DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update to new laws for using small drones in Mexico

ScubaBob

Reactions
This is an update to my previous posting about the new laws effective December 1, 2018 for flying a small drone in Mexico. Drones over 25 kg have a totally different set of regs.

New Regulations for Drone Operations in Mexico
Multiple Mexican publications have stated that drone operators will be required to obtain a license in order to fly a drone in Mexico, and that these regulations will go into effect on Dec. 1, 2018. However, the DGCA has not yet shared information on how to obtain a license. We will update this page when the information becomes available. What we’ve gathered for now is that in order to obtain a drone license in Mexico you must:
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be Mexican by birth
  • Provide your military release card
  • Have a high school diploma
  • Be in good health
For more information on Mexico’s drone laws, see this document containing legislation issued by the Mexican government.

I got this information from Drone Laws in Mexico | UAV Coach (2018)

Reactions: Rich55
I have no immediate plans to visit Mexico This will stop tourists from flying. It is hard to imagine that there isn't a temporary waiver of some sort.

What about expats?

I have no immediate plans to visit Mexico This will stop tourists from flying. It is hard to imagine that there isn't a temporary waiver of some sort.

What about expats?
Gee, I thought my quoting from the law was pretty clear. It doesn't say a thing about ex-pats. It says, "Be Mexican by birth" and discharged from the Mexican military. If by Ex-pats you mean a Gringo from the US then the law is pretty clear--no drones under any condition. Comprende?

This is an update to my previous posting about the new laws effective December 1, 2018 for flying a small drone in Mexico. Drones over 25 kg have a totally different set of regs.

Multiple Mexican publications have stated that drone operators will be required to obtain a license in order to fly a drone in Mexico, and that these regulations will go into effect on Dec. 1, 2018. However, the DGCA has not yet shared information on how to obtain a license. We will update this page when the information becomes available. What we’ve gathered for now is that in order to obtain a drone license in Mexico you must:
  • Be Mexican by birth
  • Be in good health
For more information on Mexico’s drone laws, see this document containing legislation issued by the Mexican government.

Thanks, as much as I would like to take my drone on a trip of a lifetime to Mexico I will leave it behind. I am a photographer too and have concern taking any camera gear other than my phone and GoPro. This vacation will be my first and last to Mexico.

Thanks, as much as I would like to take my drone on a trip of a lifetime to Mexico I will leave it behind. I am a photographer too and have concern taking any camera gear other than my phone and GoPro. This vacation will be my first and last to Mexico.

Don’t judge what Mexico is like by this ruling, or these posts. See it through your own eyes, and as a photographer you will see it as an amazing place. Drone images are overrated compared to what you will see and can get on the ground with the people and landscapes up close. It’s an amazing place for photography, and for just seeing its culture and people.

Hope you have a great time there and see it for what it really presents, and trust me, I don’t think it will be your last time there.

Don’t judge what Mexico is like by this ruling, or these posts. See it through your own eyes, and as a photographer you will see it as an amazing place. Drone images are overrated compared to what you will see and can get on the ground with the people and landscapes up close. It’s an amazing place for photography, and for just seeing its culture and people.

Hope you have a great time there and see it for what it really presents, and trust me, I don’t think it will be your last time there.
Thanks for the encouragement, I have been considering visiting Mexico for a very long time. I am looking forward to the journey. We will be staying in Riviera Maya.

Reactions: AMann
Thanks for the encouragement, I have been considering visiting Mexico for a very long time. I am looking forward to the journey. We will be staying in Riviera Maya.

I mainly have stayed in western Mexico, but the beaches and caves seen online in Riviera Maya look amazing! Your GoPro in a case will definitely be a go to camera there! Have a great visit!

These laws in Mexico are because of drone use by cartels, not only to fly drugs over the border, but they have been weaponized to carry and drop hand grenades onto rival cartel personnel who represent targets too well protected st ground level

Reactions: Rich55
These laws in Mexico are because of drone use by cartels, not only to fly drugs over the border, but they have been weaponized to carry and drop hand grenades onto rival cartel personnel who represent targets too well protected st ground level
Yipes! here comes the crack down

I'm sure the cartels are just give up their life of crime now and get legitimate jobs. /s

Reactions: Alky1229
Gee, I thought my quoting from the law was pretty clear. It doesn't say a thing about ex-pats. It says, "Be Mexican by birth" and discharged from the Mexican military. If by Ex-pats you mean a Gringo from the US then the law is pretty clear--no drones under any condition. Comprende?
Gee, I guess you're screwed now, huh, Sponge Bob, Comprende?

Last edited:

Nice posting. Thanks. I agree. Every country has its quirks although developing nations seem to have more of them. Still, I take plenty of land as well as underwater photographs around Mexico, especially of the ruins.

Reactions: Rich55 and AMann
I have been searching and was not able to find the updated Mexican laws, everything I have read seems to mirror the laws we have here in the USA. I live in El Paso, TX which is a border town and will most likely fly in Mexico.

• Be Mexican by birth
  • Be in good health

Also....... do Not get caught transporting MORE THAN 12 Tacos in one bag on a drone flight. UNBELIEVABLE punishment PLUS the loss of drone AND its contraband payload.

Late to post but I’ve taken my MP to Cabo and Sayulita with no issues. The MP has a small footprint so maybe that helps but again no questions or issues with customs. Plan on taking again in November.

Hey, how did it go?? Are you going to back again?

Late to post but I’ve taken my MP to Cabo and Sayulita with no issues. The MP has a small footprint so maybe that helps but again no questions or issues with customs. Plan on taking again in November.
Details of transport please... alone? In a case with other equipment? What airport? Etc. TOA

Details of transport please... alone? In a case with other equipment? What airport? Etc. TOA
Amateur for fun only. Last trip was two years ago flew into Puerto Vallarta had drone in my carry one backpack with no issues, same with Cabo. US carriers. Going back in November fly into Puerto Vallarta hopefully with Skydio 2 as I just sold my mavic pro. I had a small travel case, Skydio not as compact but should fit in a backpack judging by promo video. I never fly above crowds and just use common sense and laws aside I don’t really think Mexican customs care if you don’t give them a reason to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25