DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video quality question

Funnone

Reactions
I don't quite understand why, when recording a three minute video at, 2.7k at 50FPS I'm using 3 GB. It just seems excessive.

no...seems about right to me. I shoot 4K/60 normally and my mavic three cuts video into 3.76GB and they are typically about 3min so your 2.7K is lower res but 50fps and I'd expect that to somewhat balance that out. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: WanderLost
no...seems about right to me. I shoot 4K/60 normally and my mavic three cuts video into 3.76GB and they are typically about 3min so your 2.7K is lower res but 50fps and I'd expect that to somewhat balance that out. Makes sense to me.
OK....thank you for your information, Maybe i need to lower it to 1080/30. I'm eating up all my storage on my MacBook.

AK Drone- can I ask why you normally shoot at 4K/60? I have always been shooting with 4K/24 fps. I know this a basic question but your post prompted me to ask.

Dale

It's not uncommon for me to want to slow down a portion of my video so shooting at 60 lets me do that without any compromise. I know 24fps is a standard for cinematic movies but I'm entirely fine with the crisp video I get at 60 and I think a lot of folks are. I never shoot 24 because I have so much footage at 30 and 60 that I can interchange those frame rates with no real problem but cutting in 24 wouldn't cut it. If I were hired to make a movie....and wanted that cinematic motion blur I guess I'd shoot 24 but when flying at 2 or 400 feet there isn't much cinematic motion blur to be had anyway so I don't see the point for the landscape kind of work that I do. Occasionally I will fly close to the ground and choose to try get some motion blur while flying over things and then I'll shoot at 30 with a shutter speed of 60. The other issue that is common when shooting at 24 or even 30 is "judder". The causes of judder are complex but in general it's a combination of panning and shutter speed as well as the refresh rate of the screen you are watching the video on. I try to pan reasonably slowly but even at 30fps I would often see judder in my video and that kind of judder is virtually impossible to remove. Shooting at 60fps won't necessarily prevent it from EVER happening but it will dramatically reduce the occurrence of judder although eliminating it requires a very slow panning motion. I think that is probably the biggest reason to shoot 60 but of course how you fly and film will determine if judder is a problem. You can see a bunch of my stuff (if you haven't already) at https://www.youtube.com/@digibud/videos. And a good explanation of judder at
. Note that most computer screens have a refresh rate that is some multiple of 60 (yeah...not all...) so in almost every case shooting at 24 will be responsible for much worse judder for people like me that do a lot of landscape videography with panning a frequent occurrence. It's one reason why I do a lot of wide panos. If you shoot a wide panorama and then use keyframes in post to slide across the sky there is 0 judder :).

It's not uncommon for me to want to slow down a portion of my video so shooting at 60 lets me do that without any compromise. I know 24fps is a standard for cinematic movies but I'm entirely fine with the crisp video I get at 60 and I think a lot of folks are. I never shoot 24 because I have so much footage at 30 and 60 that I can interchange those frame rates with no real problem but cutting in 24 wouldn't cut it. If I were hired to make a movie....and wanted that cinematic motion blur I guess I'd shoot 24 but when flying at 2 or 400 feet there isn't much cinematic motion blur to be had anyway so I don't see the point for the landscape kind of work that I do. Occasionally I will fly close to the ground and choose to try get some motion blur while flying over things and then I'll shoot at 30 with a shutter speed of 60. The other issue that is common when shooting at 24 or even 30 is "judder". The causes of judder are complex but in general it's a combination of panning and shutter speed as well as the refresh rate of the screen you are watching the video on. I try to pan reasonably slowly but even at 30fps I would often see judder in my video and that kind of judder is virtually impossible to remove. Shooting at 60fps won't necessarily prevent it from EVER happening but it will dramatically reduce the occurrence of judder although eliminating it requires a very slow panning motion. I think that is probably the biggest reason to shoot 60 but of course how you fly and film will determine if judder is a problem. You can see a bunch of my stuff (if you haven't already) at https://www.youtube.com/@digibud/videos. And a good explanation of judder at
. Note that most computer screens have a refresh rate that is some multiple of 60 (yeah...not all...) so in almost every case shooting at 24 will be responsible for much worse judder for people like me that do a lot of landscape videography with panning a frequent occurrence. It's one reason why I do a lot of wide panos. If you shoot a wide panorama and then use keyframes in post to slide across the sky there is 0 judder :).
AK Drone-

I read your post with fascination and I am now perplexed as what I am going to do from here on out. For years (2015 going forward) I have been editing in Premiere Pro and shooting at 24 fps. In Premier Pro I can up or downsize the frame rate, as you know, so at the begining of a project, I converted all of my frame rates to 24.(such as Go Pro, Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket all shot at 24 or 30 fps).

I am soon to embark on a very exciting, expensive, and challenging trip to Kyrgystan, a place I would not be able to return to if I screwed up. Drones are freely accepted in this country, which is a central Asian landscape paradise of mountains, valleys, glaciers, unusual formations, etc. Of course I will also be doing some people in markets, and family life in yurts, and horsemen riding across the steppes, and training eagles.

So now, I am going to have to go out and practice some footage here locally to be sure I get the correct footage and frame rate I need. I guess you are saying that you shoot in 60 fps and convert your videos to a final product that is not 60 fps, or that you shoot and publish and view everything in 60 fps? Confused. Need follow up explanation.

Dale

AK Drone-

I read your post with fascination and I am now perplexed as what I am going to do from here on out. For years (2015 going forward) I have been editing in Premiere Pro and shooting at 24 fps. In Premier Pro I can up or downsize the frame rate, as you know, so at the begining of a project, I converted all of my frame rates to 24.(such as Go Pro, Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket all shot at 24 or 30 fps).

I am soon to embark on a very exciting, expensive, and challenging trip to Kyrgystan, a place I would not be able to return to if I screwed up. Drones are freely accepted in this country, which is a central Asian landscape paradise of mountains, valleys, glaciers, unusual formations, etc. Of course I will also be doing some people in markets, and family life in yurts, and horsemen riding across the steppes, and training eagles.

So now, I am going to have to go out and practice some footage here locally to be sure I get the correct footage and frame rate I need. I guess you are saying that you shoot in 60 fps and convert your videos to a final product that is not 60 fps, or that you shoot and publish and view everything in 60 fps? Confused. Need follow up explanation.

Dale
I often shoot at 60 but create a Final Cut Project at 30. That has virtually no impact on the resulting video since it’s a simply 2x pulldown. Exporting 30fps also makes for a smaller file. The clips that I import remain at 60 of course so if I choose to slow down something by 2 or even 4x there is little impact. If you are filming people and their movements, cars going by and such with a video camera, that 24fps might give you a much desired “cimematic” look that would be well matched by having your drone footage at 24fps. You might have to take great care when panning and do so very, very slowly. If you rarely pan then judder may not be a issue at all, nor may a desire to be able to do any slomo. Whatever you do, if you are using more than one camera, ensure they are all shooting at the same fps. 29.97 vs 30 makes no difference but 24 in one camera and 30 in another is a recipe for disaster. If you’re doing BRoll with your phone ( I do that often) also be sure its’ settings match your other cameras fps. On a super important trip like this I also suggest each flight be done with an sd card that does not have any clips that you have not downloaded. A friend spent all day shooting with a 400gb card and then piled his drone into a glacier. Incredible footage. All gone. I’m not perfect at it but after any flight with valuable footage I’ll swap cards to fly with a clean card. I have a lot of cards now :).

Judder is a usually an issue when the shutter speed of the recorded content is too short.

For example, recording a 30fps video at a shutter speed of 1/2000s is going to produce an extremely choppy and jittery footage because of the complete lack of any motion blur between frames.

Judder should not be an issue if the classic 180 degree rule is followed.

If shooting at 60fps (59.94fps), the shutter speed should be 1/120s.
If shooting 30fps (29.97fps), the shutter speed should be 1/60s.
If shooting 24fps (23.976fps), the shutter speed should be 1/48s, but because the drones (and most cameras) only change EV values at 1/3 stop increments, the closest allowable shutter speed that should be used is 1/50s.

These shutter speeds can be achieved in daytime conditions using variable apertures and/or Neutral Density filters.

Reactions: Bill Lorenz
Judder is a usually an issue when the shutter speed of the recorded content is too short.

For example, recording a 30fps video at a shutter speed of 1/2000s is going to produce an extremely choppy and jittery footage because of the complete lack of any motion blur between frames.

Judder should not be an issue if the classic 180 degree rule is followed.

If shooting at 60fps (59.94fps), the shutter speed should be 1/120s.
If shooting 30fps (29.97fps), the shutter speed should be 1/60s.
If shooting 24fps (23.976fps), the shutter speed should be 1/48s, but because the drones (and most cameras) only change EV values at 1/3 stop increments, the closest allowable shutter speed that should be used is 1/50s.

These shutter speeds can be achieved in daytime conditions using variable apertures and/or Neutral Density filters.
there are apparently more than one definition of judder. the video I referenced is the type of judder I was referring to. Your explanation won't prevent the kind of judder I was referencing.

OK....thank you for your information, Maybe i need to lower it to 1080/30. I'm eating up all my storage on my MacBook.
It’s absolutely true that external storage (and lots of it) is needed for video work. Get at least a 2TB “laptop” drive, meaning it is bus powered. It gets its power from the USB connection on your mac.

It’s absolutely true that external storage (and lots of it) is needed for video work. Get at least a 2TB “laptop” drive, meaning it is bus powered. It gets its power from the USB connection on your mac.
It's always my advice to buy external drives like that in pairs...one for your files...one for your backup of those files.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1