DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video choppy & lagging-HELP

Phil Engel

Reactions
Hi Mavic pilots, I received my mavic two weeks ago and am going crazy trying to fix the lagging and choppy video. I also have a DJI 2 Standard and the video is smooth and perfect. I am a seasoned rc pilot and have never crashed my drones. Here is what I have tried with NO results.
1. Fly in tripod mode.
2. Changed sd cards.
3. Changed video settings to 720p, still choppy.
4. Watched utube videos on gimbal adjustments and tried these fixes.
5. I use a new iPad min 2 for the screen.
6. If I set the drone on a table and slowly rotate the drone around there is no lagging.
7. I am about to send the drone back to DJI for evaluation, as I do not know what else to try.
8 I see where some of the mavic owners suggest exporting to a program like Final Cut and compressing the
video before viewing. What I cannot understand, is when I change the settings to 720p, the lagging still
exists. Am I missing something here, or is this something I will have to live with. Any comments would
greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Phil

Can you put a raw unedited direct from sd card example to Dropbox and link it here?

trying to fix the lagging and choppy video
Is the video lagging/choppy when watching the live view in DJI GO and/or when copying the recorded video from the Mavic's memory card and watching on your computer?

Is the video lagging/choppy when watching the live view in DJI GO and/or when copying the recorded video from the Mavic's memory card and watching on your computer?
Thanks for the response. It is choppy and lagging in both live view and on my iMac computer.

Hi Phil, Any update on your issue? I am having same problem with live view being very laggy. I got my Mavic almost 2 weeks but just had a chance to test it indoor today.

I using Samsung Note 3 with DJI GO 4 app using the 16gb micro sd card that came with my Fly more package. All firmware is up to date. I try 1080 at 30 fps and didn't make difference.

Hope someone can give me some tips since I'm a noob. I try researching online and youtube but mostly about gimble and jelly issue. I hope it's just setting issue and not the actual camera which has to be sent back. I bought it from B&H so I might contact them.

Tia,
Charlie

Newbie here, 2 flights only!! still absolutely in awe with the technology, but also totally daunting for me....so baby steps!!

The ONE big issue I have immediately is ... "choppy" video feed to my iPhone while flying!!

The flight video is perfectly fine thats been saved on the micro SD card, when played back on my computer at home.....but it's absolutely impossible to fly looking at the iPhone because of the lag/choppy image on the live display....

Please help!

I have the same problem with my android phone.... And i can't use follow me because i cant see myself on screen to select who i want it to follow!

I have the same problem with my android phone.... And i can't use follow me because i cant see myself on screen to select who i want it to follow!
One of the suggestions I got was to turn on Airplane Mode.....and to Turn OFF the Cache recording on the phone. not sure this will work, I'll try this weekend.

didn't work for me.... I've fiddled with anything that I think might affect it.... even went into developer settings on my phone.... maybe I just need a better phone.

Same problem here with the live feed on my iPhone 6. Doesn't matter the signal strength of the video feed.
What's strange is that I never had this problem for the first month or so of flying the Mavic.
Wonder if it's a new firmware issue?

Same problem here, using Samsung GS4.. was thinking its my crappy phone but i notice someone said same issue with an iphone 6

Reactions: SteelRain
Not sure since I am only a two-week Mavic pilot, but the choppy video could be that you are shooting 4K video and playing it back in HD or 1080. Not sure if the 1080 codec can handle the 4K.

Since I don't have 4K am sticking with 1080. I still don't know how to change the video format to other than 1080.

Same problem here, using Samsung GS4.. was thinking its my crappy phone but i notice someone said same issue with an iphone 6

I had the same issues with my Samsung S4 when I first got the Mavic but switched to another phone (Droid Turbo) and it has been fine ever since .

Same problem here. It was much better when I got the drone three weeks ago, so could have to do with the recent app updates.

same problem here using galaxy s7 edge all on latest firmwares.video is fine when i transfer it to the pc but while flying its laggy and app crashing

I'm having a similar problem. I just got my Mavic with and iPhone 6 and the live feed is so choppy and laggy that it is unusable. It is even worse if I turn of codecs, but it still is bad with it turned on.

Any ideas? I've tried messing with all the settings but nothing seems to help

Yeah, I gave up on the Mavic, sorry.

I was able to demonstrate a pretty consistent 3-4 second lag with 8 different iPhones, Android tablets, airplane modes off, on, reboot, reinstall software, delete every app save Go, new phones... very frustrating.
Started off as your typical Apple iPhone deal where over time the app would start go get sluggish, so I deleted all background apps, turned the cache off, and it was okay for a bit, but then started lagging again, and this time stayed there.
It was distance independent - 5ft away, 3 sec lag. 500ft away, 3 sec lag.

The footage in the cache and on the card was fine. No problems there. Just the live view, which one tends to use when one is doing, say, a rise-over-foreground-object and refocus/reframe as whatever is behind that object is revealed. Having to anticipate where the drone and the camera would be in 3 seconds, and release controls like one was flying a Jumbo Jet by wire when a producer is looking over one's shoulder for a precise frame... strictly a no go situation.

I had a blast shooting with it on the fly, regular B roll stuff, not a problem. Never even noticed a lag, because usually in those events the duration of the shot doesn't really matter (i.e. you don't have to start at X and then hit height Y and position Z to bring object A into focus B seconds later, which is typical for shooting a TV commercial, for instance). But as soon as I tried to fly the Mavic precisely like that, even a second or two off...

SO it's back to my Inspires and Cinestars for the moment.
But when DJI get that lag sorted out (I have to say that not all Mavics had that problem - I switched a couple out while testing - but of course I'd have to test each one before every critical flight to see the problem didn't surface in the meantime) I'm getting me a Mavic 2!

As DJI go keep update and get bulky, it also requires higher hardware requirement. I think only modern dedicated device could run the app smoothly.
A supported device does mean it can run smooth, like iPad mini 2 should opt out. Android, on the other hand, has a terrible compatibility. That is why crystal sky until now still not available.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan