DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to fly my drone all day with unlimited battery

Do a search here, one time a guy with his buddy's wanted to catch his girlfriend cheating on him, so they wanted to keep a bird in the air at all times. They got lots of advice, almost like counseling, but got some good answers for all day flight.

Do a search here, one time a guy with his buddy's wanted to catch his girlfriend cheating on him, so they wanted to keep a bird in the air at all times. They got lots of advice, almost like counseling, but got some good answers for all day flight.
Now this is interesting.

You could also
Consider a tether like you can get for matrice.

It's an electrical cable that runs from a power source on the ground to the drone, allowing for continuous flight.

Mavic is not known as a heavy lifter, so it would require just the right conductor to be light and long enough while still able to carry the required current.

Used to do this with my phantom 4 with 4 batteries ...the controller lasts much longer and also charges the iPad.
I can do this with 2 batteries on my parrot disco...each battery lasts 80mins lol

Well kinda,
View attachment 35807
As you can see in the picture I have six brand new batteries and a battery pack to charge those batteries so technically I should be able to fly all day.
Well that depends there's some issues that I've come across.
The waye it is supposed to work is that I fly for 20 minutes then when that battery dies I start charging it and start on another battery. 20 minutes later that battery dies and I start on another battery. 20 minutes later that battery dies and I'm on the next, by then it has been an hour and the first battery should be charged technically I should be able to start using that one again.
Well it didn't go that way first I live in northern New Jersey and while technically it is spring here someone forgot to tell New Jersey. So it's a little cold and I'm only getting about 15 to 18 minutes per battery.
The second issue is the batteries come off the Maverick air kind of warm so when I go to charge them there to warm or hot to charge so they have to cool off that takes about 15 minutes. So that eats into my charging time so one battery instead of taking 50 minutes takes an hour and 15 minutes with the cool down.
But as you can see I have 6 batteries so by the time I get to my 5th or 6 battery the first one is finished charging so technically this worked for about 3 hours then after forgetting to charge a battery or not putting it on the charger correctly and with all the other issues that came because of weather etc etc I was only able to fly about 5 hours before I got hungry and went to get something to eat.

Hopefully when it warms up I can keep up the charge times because I'm assuming that with warmer weather the cool-down period for the battery is going to be longer thus taking longer to charge. I will have to see after it warms up I'll give it another go
I'm wondering if anybody else has done anything similar, and can give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated .
the battery I'm using is a 42000mAh battery I got from Amazon obviously if I got a bigger battery I can go more the battery still had juice in it even after five hours
You mite want to look into getting a Energen 360 Charger you can be charging 4 battery's, Phone, iPad, Controller, and still have 2 120v outlets not being used. It will be out in may made by Energen they also make a charger just for the Mavic Pro and one for the Phantom 3&4 and a model that will do both the Mavic and Phantom, mavic air, spark, typhoon. The price is high but it save's you the price of extra battery's and you can do so much more with them.

I don’t think the human mind can sustain enjoying doing something for the whole day, and repeating that multiple times. I’d be curious if you are still keen on flying for a whole day after 2 or 3 months.
You’d be too focused on trying to fly the whole day, making sure your batteries are charging, etc, that you forget the actual joy of flying.
It’s like enjoying 3 scoops of your favourite ice cream, and looking forward to your next. Instead of gorging yourself with a whole tub in one sitting, and doing that often till you get sick of it.
Well, that’s just my opinion. When I started, I wanted to fly as much as I can. Now I am content to fly once or twice a week. Just cruising in the air, finding new spots and sceneries to fly in.

I agree
But I get 1 day in 2 weeks to fly , I can not improve my flying skills flying for 3 hours in 2 weeks

I don’t think the human mind can sustain enjoying doing something for the whole day, and repeating that multiple times. I’d be curious if you are still keen on flying for a whole day after 2 or 3 months.
You’d be too focused on trying to fly the whole day, making sure your batteries are charging, etc, that you forget the actual joy of flying.
It’s like enjoying 3 scoops of your favourite ice cream, and looking forward to your next. Instead of gorging yourself with a whole tub in one sitting, and doing that often till you get sick of it.
Well, that’s just my opinion. When I started, I wanted to fly as much as I can. Now I am content to fly once or twice a week. Just cruising in the air, finding new spots and sceneries to fly in.
I agree with this point of view, I understand the battery charge /discharge queries but my query is what is it you are doing whilst flying for so long?

@Rah we want to see some pics/video now! :) I only have 2 batteries (plan on buying one a month until I catch up with you). Now we want to see some pics, other than your batteries!

I think you are turning a hobby into an obsession. ;)
Maybe you need to seek help.
I know in the beginning, you want to fly as much as you can, after your 100th flight, you might grow a bit tired and fly less regularly. But you’ll have all these gear.
I bet you’ll start dreaming as a drone flying around soon.
Moderation is a good thing.
You can't tell us that all of us didn't dream of doing this at some point and time. LOL

Reactions: Bdubbs
I fly daily, sometimes twice, morning and evening, and that is plenty for me, unless I travel somewhere and then I take the Spark for a quick fly-up and photo. The other half of my "pleasure" is looking at the photos on my laptop and sharing them. I don't think I could fly hours at a time without moving to another location. Even then, I'd be concerned about flying over private property. I'm in a rural area, too. However, I'd never fly over anyone's home.

I agree with this point of view, I understand the battery charge /discharge queries but my query is what is it you are doing whilst flying for so long?

He has clearly said he gets to fly one day every few weeks or so. He didn’t ask for any advice other than battery sequencing to accomplish his desired fly time.

My two cents is I’d buy a few more batteries and enjoy the hell out of your day ! PS - If your old enough to have a beer or two pack the cooler while your at it.

Reactions: TBird
Well kinda,
View attachment 35807
The second issue is the batteries come off the Maverick air kind of warm so when I go to charge them there to warm or hot to charge so they have to cool off that takes about 15 minutes. So that eats into my charging time so one battery instead of taking 50 minutes takes an hour and 15 minutes with the cool down.

I've had this problem several times, either in tropical locations, or or really hot film sets. Setting them near an air conditioner helps. Setting myself near an air conditioner helped as well.

Well kinda,
View attachment 35807
As you can see in the picture I have six brand new batteries and a battery pack to charge those batteries so technically I should be able to fly all day.
The waye it is supposed to work is that I fly for 20 minutes then when that battery dies I start charging it and start on another battery. 20 minutes later that battery dies and I start on another battery. 20 minutes later that battery dies and I'm on the next, by then it has been an hour and the first battery should be charged technically I should be able to start using that one again.
Well it didn't go that way first I live in northern New Jersey and while technically it is spring here someone forgot to tell New Jersey. So it's a little cold and I'm only getting about 15 to 18 minutes per battery.
But as you can see I have 6 batteries so by the time I get to my 5th or 6 battery the first one is finished charging so technically this worked for about 3 hours then after forgetting to charge a battery or not putting it on the charger correctly and with all the other issues that came because of weather etc etc I was only able to fly about 5 hours before I got hungry and went to get something to eat.

Hopefully when it warms up I can keep up the charge times because I'm assuming that with warmer weather the cool-down period for the battery is going to be longer thus taking longer to charge. I will have to see after it warms up I'll give it another go
I'm wondering if anybody else has done anything similar, and can give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated .
the battery I'm using is a 42000mAh battery I got from Amazon obviously if I got a bigger battery I can go more the battery still had juice in it even after five hours
I Tried to keep flying for a commercial job with three batteries and a quick charger. I had overheating problems and had to quit.

Well kinda,
View attachment 35807

How many linked controllers do you have? Gonna run out of charge mate. Even with a plugged in charger you can not keep up. Let us know where you crashed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne