DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky Hyperlapse

PAW

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Here's a snippet from hyperlapse I did this morning. I usually have the drone moving when I do hyperlapses, but his morning I left it stationary. There was just a tiny hint of a breeze and I was using an M3.
Disappointed with the resulting jerkiness of the clip which I do not see when doing hyperlapses while moving the drone. I have not yet run the result through Resolve to enhance stabilization.

So, is this clip's jerkiness:
1- A normal result due to slight movements of the drone?
2- Or a result of the M3's internal rendering?

Would processing the JPEGs through LRTimelapse give me a better initial result (regarding motion)?
Example

I havent done a helluva alot of hyperlapse with my new Mavic3, but that seems unusual.
I'd say either it was quite windy up there, or you were in some sort of an airpocket/ updraft where the air was a little turbulent? Wild stab in the dark...
Otherwise, calibrate the gimble before your next flight and see if that fixes it?

Another thought, did you have any sort of guards or landing feet attached? My M3 goes bezerk with the guards attached.

Another thought, did you have any sort of guards or landing feet attached? My M3 goes bezerk with the guards attached.
No, nothing attached and she holds station well enough for stills and videos. Stable enough to take good shots with the 7x lens. GPS was fine and she was only 88 feet above me with negligible wind at my level. The hyperlapse was shot at 3sec intervals and the gimbal was not used. It functions properly in all other situations. Prior to and after shooting the 600 shots, the drone hovered without any movement noticeable on the RC display.

I have been trying a nighttime hyper-lapse for several days now. Unfortunately, the wind has been gusty and the 6-sec video is choppy. I never saw the drone shake but with 150 images it's obvious the wind was a factor. I'm now trying to clean it up in FCPx.

Here's a snippet from hyperlapse I did this morning. I usually have the drone moving when I do hyperlapses, but his morning I left it stationary. There was just a tiny hint of a breeze and I was using an M3.
Disappointed with the resulting jerkiness of the clip which I do not see when doing hyperlapses while moving the drone. I have not yet run the result through Resolve to enhance stabilization.

So, is this clip's jerkiness:
1- A normal result due to slight movements of the drone?
2- Or a result of the M3's internal rendering?

Would processing the JPEGs through LRTimelapse give me a better initial result (regarding motion)?
Example
I have a very long experience with this, which I have called the wobbles. If you search the forum there was a lot of discussion about this for my continued trials at doing sunset hyperlapses with my Mavic 2 Pro. I never succeeded in removing the wobbles. I usually would fly at about 150 feet, and do a 10-15 minute recording. I processed it in LRTimelapse. I tried stabilization in Premier Pro and another stabilizer to very little improvement. People told me to fly without the wind, and to not stay in one position. I tried that too and still got the wobbles. I have never solved this problem. I tried the thing with my Mavic 3 and got the same results. See the attachmentScreenshot 2023-02-23 at 9.27.52 AM.png

On the contrary, ive been somewhat successful with the ones i have been able to shoot in the city. Not really had much of an issue with both my old M2P and the new M3. I only shoot 5sec or longer.

I have a very long experience with this, which I have called the wobbles. If you search the forum there was a lot of discussion about this for my continued trials at doing sunset hyperlapses with my Mavic 2 Pro. I never succeeded in removing the wobbles. I usually would fly at about 150 feet, and do a 10-15 minute recording. I processed it in LRTimelapse. I tried stabilization in Premier Pro and another stabilizer to very little improvement. People told me to fly without the wind, and to not stay in one position. I tried that too and still got the wobbles. I have never solved this problem. I tried the thing with my Mavic 3 and got the same results. See the attachmentView attachment 161011
Yeah, Dale, I had looked at your "Wobbles" post from 5/20/22 as it dealt with the M3.
What drew my attention and questions was post #30 where you displayed a sunrise hyperlapse with zero "wobble". From the cloud movement, it appears you were experiencing even more of a breeze than I was.
Not sure if you employed warp stabilization on the M3's processed file or if you assembled the clip (LRT?) from the individual photos and then stabilized it.

On the contrary, ive been somewhat successful with the ones i have been able to shoot in the city. Not really had much of an issue with both my old M2P and the new M3. I only shoot 5sec or longer.
I watched your ferris wheel and river traffic hyperlapse video. Very nice. Have you done any sunset hyper lapses? Can you give me a hint of your technique. I try to pick a time with no wind, height of above 150 feet, use video hyperlapse set at 5 second intervals, and shoot for the length of the sunset which is about 20 minutes. I have also tried timed intervals of 5 seconds in photo shooting menu and process in LR Timelapse.

Rock solid. Did you use the original M3's compiled clip, or assemble it yourself in a third-party app?

Yeah, Dale, I had looked at your "Wobbles" post from 5/20/22 as it dealt with the M3.
What drew my attention and questions was post #30 where you displayed a sunrise hyperlapse with zero "wobble". From the cloud movement, it appears you were experiencing even more of a breeze than I was.
Not sure if you employed warp stabilization on the M3's processed file or if you assembled the clip (LRT?) from the individual photos and then stabilized it.
My usual routine is to save the RAW files and assemble in LRTimelapse, then stabilize in Premiere Pro.

Rock solid. Did you use the original M3's compiled clip, or assemble it yourself in a third-party app?
I mainly use the built in option with the Mavic to produce the hyperlaps. If it doesnt turn out the way i like, then i will go in afterwards and make it up in DaVinci.

I watched your ferris wheel and river traffic hyperlapse video. Very nice. Have you done any sunset hyper lapses? Can you give me a hint of your technique. I try to pick a time with no wind, height of above 150 feet, use video hyperlapse set at 5 second intervals, and shoot for the length of the sunset which is about 20 minutes. I have also tried timed intervals of 5 seconds in photo shooting menu and process in LR Timelapse.
No special technique for me really, send her up, fiddle with the settings and let rip.
I havent done a sunrise/sunset hyper in a while. I'll try find something and will post if it suits.

My usual routine is to save the RAW files and assemble in LRTimelapse, then stabilize in Premiere Pro.
Thanks Dale. I've seen the reviews, but what is your personal experience as far as the value of paying for LRT? Do you use the Pro version and if so, why the upgrade?

As said above this has been discussed in several threads. I’ve had success and failure at hyperlapse and Timelapse (stationary hyperlapse is Timelapse). My conclusion is that it depends on the scene and you have to avoid objects too close, the best scenarios are with distant scenes. It’s basic physics, if the drone is moving ever so slightly, then u see more or less of the edges of an object. A hyperlapse of an iron bridge or road in the distance works well because there’s view edges to see and your also moving which helps. With any movement in Timelapse you’ll see a different perspective on side facing edges of the object which can’t be fixed with any software.

Thanks all. Will add a little motion on my next attempt.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1