DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unusual “formation” of night flight drones

RustyBonz

Ex PMA-281
Premium Pilot
Reactions
While studying for my part 107 test last year, I purchased the FAA maps that detail areas nearest my residence. A farmers field next door is a great place to practice - anyway I noticed that there is a military route at 300’ for hi-speed helicopters. My neighbor and I have seen, on several occasions an unusual night time flight formation of at least 4 maybe 6 drones. I fly there often and know the alt and speed are drone. Grabbed my binoculars to see what they looked like. I swear I saw fixed wing. Also the noise that they made wasn’t what I expected- almost jet-engine sounding tho not fast. They went around in about mile size circles before buzzing off. Is this crazy? They generally followed the milroute and I’m in a general area near an airbase. What drone sounds like a jet?

Reactions: Torque
While studying for my part 107 test last year, I purchased the FAA maps that detail areas nearest my residence. A farmers field next door is a great place to practice - anyway I noticed that there is a military route at 300’ for hi-speed helicopters. My neighbor and I have seen, on several occasions an unusual night time flight formation of at least 4 maybe 6 drones. I fly there often and know the alt and speed are drone. Grabbed my binoculars to see what they looked like. I swear I saw fixed wing. Also the noise that they made wasn’t what I expected- almost jet-engine sounding tho not fast. They went around in about mile size circles before buzzing off. Is this crazy? They generally followed the milroute and I’m in a general area near an airbase. What drone sounds like a jet?
Would be great if you could get a decent video of them. :)

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
Sounds like something military would be interested in trialing for smaller area surveillance.
Would be interesting to know what some of cameras etc they might have on board.

Jet like sound ?
Could be !! Or some sort of gas turbine.
They have the $ and expertise to build anything.

Sounds like something military would be interested in trialing for smaller area surveillance.
Would be interesting to know what some of cameras etc they might have on board.

Jet like sound ?
Could be !! Or some sort of gas turbine.
They have the $ and expertise to build anything.
I was considering contacting the Pomona NJ FAA to inquire. The range on C&C and fuel capacity must be a local setup They are 40 miles away

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J