DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Travelling from one country to the next

redserv

Reactions
Hello guys. I will be moving to the u.s pretty soon from the Caribbean islands permanently. My question is when I arrive to the u.s. and before my first flight with my Mavic 3 should I do a compass and IMU calibration? Or should calibrate only if the drone says I should? Thanks in advance.

If the Fly app asks for it, then yes.
Otherwise you should be good to go.

As an extra precaution, just ensure your pre flight checks include making sure the drone is aligned as shown on the map, when GPS connects and the lady says "Home point recorded, please check it on the map".
This should be part of everyone's pre flight checks anyway, but for your move just a little extra important to ensure all is fine with compass and alignment.

Reactions: redserv
I will be moving to the u.s pretty soon from the Caribbean islands permanently. My question is when I arrive to the u.s. and before my first flight with my Mavic 3

If you haven't done it yet, you'll need to register the aircraft with the FAA and take the TRUST test before flying.

The TRUST test is free no fail test that's easy to take and you should keep a copy with you when you fly.

Welcome to the USA when you get here. 🇺🇸

Thank you. Completed the trust and registered my drone. Ordered some registration stickers and waiting on them.

Reactions: MA2 317
Hello guys. I will be moving to the u.s pretty soon from the Caribbean islands permanently. My question is when I arrive to the u.s. and before my first flight with my Mavic 3 should I do a compass and IMU calibration?
No .. there's no need to.
Compass calibration is 100% unrelated to where your drone is or was previously.
Or should calibrate only if the drone says I should?
Even if you think your app is asking for compass calibration, it probably is just a false alarm.
When your compass gives that warning, it's telling you that you've placed the drone in a magnetically unsuitable spot.
No amount of compass calibration will fix that.
Powering off and moving away from the problem is the correct action.
DJI's message wording is misleading.

No .. there's no need to.
Compass calibration is 100% unrelated to where your drone is or was previously.

Even if you think your app is asking for compass calibration, it probably is just a false alarm.
When your compass gives that warning, it's telling you that you've placed the drone in a magnetically unsuitable spot.
No amount of compass calibration will fix that.
Powering off and moving away from the problem is the correct action.
DJI's message wording is misleading.
Thank you Meta. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Great advice!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman