DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whazzup

Reactions
I flew above 200 ft in altitude for the first time yesterday and had trouble seeing my drone directly above me at 300-350 feet. I understand if I flew away from my position and was unable to see the drone, I would not be in compliance with VLOS rules. However, if you can't see the drone directly above you (and compliant with the 400 foot rule), are you in violation of VLOS rules. Many thanks (and apologizing in advance if it has been asked before -- unable to find on a search).

I don't see a question but I'm assuming you are asking is: If one flies their UAV up to <= 400 ft but cannot see their drone are they in violation of the FAA VLOS rule?

Yes they are in violation of that rule. I'm not judging, just interpreting.

Reactions: whazzup
The rule is very simple. If you see it you are in not breaking any rules. Maintaining VLOS is a fundamental requirement for safe RPA operations as it is the primary, and often only, means of avoiding other airborne traffic. “unaided visual contact at all times with the remotely piloted aircraft that is sufficient to be able to maintain operational control of the aircraft, know its location, and be able to scan the airspace in which it is operating to detect and avoid other aircraft or objects.”

Reactions: GFields and whazzup
I don't see a question but I'm assuming you are asking is: If one flies their UAV up to <= 400 ft but cannot see their drone are they in violation of the FAA VLOS rule?

Yes they are in violation of that rule. I'm not judging, just interpreting.
I see I missed the question mark on my question. Very astute.

That was my thought and I appreciate the timely response. I guess we’ll have to have have a 200 ft ceiling.

Reactions: GFields
The Visual Line of Sight rule applies to any direction.

That was my thought and I appreciate the timely response. I guess we’ll have to have have a 200 ft ceiling.
You should be able to see your drone a good distance beyond 200ft in the air above you..... one way to insure visibility would be to stand a greater distance away from the launch point so that the drone isn't directly above you when rising up. In my area, a height greater than 200ft is essential to maintain visibility and to avoid trees which can exceed 150ft of height.

If you really can't see your drone at that distance, a strobe light may be in order to extend your visibility.

One point, when standing upright, looking up and looking for a drone at height I find it difficult to judge what is literally vertically above my head i.e. I could be looking in the wrong bit of the sky. But normally this would manifest itself in my thinking "that's not vertically above me" or questioning if it was.
Could you be experiencing the same thing?

Thanks for the video. I could have satisfied all four questions except for actually seeing the dot in the sky when I was high in the sky. The Mini 3 is quiet so I couldn’t hear it, either. Again, looks like I will keep a 200 foot ceiling since that’s about as high as I can see. Appreciate the clarification.

If you have prescribed contacts or glasses they are permitted. It sounds like you have a vision issue maybe? You may also want to try a brightly colored skin for the drone as many people say they can spot their drone more easily that way. Probably well worth it to be able to get more out of the drone IMO.

I was wearing glasses. I think the issue is the true vertical parallax. I have been able to see in a distance several hundred feet, just not directly above me. Will take note next time.

the video in post #6 explains VLOS in a very good manner and as this subject has been talked about in so many threads over the years ,maybe its time to close it ,before it become a two sided debate, which is what usually happens

Reactions: MARK (LI)
the video in post #6 explains VLOS in a very good manner and as this subject has been talked about in so many threads over the years ,maybe its time to close it ,before it become a two sided debate, which is what usually happens
I flew above 200 ft in altitude for the first time yesterday and had trouble seeing my drone directly above me at 300-350 feet. I understand if I flew away from my position and was unable to see the drone, I would not be in compliance with VLOS rules. However, if you can't see the drone directly above you (and compliant with the 400 foot rule), are you in violation of VLOS rules. Many thanks (and apologizing in advance if it has been asked before -- unable to find on a search).
Yes , if you cannot see your drone because it’s to far away for your sight with or without spectacles, not any other assistance you are indeed breaking that rule, cheers Len

Reactions: old man mavic
Vlos , last week I was out with my mini 3 Pro photographing Llandaf Cathedral. I was standing on an old stone footbridge over a stream surrounded by trees . I did all my usual checks of surroundings making sure nobody was about in the area I wanted to fly . Took off flew directly up, checked drone was responsive to my input and started photographing . Looked down at my screen to adjust the angle of view from drone , looked up saw drone and wanted to pull back a bit but no response from drone it just stayed there. No matter how I moved the sticks it was just hover in place I could not figure out what was wrong . Then again looking at my screen I realised that the drone I was looking at was not mine as I was over the other side of Cathedral. I did not see another pilot in a football field the other side of the trees who must have arrived after me and assuming he did all the checks did not see my drone. Totally my fault if I had scanned the air more I would have seen my drone further away but thankfully I did not when trying different manoeuvres to get drone to move cause any problems. Just shows no matter how careful you are things can get confusing. Brought my drone back and went looking for fellow pilot and had an interesting chat, be careful fellow fliers things happen , cheers Len

Reactions: GFields
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13