Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAS Operator Indicted

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Any links to the story that can be accessed from European areas?

Sorry I do not. That one came to me from a fellow FAA Representative and it's all I have at this time.

Quick summary: a drone started diving at firefighters in front of their station, harrassing them. It then flew inside the garage where the fire engines were parked. The firefighters closed the garage door, and the drone crashed, appearing to be out of control (I suspect it may have lost GPS and/or control signals). Later, the drone operator came over to the station asking to recover his drone, saying he had let someone else fly it, and his "friend" crashed it.

His drone was not registered, The fire station was in controlled airspace, close to an airport, and the drone operator had not received authorization to fly in that controlled airspace. After questioning, the owner admitted that he had been the one flying the drone, there was no other "friend" involved.

They're charging him with flying a drone without registering it.

Holy crap, the brains on this guy to harass people with his drone, fly INSIDE an ambulance and then go down to the police station the same day to try to get it back ???. Glad noone got hurt but this guy really walked into some ?.

This is a bit of a whiny sidetrack, but man I really wish these local news sites specified what state they're in like the big publications do. How hard is it to type out (Salem, VA) at the very beginning, it's not even the top two Salems that most people think of.

Also chuckled at:
"The breadbox-sized aircraft"
and
"..and [drone pilots are required to] stay in contact via two-way radio with the air traffic control tower."

Being brand new to the sport, the thing about being in touch with the tower at all times threw me for a second, because I was looking at that thinking to myself, "Didn't I just read yesterday, where the only situation in which you would ever talk to ATC is during an emergency?"

Isn't the press just grand...

That one came to me from a fellow FAA Representative and it's all I have at this time.
@BigAl07 Do you recall when (what year) we were told not to contact ATC and use LAANC or similar.
Didn't I just read yesterday, where the only situation in which you would ever talk to ATC is during an emergency?
Hum, not sure way back in July of 2019. Not sure when they changed the contact ATC thing to use LAANC instead.

@BigAl07 Do you recall when (what year) we were told not to contact ATC and use LAANC or similar.

Hum, not sure way back in July of 2019. Not sure when they changed the contact ATC thing to use LAANC instead.
Doesn't really apply to me as I am out in the middle of nowhere. The closest tower to me is over 70 miles away, so I wouldn't have a tower to talk to even if I wanted to.

Reactions: dioscuriII
Last edited by a moderator:

This is about trying to contact ATC via radio, not about whether to get airspace authorization via ATC.

Any links to the story that can be accessed from European areas?

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons​

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact [email protected] or call 800-346-1234.

[Comment removed by Admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy must have been drunk flying, on drugs or have serious mental illness. Why would anyone fly in such a way, then ask the police if he could get the drone back. There has to be something wrong with this person. The news investigators didn't do any investigating into the drone operator or ask themselves why would someone do that? I wonder if they tried interviewing the person or family members or even do a simple google or facebook search on the guy. It seems like he did this on purpose, just to get attention. 15 minutes of infamous fame.

Yup, there's a new REG. somewhere in here. Age to buy/fly, or showing certifications: TRUST, p. 107.

This guy must have been drunk flying, on drugs or have serious mental illness. Why would anyone fly in such a way, then ask the police if he could get the drone back. There has to be something wrong with this person. The news investigators didn't do any investigating into the drone operator or ask themselves why would someone do that? I wonder if they tried interviewing the person or family members or even do a simple google or facebook search on the guy. It seems like he did this on purpose, just to get attention. 15 minutes of infamous fame.
Not really. From what I've seen & read - some drone pilots do not care, nor do they believe in rules - it's their drone and they can do whatever they want. Probably a 20 something - as that is within some of their mentality. (NOT ALL - so don't blow up millennials).

Proves the old adage - "You can't fix stupid!"

Wonder why it only took 2 years to start prosecuting the case? I mean, they have the crashed drone inside the Fire Dept bay, many witnesses, and the moron for a drone pilot waltzing up thinking he was getting his drone back - no issues. no to mention "lying" to them about "a friend" when it was truly him.

Reactions: dioscuriII
Isn't the press just grand...
Yes I enjoy a free press. It’s a minor mistake by a reporter who doesn’t know much about our niche hobby. I’ve emailed the reporter asking for a correction. I suggest others do as well. Kindly please.
The breadbox-sized aircraft
This is such a funny way to describe the size of anything. Does anyone under a certain age even know what a breadbox is? I haven’t seen one in decades. ?

Last edited:
Yes I enjoy a free press. It’s a minor mistake by a reporter who doesn’t know much about our. I he hobby. I’ve emailed the reporter asking for a correction. I suggest others do as well. Kindly please.

This is such a funny way to describe the size of anything. Does anyone under a certain age even know what a breadbox is? I haven’t seen one in decades. ?
I had a breadbox on my counter up until about 5 years ago lol

• Haha
Reactions: ckoerner
This is about trying to contact ATC via radio, not about whether to get airspace authorization via ATC.
This is how I took it as well.

Here in Canada you’re often required (not always) to constantly monitor ATC via radio and have direct communication via cell phone should they need to speak with you. Provided you’re in controlled airspace, of course.

Reactions: Droniac
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki