DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

U.S. attorney general highlights 'new threat' to security from drones

Reactions: JAW
Wait until the critics tie the remote ID technology to China's ability to get more and better data. It's my understand that many DSLR camera's also have wifi technology for firmware upgrades etc. I doubt we will hear much about that. I do think DJI could be more pro active in shutting down this data security concern by working with the US Government to ensure it's not an issue. Google Earth Street View gives the world static image data much more so than drones.

Wait until the critics tie the remote ID technology to China's ability to get more and better data. It's my understand that many DSLR camera's also have wifi technology for firmware upgrades etc. I doubt we will hear much about that. I do think DJI could be more pro active in shutting down this data security concern by working with the US Government to ensure it's not an issue. Google Earth Street View gives the world static image data much more so than drones.
And here in Oz at least, and I would expect elsewhere, there is commercial images much bigger than Google. I have personally used them for design of infrastructure and they show incredible detail.

Reactions: pelagic_one and JAW
thanks for article. Its the sign of the times.

I do think DJI could be more pro active in shutting down this data security concern by working with the US Government to ensure it's not an issue. Google Earth Street View gives the world static image data much more so than drones.
The problem is that DJI have already worked with Governments of many countries - including the USA - to actively show how data collection by DJI Drones can be restricted to local servers under the control of those Government agencies only, and not passed back to China. This is an enterprise-level feature that DJI released over a year ago. This is nothing to do with security - otherwise, Government security services would have highlighted it as a problem. It smacks of simply being part of the trade-war that POTUS has decided he wants with China.

The problem is that DJI have already worked with Governments of many countries - including the USA - to actively show how data collection by DJI Drones can be restricted to local servers under the control of those Government agencies only, and not passed back to China. This is an enterprise-level feature that DJI released over a year ago. This is nothing to do with security - otherwise, Government security services would have highlighted it as a problem. It smacks of simply being part of the trade-war that POTUS has decided he wants with China.

More now than ever there is a lack of trust with the Chinese.

I fly drones for fun not espionage
There are nuts out there on all sides
I've been on both sides of photography. Yes the China has to be watched. Problems are not on the civilian side of flying but come dirty (even by ignorance) when in sensitive areas of our country. This is why we have created clearances for personel and sterilization zones for items. In general 97% of America has very low security concerns from these drones.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki