DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travel restrictions - do not take your drone to Turkey

Well that's good news. I only had an hour or two of research left before I had to make a final decision before my flight the following day. I called Easyjet helpline and they said not I could not take any batteries (not true either), plus on the Phantom forum one man had his drone confiscated at Dalaman airport (Turkey) when searched on exiting the airport. So with this info I didn't risk it. Was very disappointed and my gopro gimbal broke in transit and I couldn't use that either...gutted!

Last edited:
Whew!

I was just reading this with a growing sense of anxiety. I'm traveling to Greece via Istanbul next month with a shipload of camera gear including a Mavic and 3 batteries. I'll discharge them for general safety prior to departing Sydney and take them in my camera backpack.

Really appreciate your post!

A couple of additional points that may help -

1. When asked about the batteries, I simply stated they were for a camera - "OK, they are fine." was the response every time.
2. I took the props off the Mavic and packed them separately in my hold baggage. That way, if really scrutinised, you can demonstrate the Mavic as a stabilised handheld camera. I didn't need to do this but it may overcome a really picky security person.
3. Finally, check with your airline just in case they have additional checks. I did this with Thomas Cook as the info on their website was contradictory to the FCO, Government rules. When I called them, they were still unsure, so I visited the Customer service desk at the airport. They took one of the batteries in to their office and came back saying it was OK, and if I had any issues getting through security, they would come and assist as they are within the guideline limits.

Cheers

Reactions: frequentflyer
Hmm. This sounds a bit risky.

I'm tranferring in Istanbul onto a Turkish Airlines flight to Athens and they appear to have a strict no lithium battery policy as per their website.

Pretty weird.

Singapore Airlines will allow them as UNchecked. Turkish airlines allows them ONLY as checked.

I'm in transit to Athens from Sydney between these two, so the batteries will be on my person when I arrive in transit in Istanbul. My baggage will be wherever it is.

So I can't board the plane with them...apparently.

This has nothing to do with Turkey. I travelled in and out of Turkey numerous times. Took domestic flights as well.

However you do have take the recent Trump regulations (UK followed but nobody else did) serious. You are not allowed anything electronic but a telephone along with you in the cabin luggage if your destination is the US or the U.K. You are not allowed your iPad, laptop, dslr camera or mavic with you in the cabin. There is no restriction for the flight back.

Naturally, no restrictions whatsoever if you are flying to non-US/UK destinations.

Turkish domestic drone flight regulation is very much in line with that of EU.

OneOak made it very clear. Sorry for repeating...

I missed his post, reading on phone.

This has nothing to do with Turkey. I travelled in and out of Turkey numerous times. Took domestic flights as well.

However you do have take the recent Trump regulations (UK followed but nobody else did) serious. You are not allowed anything electronic but a telephone along with you in the cabin luggage if your destination is the US or the U.K. You are not allowed your iPad, laptop, dslr camera or mavic with you in the cabin. There is no restriction for the flight back.

Naturally, no restrictions whatsoever if you are flying to non-US/UK destinations.

Turkish domestic drone flight regulation is very much in line with that of EU.

Worthy of note.

I'll be merely in transit in Istanbul but I will be subject to Turkish Airlines policy onto Athens which is no lithium batteries whatsoever. This would equate to no mobile phones, laptops, personal devices, etc - which is clearly a nonsense.

I'm going to run with Singapore Airlines policy and place my batteries (discharged) in checked baggage and my drone and controller in hand luggage. Hopefully the checked luggage will pass through Istanbul and onto T.A to Athens without being subject to these draconian policies. If not I'll be desperately searching for Mavic batteries in Athens - anyone have insider knowledge here?

As an Australian I only get to Europe on rare occasions and the inclusion of the little wonder is very important to me.

I flew with Turkish yesterday. My mavic was with me in the combo bag as cabin luggage. No prob.

Reactions: jamesw
Two destinations I flew to and back most recently are Seychelles and Italy. And numerous domestic flights in Turkey.

I am based in Istanbul.

Reactions: D700
Two destinations I flew to and back most recently are Seychelles and Italy. And numerous domestic flights in Turkey.

I am based in Istanbul.
Excellent.

Sounds like the risk may be worth it.

Hmm. This sounds a bit risky.

I'm tranferring in Istanbul onto a Turkish Airlines flight to Athens and they appear to have a strict no lithium battery policy as per their website.

Where does it say that Lithium batteries are not allowed? I've checked the Turkish Airlines website and I also asked at the Turkish Airlines desk in Manchester UK and they said they were OK.

Man I bought my Mavic specifically with international travel in mind :mad::eek::oops::(

Can you make sure to post an update with how you go. I'm flying Sydney to Italy via Istanbul in June, also using Turkish.
Well, I'm traveling to Athens via Istanbul in June, so I won't be able to advise you before you leave.

Looks like we're in the same boat, as it were.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun