DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unstable Hyperlapse Mode

sodabiscuit12345

Reactions
Hi everyone, I've shot 2 hypselapse in the last 2 days (my first ever) and I'm noticing considerable shake in my video. Not flickering due to image, just really unstable footage, like the gimbal or drone wasn't flying properly. I've included the youtube link.

It's a mavic 2
I've had one small crash with it a year ago.
Video footage has always seemed rock solid to me. No visible issues with stability that I can see.
I shot 125 pics like this at 2 sec intervals.

I've seen a couple of other posts about this but never saw how they concluded.

Any help appreciated.

This might help some. It involves an M3, but the basics should be the same.
Jerky Hyperlapse

Was there any wind during the hyperlapse? Try a much slower speed, something around 3.5 km/h. Your hyperlapse is way too fast. This looks like aggressive stabilization by the drone because of camera shake, either caused by wind or too fast fly speed. If the issue doesn't go away on slower hyperlapse speeds try to calibrate the gimbal and IMU on a flat surface. This helped me for me when I had drifting during hyperlapse.

Also, if you have a powerful computer you can shoot JPEGs or RAWs along with the hyperlapse, then edit them in Lightroom (if you shoot RAW), and put it in to Davinci Resolve or another editing software where you put the photos together back to a video and stabilize it yourself, because the DNGs and JPEGs from hyperlapse aren't stabilized, they are straight from the camera. To enable this feature, when you're in hyperlapse mode, before starting it, on the bottom where you select the quality, click there, a menu will appear, and select DNG or JPEG option depending on what you want. Then on your SD Card there will be a new folder created in the same directory as 100MEDIA called HYPERLAPSE, where you will find your photos.

Was there any wind during the hyperlapse? Try a much slower speed, something around 3.5 km/h. Your hyperlapse is way too fast. This looks like aggressive stabilization by the drone because of camera shake, either caused by wind or too fast fly speed. If the issue doesn't go away on slower hyperlapse speeds try to calibrate the gimbal and IMU on a flat surface. This helped me for me when I had drifting during hyperlapse.

Also, if you have a powerful computer you can shoot JPEGs or RAWs along with the hyperlapse, then edit them in Lightroom (if you shoot RAW), and put it in to Davinci Resolve or another editing software where you put the photos together back to a video and stabilize it yourself, because the DNGs and JPEGs from hyperlapse aren't stabilized, they are straight from the camera. To enable this feature, when you're in hyperlapse mode, before starting it, on the bottom where you select the quality, click there, a menu will appear, and select DNG or JPEG option depending on what you want. Then on your SD Card there will be a new folder created in the same directory as 100MEDIA called HYPERLAPSE, where you will find your photos.

When I shot there wasn’t any wind.
I had it set at 1.88km (the slowest setting)
I also edit the raw images and stabilize in FCPX which didn’t help much.
I just updated the firmware and recalibrated with assistant 2 mavic.
Unfortunately I tried all of the above and still wasn’t working.

One final thing I need to try is to fly the drone 50m high. Apparently my issues may be caused by the fact that I wasn’t flying it high enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman