DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Very disappointed with my new Nvidia Shield

Don't really have an answer for that one, taztwr. I've had no issues at all with DJI GO 4 on my Shield since I rolled back. I haven't tried Litchi or any other apps that use the DJI SDK yet though. Maybe you have a bad USB cable? I bought a Startech angle USB cable thing from Amazon for my Shield and Mavmount setup.
I bought the same cable. I should clarify, Litchi works fine on my K1, it's DJI that still gets the disconnect from time to time. More often than in my phone

I bought the same cable. I should clarify, Litchi works fine on my K1, it's DJI that still gets the disconnect from time to time. More often than in my phone

Yeah that's really strange. I've only used DJI GO 4 up to this point but definitely want to expand out to other apps. I had to downgrade mine, then factory reset it and disabled most of the built in apps on mine and have things like WiFi and Bluetooth turned off, but haven't had any problems yet. I have optimization set to favor the DJI GO app if I remember right too, but don't have it handy to check.

Doesn't sound like a hardware thing if Litchi works. Maybe a guide of initial setup for the Shield would help, but I (like others) would like DJI to just fix the bugs already. :)

Yeah that's really strange. I've only used DJI GO 4 up to this point but definitely want to expand out to other apps. I had to downgrade mine, then factory reset it and disabled most of the built in apps on mine and have things like WiFi and Bluetooth turned off, but haven't had any problems yet. I have optimization set to favor the DJI GO app if I remember right too, but don't have it handy to check.

Doesn't sound like a hardware thing if Litchi works. Maybe a guide of initial setup for the Shield would help, but I (like others) would like DJI to just fix the bugs already. :)
Agreed. Just fix the issue so we can upgrade and fly and not worry about this

Reactions: Bunny Too
I previously posted that I hadn't had any problems with the Nvidia Shield. I should have kept quiet. DJI Go 4 now crashes in the first two minutes of my first flight but here is the weird thing. It comes back up after about 6 to 8 seconds with the Here maps gone and Google Maps back in place. The rest of my flights as long as I don't restart DJI GO are rock solid without any issues.

I have to agree with the op. I have spent the last 2 days since the Nougat update trying to get any dji or litchi app to not crash after about 8 to 10 minutes of flight. I have tried reloading the apps, airplane mode, do not disturb mode, have Go4 automatically start on usb, downgrade to Go4 .01, reset tablet to factory and then load just Go4 .02. Everything resulted in at least one app crash during flight, sometimes two. It is really just annoying because I can restart Go4 from the running apps tab (but not litchi) and it reconnects and I am flying again in about 10 seconds.But before the Nougat update, this thing was solid as a rock. I was originally blaming the Go4 update, but upon further testing, I believe it is the Nougat update.
Yes the update will trash tge app

Hello Nvidia Shield K1 users, i too HAD problems with the new DJI go 4 app crashing and disconnecting as well as lag with Android 7. so I down grated to 6.0.1 and all works well!

To help the processor in the shield, go into airplane mode. limit all background tasks.

For years since 2013 with DJI product, IOS devices seem to be much stabler and maybe DJI focus on ION first then Android? The reason i tried one Nvidia Shield K1, was to experiment with HDMI Goggles and it works well with the Headplay goggles and other HDMI goggles. I am doing this until the DJI goggles are available. Also, i have TWO Mavic Controllers, Master is the IOS display controller and the other Mavic Controller is for the Nvidia Shield K1 and the HDMI googles.

I do this as a backup... both work well.

As for the Phantom 4 Pro experience just using the Nvidia to the master controller, i get video loss and disconnects, my setup on the Go App 4 is the same so i am not sure why the Phantom 4 Pro makes a difference over the Mavic setup so i only use IOS device on the Phantom 4 Pro setup.

Just general feedback and hope this helps folks.

Best regards,
Steve

If I were to buy the nvidia shield tablet, which android version would it come with. If it came with 5.0 and not 6.0, is there a way to upgrade to just 6.0 and 7.0? I'm strongly considering this tablet now that the source of the app crashes seems to have been figured out.
If the sheild is made in 2016 it will be 6.0 mashmellow... ignore software upgrade n youll be fine...

View attachment 8363

Thanks. I disabled most of those before reading your post but also before my 1st K1 flight.

1st K1 flight went great. Screen recording (DU Recorder) worked perfectly. No GO 4 crashes or problems. No disconnects or video lag. I know it is only one flight but the experience was very good. After the flight I put the micro SD card from the Mavic into the K1 and used the One Drive app to transfer video and screen recording to One Drive with no problem or slowness (like experienced with my iPad Mini 2). This is perfect for me and if it works for a few more flights the Mini 2 is ebay bound. I really like screen recording all flights to be able to review things I missed during the real time flight.

It was a cold (20 degree F) windy day so I only burned one battery today. I did check out some of the recent wind damage in the neighborhood (not my fence).

I went in and disabled all the "Google" Apps (Gmail, Hangouts, Movies and TV, etc.) and most anything else I didn't think was terribly relevant. The Nvidia Hub I think is what tells you there's an update and bugs you about updating. Not sure if that's needed for the built in screen recorder or not. I'm pretty sure I disabled it though along with any preloaded games and things like that.

I have the DJI Go 4 app set to optimize currently, hopefully that gives it most of the horsepower of the unit.

I have B4UFly installed and a weather app (Storm in my case), but I'd have to connect wifi to my hotspot to really make use of any of those, or use them before I went to fly. The Shield is a nice tablet, but I basically have it just for the Mavic.

I also have a Nvidia Shield K1 with DU Recorder which kept after a few mins record would frustratingly abort the recording. Appreciate your post as I also disabled after reading uninstalled all unnecessary apps and then disabled all the Google apps. That solved the problem. THANK YOU!

Seems to be related to Android 7 instead of Android 7 on the Shield. There's a thread on DJI Forums where someone has a Nexus 6P with 7.1.1 and had crashes. Someone else had some crashes with a S7 and Android 7 as well. Rolling back or leaving it at Android 6 on the Shield seems to make DJI Go 4 work just fine. I saw more of those posts (that things work fine on Android 6) than anything.

Hello Dr. Droo I also have a Nvidia K1 that I just got and had some problems with the DU recorder crashing before it finished a few min run. I saw your post and uninstalled everything possible except for DJI GO4 and DU Recorder and then it worked for me. Thank you for that post! Later today I was planning on doing about a 10 minute flight with the DU Recorder and unlike the last two times after I unloaded everything, this time both the DJI GO4 and DU Recorder crashed. Fortunately I just reloaded and resumed control thankfully. I am wondering if it is some setting in the DU recorder I need to change, any insight on that since its working fine I am assuming on your K1? Your post above siting issues with Android 7. I running Android ver 7 with SHIELD software ver 5.1. Do you think rolling back to Android 6 would be adviseable? If so any links on information how to do a roll back for K1 would be greatly appreciated. I just recently got this, so you may have gotten all your bugs out with the K1 setup with DU Recorder is why I ask. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope