DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to fly my drone all day with unlimited battery

Rah

Reactions
Well kinda,
20180414_181127.jpg
As you can see in the picture I have six brand new batteries and a battery pack to charge those batteries so technically I should be able to fly all day.
Well that depends there's some issues that I've come across.
The waye it is supposed to work is that I fly for 20 minutes then when that battery dies I start charging it and start on another battery. 20 minutes later that battery dies and I start on another battery. 20 minutes later that battery dies and I'm on the next, by then it has been an hour and the first battery should be charged technically I should be able to start using that one again.
Well it didn't go that way first I live in northern New Jersey and while technically it is spring here someone forgot to tell New Jersey. So it's a little cold and I'm only getting about 15 to 18 minutes per battery.
The second issue is the batteries come off the Maverick air kind of warm so when I go to charge them there to warm or hot to charge so they have to cool off that takes about 15 minutes. So that eats into my charging time so one battery instead of taking 50 minutes takes an hour and 15 minutes with the cool down.
But as you can see I have 6 batteries so by the time I get to my 5th or 6 battery the first one is finished charging so technically this worked for about 3 hours then after forgetting to charge a battery or not putting it on the charger correctly and with all the other issues that came because of weather etc etc I was only able to fly about 5 hours before I got hungry and went to get something to eat.

Hopefully when it warms up I can keep up the charge times because I'm assuming that with warmer weather the cool-down period for the battery is going to be longer thus taking longer to charge. I will have to see after it warms up I'll give it another go
I'm wondering if anybody else has done anything similar, and can give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated .
the battery I'm using is a 42000mAh battery I got from Amazon obviously if I got a bigger battery I can go more the battery still had juice in it even after five hours

Attachments

• 20180414_181127.jpg
    20180414_181127.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
What about charging your controller?
I can charge the controller of the. Usb on the battery but you can't charge and whew the iPad at the same time. The controller lasted a couple
Of hours before needing to be charged

Reactions: David73
I'd also worry about the mavic itself overheating, if you are flying it hard. those electronics need some time to cool off too. Nice strategy though, definitely get plenty of drone time with that setup!

I think you are turning a hobby into an obsession. ;)
Maybe you need to seek help.
I know in the beginning, you want to fly as much as you can, after your 100th flight, you might grow a bit tired and fly less regularly. But you’ll have all these gear.
I bet you’ll start dreaming as a drone flying around soon.
Moderation is a good thing.

I think you are turning a hobby into an obsession. ;)
Maybe you need to seek help.
I know in the beginning, you want to fly as much as you can, after your 100th flight, you might grow a bit tired and fly less regularly. But you’ll have all these gear.
I bet you’ll start dreaming as a drone flying around soon.
Moderation is a good thing.
Your assume to much..
I get 1 day in 2 weeks to fly. It is not to much to ask that I make that day as efficient as possible

Your assume to much..
I get 1 day in 2 weeks to fly. It is not to much to ask that I make that day as efficient as possible
Your biggest issue will probably be managing the heat build up in the aircraft. The DJI auto battery chargers will only charge when the battery is at the right temperature to take a charge. Make sure your setup does the same to avoid damage to the batteries.

Maybe not the safest method, but I've placed batteries on ice to rapidly cool them so they can be recharged during similiar endurance tests.

One problem with this method is that it is likely that the temperature sensor gets cooled off and allows a charge to take place but the internal temperature of the cells could still be too high.

I'm not recommending this method but it does reduce the amount of time a battery needs to cool off before charging.

Edit to add that I've pre-cooled batteries on ice before starting these tests too. You have to be careful not to drop the temperature too low as mavic does not like cold batteries.

Would 1 of these AC car adapters work with the Mavic Air fly more combo 4 pack battery chargers?

Attachments

• 20180415_063428.png
    20180415_063428.png
    951.5 KB · Views: 87
I don't think stress is a problem, fly boy fly.

Your assume to much..
So you fly 5 hours straight at the same location? o_O
I get bored after 3 batteries if I don't move. 2 hours of flight in a day would be the upper limit of "it's not fun anymore" for me.

Would 1 of these AC car adapters work with the Mavic Air fly more combo 4 pack battery chargers?
This is a "cheap" inverter. I have used them before to charge camera batteries but I really dont like them. They are not sine wave inverters and clip the DC to create AC. The car charger directly off 12v is a much better option IMHO.

I don’t think the human mind can sustain enjoying doing something for the whole day, and repeating that multiple times. I’d be curious if you are still keen on flying for a whole day after 2 or 3 months.
You’d be too focused on trying to fly the whole day, making sure your batteries are charging, etc, that you forget the actual joy of flying.
It’s like enjoying 3 scoops of your favourite ice cream, and looking forward to your next. Instead of gorging yourself with a whole tub in one sitting, and doing that often till you get sick of it.
Well, that’s just my opinion. When I started, I wanted to fly as much as I can. Now I am content to fly once or twice a week. Just cruising in the air, finding new spots and sceneries to fly in.

To each his own, the was how can he do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne