel the consequences after a few seconds holding onto the motor.

Thanks everyone for the input and help and yes I still consider myself a Newbie.

As for the batteries, 100 degrees isn’t much. Consider that body temp is almost that. I suspect that the compartment gets much hotter than that when sitting in direct sunlight. Anything you could do to keep them cooler would make sense. Maybe a plastic bag with ice packs or something similar.

Motors getting hot are normal and unavoidable. I’d only he concerned if one motor was getting considerably hotter than the rest.

Thanks Robert,

I should have known better in the hot weather we are having that something would have witht the batteries. I know have a little igloo cooler that I will put an ice pack in and keep it covered with a plastic bag so no moisture gets to the batteries. thanks for the help.

Aero1

I wrapped my batteries in a towel and put the reusable freeze packs in two zip lock bags in a small soft cooler . All day in the cooler on the floor of my maverick sxs . Any time I took a battery out they were cool to touch . The floor gets hot but the cooler works great

Evening Gentleman, I have tried to research this topic with no luck. I live in Arizona, and yes it does get extremely warm, my question is; I like to travel around on my Honda Goldwing with my drone and when I leave in the early morning it can be 80 degrees already. Yet, when I come home at noon it can be close to 100 degrees. What is the best way to transport not only the drone batteries, but also the controller as it has a lithium battery in it also?

Yes, I will take the blame for smoking a couple batteries the other day hauling them in the trunk on the Goldwing. Do any of you folks put the batteries and controller in a small cooler with an ice pack?

Also before I have to start another thread. Flying when it is in the upper 90's the motors can bcome quite warm. What is the general practice or concern when the motors start getting hot, they aren't glowing red, but your finger can feel the consequences after a few seconds holding onto the motor.

Thanks everyone for the input and help and yes I still consider myself a Newbie.

I am in Arizona and I have found out the hard way that during the summer I have to fly late afternoon or early morning. I have had new batteries puff up because they got too hot.

Have my small soft side cooler all set-up. Do you folks even put your controller in there as it has a lithium battery in it too?

Don’t forget, your cell phone can shut down, mid flight if it gets too hot.

At that point you had better be LOS, or pray your RTH is set properly.

Have had that happen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenbookwriting