DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video issues, or par for the course?

ThisIsCusel

Reactions
I'm no photographer, and my gut tells me this is normal, but thought I would check with the experts. My assumption is that ND filters would go along way to alleviating these symptoms? Thanks for any input.

Cusel

Hi Cusel,

It looks as though you recorded that clip with the gimbal cover on. The sunlight is refracting into your lens from the plastic, which is good, but not perfect, especially as it picks up scuffs and scratches.
If you removed the gimbal cover to record that clip then it looks like your lens is dirty. ND filters won't make a difference to either of those problems. The best idea is to avoid shooting into the light.

I've just purchased a MyArmor Sunshade Glare Camera Lens Hood Case Cap from Amazon for the princely sum of £6, which clips in the same slots as the gimbal cover and works well to reduce unwanted lens flares, providing you don't fly too erratically.

No gimbal cover on. I will try cleaning the lens. Microfiber cloth ok to use?

Yes, but be very careful as the gimbal is very delicate. I would first fit the gimbal clamp to save strain on the gimbal while you clean the lens.

I cleaned the lens. This seems to be underneath. Could it be the root of the problem?

Thanks for any feedback. 20170409_213650.jpg

Reactions: BSW1968
I had another look at your video footage and don't think the mark above is to blame as the flare is all over the images. I really think it's simply the result of shooting towards the sun as there is no blemish visible when the lens is shielded from direct sunlight.

I'm looking for a bit more feedback. If this is normal I will deal with it, but it seems a bit extreme and if it is a bad sensor I should probably send it in. It's certainly frustrating as its hard to see on my display while flying, but easy to see once I check the footage.

All this is 2.7k @30fps. No gimbal dome and I cleaned the lens.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nothing wrong with your sensor. Clip 1 shows flare from low sunlight immediately to your right, followed by strobed shadows from same sunlight coming through your front props. Clips 2 & 3 show flares from low angle sun when it's close to your direction of shot. As you see, your pictures are great when the sun is further behind you. As I mentioned above, you will reduce this light pollution by fitting a bespoke lens hood.

For my peace of mind, when you get a chance could you post a video of yours exhibiting the same behavior?

Thanks

Perfectly normal, every lens/camera will do this, that's why we use lens hoods in photography. On the Mavic some use shades or are just careful of how they shoot to avoid sunlight hitting at the angles that cause it.

Are you talking about this streaking or blotchiness? This would concern me as well and I do not get this even when I shoot towards the light. This could be dirt or streaking on the inside of the outer lens glass. Happens a lot with DSLR cameras. It might only be visible when the light hits the glass from a certain angle. However. If you took a raw image and boosted the contrast a ton and lowered the highlights you might see it on the image. If the patterns of the streaks are consistent then the more likely than not that you'll need to send it back. Sorry the issues. Hope you get them resolved.

cfbfa3c785ced350208a82a7fd438089.jpg

Are you talking about this streaking or blotchiness? This would concern me as well and I do not get this even when I shoot towards the light. This could be dirt or streaking on the inside of the outer lens glass. Happens a lot with DSLR cameras. It might only be visible when the light hits the glass from a certain angle. However. If you took a raw image and boosted the contrast a ton and lowered the highlights you might see it on the image. If the patterns of the streaks are consistent then the more likely than not that you'll need to send it back. Sorry the issues. Hope you get them resolved.

cfbfa3c785ced350208a82a7fd438089.jpg

Yes the pattern remains consistent even as the angle of the camera changes in relation to the sun.

Here you go Cusel,
If you look at 04:05 you'll see some flaring at the top of the picture as the sun gets in the lens...
Great video! Thanks for sharing.

However, I disagree we are experiencing the same thing. Yours looks like a brief "sun flare" as opposed to the "blothches" that remain static on my shots. I'm ok with flare, as it is to be expected.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Ok, another example. This clip starts with "sun flare" (normal) then, I've highlighted the "blotches" that have been ruining my video.

Hi Cusel,
The flares are unusual, but in that the blotches disappear as you turn they still seem to be caused by being too closely pointed against the low sunlight. Have you fitted anything that might be causing reflections, such as a skin, or accessory? Have you tried fitting the lens hood I recommended?

Hi Cusel,
The flares are unusual, but in that the blotches disappear as you turn they still seem to be caused by being too closely pointed against the low sunlight. Have you fitted anything that might be causing reflections, such as a skin, or accessory? Have you tried fitting the lens hood I recommended?

Nothing fitted, and no sun hood yet. I know it is only a couple bucks, but I just had a $5000 tax bill and I need to refinance my house soon.

For what it is worth, I have gotten the blotches in the middle of the day with a high sun, as well as the sun lower in the sky.

Well, checked with DJI. They said the "smudge" under the glass is definitely a defect, and it very well may be causing the issues. They recommend that I send it in.

Bummer.

That's great customer service from DJI, offering to take it back to rectify the problem. Let us know how you get on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM