DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trimming, cataloging strategy?

Coskier

Reactions
I am finally starting to get more comfortable shooting video, which is leading to new challenges.

For photos, I use Lightroom and its notion of collections. There doesn't seem to be anything similar for video, so I am wondering what people do for the following:

1) How do you name or otherwise catalog your footage so that you can easily find a certain subject or clip in the future?

2) Do you trim your clips to within a few seconds of the useful footage, or split long segments into smaller pieces?

3) If you do trim or split, do you use your video editing software to do this, or something else?

Thank you.

1) I find Date is Critical... as the start to filename

I use YYYY-MMDD (Place) - Description <<< Just Like that

Chronological DATE order is invaluable - especially if you shoot in a number of Places

Once Dated - ... Then go Crazy on further Collections in Say Lightroom

2) I SCRUB through - Looking for Glitches - or Non- interesting Parts - and EXTRACT (Trash) those ... leaving only the Useful Footage. Then I do a Lossless Join of the Original - which I call STITCHING - Leaving Footage that is usable in One Video. THAT becomes my stored footage for further use.
... For Production - I rewatch the Video - and Choose (In the same way) as the Above - the Most exciting Parts... (By trashing the (Boring). Then Add Text... Then Appropriate Music - Sometimes Multiple clips - Changing the Music when ideas change completely.

3) Almost 95% - trimming / cutting happens in my Editor -
I use Video Pad - which is Quick and Easy - yet versatile - and Premiere Pro -

I dump every file in its original form onto a backup external hard drive in the field to make sure I have a hard copy saved from the sd card. Then when I get home I take all the footage from that days flight and put it in a folder on my computer that I will name something that I will remember that flight by (ie: morgan_point_nightflight). This folder then goes into a folder labeled “working projects”. From there I load the files into Davinci Resolve and scrub and cut from there into a finished edit. Any music or sound effects I keep in a separate audio folder that resides in my “drone video” folder.
I haven’t gotten into the dating of files yet because the way the dji drone keeps the files in chronological order. I can easily scroll back through the files and see where I was flying that day.

Thank you both for your thoughts, it's appreciated.

I am finally starting to get more comfortable shooting video, which is leading to new challenges.

For photos, I use Lightroom and its notion of collections. There doesn't seem to be anything similar for video, so I am wondering what people do for the following:

1) How do you name or otherwise catalog your footage so that you can easily find a certain subject or clip in the future?

2) Do you trim your clips to within a few seconds of the useful footage, or split long segments into smaller pieces?

3) If you do trim or split, do you use your video editing software to do this, or something else?

Thank you.
I travel with two portable Seagate 2TB hard drives and double backup (to each drive) after each shooting session with MM/DD/YYYY-AM or PM+Location. On a big ,important trip such as an African safari with morning and afternoon game drives, I have already shot over 1000 images and done several videos. I back that all up after lunch and before the afternoon game drive. I then clear my memory cards an re-use them for the PM drive. So all original footage is saved for later decisions at home on my IMAC. I do all the trimming, splitting, correcting, etc. in post when I finished with the trip. I make my "Assets" folders for "video," "stills," "music tracks," and always save the originals on two (2) large external HDs (Hard drives)- again, double backup. Memory is now cheap.

I travel with two portable Seagate 2TB hard drives and double backup (to each drive) after each shooting session with MM/DD/YYYY-AM or PM+Location. On a big ,important trip such as an African safari with morning and afternoon game drives, I have already shot over 1000 images and done several videos. I back that all up after lunch and before the afternoon game drive. I then clear my memory cards an re-use them for the PM drive. So all original footage is saved for later decisions at home on my IMAC. I do all the trimming, splitting, correcting, etc. in post when I finished with the trip. I make my "Assets" folders for "video," "stills," "music tracks," and always save the originals on two (2) large external HDs (Hard drives)- again, double backup. Memory is now cheap.

I get all that. Was just wondering about my specific questions.

Let's see if the answers in BOLD help (below).

1) How do you name or otherwise catalog your footage so that you can easily find a certain subject or clip in the future? I do not catalogue in Lightroom. I edit stills in Photoshop CC and videos in Premiere Pro and store by date and subject on hard drives

2) Do you trim your clips to within a few seconds of the useful footage, or split long segments into smaller pieces? I drag original clip into editing window, mark I and O points (pinpoint/outpoint). I often use multiple parts of the same clip, each marked In and Out.

3) If you do trim or split, do you use your video editing software to do this, or something else? I use the Premiere Pro software to edit the original clip

Let's see if the answers in BOLD help (below).

1) How do you name or otherwise catalog your footage so that you can easily find a certain subject or clip in the future? I do not catalogue in Lightroom. I edit stills in Photoshop CC and videos in Premiere Pro and store by date and subject on hard drives

2) Do you trim your clips to within a few seconds of the useful footage, or split long segments into smaller pieces? I drag original clip into editing window, mark I and O points (pinpoint/outpoint). I often use multiple parts of the same clip, each marked In and Out.

3) If you do trim or split, do you use your video editing software to do this, or something else? I use the Premiere Pro software to edit the original clip

Thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDS24