DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vertical line appearing in videos, anyone else?

AirJordan

Reactions
Does anyone else get vertical lines in their videos when shooting in 2.7K or higher? I don't think it's a sensor issue as 1080p videos and photos are fine.

Here's an example (right pant leg) for consideration. Only noticed it recently as I rarely use my Mavic and usually shoot in 1080p. And DJI Care Refresh and warranty is out as I've had it for a year and a half now.

https://i.imgur.com/NmA2pso.jpg

It actually may be a sensor issue. The sensor is a 4k sensor but throws away data when you drop down to 1080p. It may have been throwing away corrupted sensor data but as you scale up it can't throw it out. I am not sure about photos but the debayering occurring in the photos may also be hiding the issue. A line of pixels may be completely dead or not detecting photos, since a single line doesn't generate all the data needed for generating an images (as it they are calculated with data from the neighboring sensor pixels) it can create artifacts that display when using the full resolution.

It actually may be a sensor issue. The sensor is a 4k sensor but throws away data when you drop down to 1080p. It may have been throwing away corrupted sensor data but as you scale up it can't throw it out. I am not sure about photos but the debayering occurring in the photos may also be hiding the issue. A line of pixels may be completely dead or not detecting photos, since a single line doesn't generate all the data needed for generating an images (as it they are calculated with data from the neighboring sensor pixels) it can create artifacts that display when using the full resolution.

I had a look at some vertical videos I took and some don't have it and some do.

I had a look at some vertical videos I took and some don't have it and some do.

4K sizing? Also, a good test would be to check in different lighting conditions. Pointing the sensor at bright light (sun or light) and seeing if it goes away or covering the sensor so it is black and seeing if is still there. Keep in in mind that a row of sensors working at lower voltage will throw of photon detection creating lower values. I had a video camera that did this and had to be returned for a replacement. The sensor was at fault though my issue was more pronounced.

4K sizing? Also, a good test would be to check in different lighting conditions. Pointing the sensor at bright light (sun or light) and seeing if it goes away or covering the sensor so it is black and seeing if is still there. Keep in in mind that a row of sensors working at lower voltage will throw of photon detection creating lower values. I had a video camera that did this and had to be returned for a replacement. The sensor was at fault though my issue was more pronounced.

Yeah, 4K sizing. I'll run a few more tests but it seems like it's intermittent. If it's a problem I think i'll just continue to record video in 1080p because I don't really want to have to pay for repairs out of warranty.

Yeah, 4K sizing. I'll run a few more tests but it seems like it's intermittent. If it's a problem I think i'll just continue to record video in 1080p because I don't really want to have to pay for repairs out of warranty.

It could be intermittent artifact depending on some factors. Also keep in mind that compression of video can work in your favor too. You can record at 4k but then down rez it on your computer to 1080p. You will retain alot of the sharpness in the images from 4k but may lose some artifacts because they get lost in the compression algorithm. I would try a few things like that as well.

Reactions: ksmusa
It could be intermittent artifact depending on some factors. Also keep in mind that compression of video can work in your favor too. You can record at 4k but then down rez it on your computer to 1080p. You will retain alot of the sharpness in the images from 4k but may lose some artifacts because they get lost in the compression algorithm. I would try a few things like that as well.

What do you mean by intermittent artifact? Any suggestions for not getting it in post?

And yes, when scaled to 1080p it was very minimal, almost intolerable to the naked eye. I would like to shoot in 4K but if it's more going to cost me a couple of hundred to get it fixed I might as well wait for the Mavic Pro II

Reactions: ksmusa

I was thinking just now, I wonder if my picture profile actually has anything to do with it as I only just recently changed that. What profile do you use, D-Log or D- Cinelike?

What do you mean by intermittent artifact? Any suggestions for not getting it in post?

And yes, when scaled to 1080p it was very minimal, almost intolerable to the naked eye. I would like to shoot in 4K but if it's more going to cost me a couple of hundred to get it fixed I might as well wait for the Mavic Pro II

Intermittent based on electrical issues on the sensor or its controller. I am guessing here as I am not a familiar completely with electronics; but say a line of sensors works fine until the battery hits a lower voltage. So it works fine initially but the longer it goes the worse it gets. It doesn't have to be voltage; on some of the early DSLR cameras that did video artifacts showed up as the sensor began to heat up. There are lot variables. I personally am a camera guy and not really a drone guy so I am throwing out advice I would give to camera operators. What I would do is spend a few batteries determining what situation causes the artifact to show up then try to work around them. If it does show up in post often, you can try a few things.

One thing I would do is this. Record video at 4k with a make shift "lens cap". Record video at all ISOs this way. Should only need a few seconds for each. If the artifact shows up and is not moving at all on the footage, you can try taking these videos and looping them over top of your video in your editor. If change the overlay mode to "Subtract" then it may remove the artifact. You may need to check with your editing software on how to change this mode. This is a trick that I have seen used in astro-photography when you do really long exposures and you get pixel artifacts from certain parts of sensors being more sensitive than others. The problem is that it can sometimes introduce more noise; especially at high ISOs though you may be able to do noise reduction. Worth a try though. Google 'Dark frames and astrophotography' for more in depth info.

I was thinking just now, I wonder if my picture profile actually has anything to do with it as I only just recently changed that. What profile do you use, D-Log or D- Cinelike?

D-Log but that is because I have Blackmagic Cinema camera that also shoots log and if I want them to match it will be easier to grade match them. Cinelike is good but I prefer Log. I also have a lot of Film LUTs too as Film guy. The LUTs assume you start with a LOG gamma curve.

I have recently bought mavic air and these vertical lines appear in sideway trolley shots and also on turning, i shot both in 4k and alsp hd, it still persists,, i am quite clueless what to do, plz help.

Just got my M2P yesterday, I have a similar green line appearing only in videos, I tried formatting my SD card, it seems the problem persists even when I've recorded to internal storage.
Funny thing is it does not show up in photograph mode.
Live view even shows the one pixel green line top to bottom. Mine's at about 600 pixels from the left side.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman