DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Turkey Buzzard.

Turkey Buzzard.
I know almost everyone calls these Turkey Vultures. 70+ years ago my dad introduced them to me and he called them Turkey Buzzards so I call them turkey Buzzards. Brings back good memories of my dad.
Taken with a Mavic 3 cine drone.
View attachment 149207
Well my home town, Miami, actually has a turkey buzzard season!
Each fall, turkey vultures trek thousands of miles to the Miami downtown area to enjoy the cool weather and roosting spots on tall buildings. The 28-story courthouse, the city’s tallest building until the early 1960s, has long been a favorite spot — its pyramid-stepped roof providing a lot of breathing space for the big black birds. The vultures flock south for the winter because it’s difficult to find food in areas up north like Pennsylvania and Ohio, said Jim Dunster, the curator of birds at Zoo Miami. Cold weather means frozen food for the vultures, so they opt to make the journey down south instead. And they don’t just come to Miami or the courthouse.

Dale
Miami

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article253154758.html#storylink=cpyScreen Shot 2022-06-03 at 9.06.17 AM.png

Well my home town, Miami, actually has a turkey buzzard season!
Each fall, turkey vultures trek thousands of miles to the Miami downtown area to enjoy the cool weather and roosting spots on tall buildings. The 28-story courthouse, the city’s tallest building until the early 1960s, has long been a favorite spot — its pyramid-stepped roof providing a lot of breathing space for the big black birds. The vultures flock south for the winter because it’s difficult to find food in areas up north like Pennsylvania and Ohio, said Jim Dunster, the curator of birds at Zoo Miami. Cold weather means frozen food for the vultures, so they opt to make the journey down south instead. And they don’t just come to Miami or the courthouse.

Dale
Miami

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article253154758.html#storylink=cpyView attachment 149255
Thanks for the information. I did not know that. It would be fun to be there with my cameras.

Thanks for the information. I did not know that. It would be fun to be there with my cameras.
Yes- they are all over the city at that season, including scavenging road kill on my local streets

Turkey Buzzard.
I know almost everyone calls these Turkey Vultures. 70+ years ago my dad introduced them to me and he called them Turkey Buzzards so I call them turkey Buzzards. Brings back good memories of my dad.
Taken with a Mavic 3 cine drone.
View attachment 149207
I had 2 after my Mavic 2 on the east end of the Grand Mesa here in Colorado. Finally had to quite flying.

Great photo!

Th
I am thinking you are 100% correct.
Their self defense mechanism is vomitting all of the lovely rotting dead flesh on which they’ve been feasting onto their attacker. Can you imagine cleaning that off your drone?

Great pic and timely too. I had a group of around 7 in my front yard this morning. I'm doing some squirrel abatement and I think they could smell the decomposition underground.

The formal name is Turkey Vulture, but they were Turkey Buzzards when I was a kid in Alabama. Today, I generally call them buzzards, except when I'm around my ornithologist friends. The terminology gets confusing here on this forum because "buzzard" in Europe refers to a group of hawks, the ones we call Buteos here, I think.

Coincidentally, I filmed some Turkey Buzzards and Black Buzzards in central Georgia last week and tinkered with the clips in learning Resolve 17. If anyone is interested, here's the link. Shot with an Air 2S. The zooming was done both with the drone camera and in Resolve.

I also learned something interesting about the birds a couple of days ago. Turkey Vultures /Buzzards rely on their keen sense of smell to find carrion. Black Buzzards/Vultures don't have a good sense of smell but use their extraordinarily sharp eyesight to find their meals.

The formal name is Turkey Vulture, but they were Turkey Buzzards when I was a kid in Alabama. Today, I generally call them buzzards, except when I'm around my ornithologist friends. The terminology gets confusing here on this forum because "buzzard" in Europe refers to a group of hawks, the ones we call Buteos here, I think.

Coincidentally, I filmed some Turkey Buzzards and Black Buzzards in central Georgia last week and tinkered with the clips in learning Resolve 17. If anyone is interested, here's the link. Shot with an Air 2S. The zooming was done both with the drone camera and in Resolve.

I also learned something interesting about the birds a couple of days ago. Turkey Vultures /Buzzards rely on their keen sense of smell to find carrion. Black Buzzards/Vultures don't have a good sense of smell but use their extraordinarily sharp eyesight to find their meals.
GREAT video = Thanks for letting me see it.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman