DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS rule makes flights boring - do you follow it?

When do you follow VLOS rule?

• Always

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 86 32.6%
  • Sometimes, in certain situations

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Never

Votes: 9 3.4%

• Total voters
I'm not sure if bird strikes have resulted in any fatalities in manned aircraft strikes, surely there'd probably be SOME sort of case worldwide of it, an engine ingest / explosion etc.
I had a google, and a few stats sites came up, nothing I could see on this sort of database for fatal incident (except the odd bird of course) . . . an example .. .. ..
There have been many fatal aircraft crashes as a result of bird strikes. Here are just a few examples I Googled:

Reactions: SethB

Thought there’d have to be examples of aircraft / bird strike fatales somewhere.

“Globally, bird and other wildlife strikes killed more than 282 people and destroyed over 262 aircraft from 1988 -2017”

This is military aircraft only.
I wonder how many civilian light to heavy commercial examples ??

We certainly have the couple of confirmed strikes recorded between drones and aircraft in, what, some 9 years of so since consumer drones started becoming more readily available to the masses ?
(2013 first Phantom released.)

What can be found of a comparative list of fatal aircraft encounters with drones, and numbers of aircraft lost ?

I’ll be honest, i voted always but it was really after getting my commercial certification. The platform is so capable of flying 5000ft in the air and break through solid clouds and it comes so tempting. But I have found that there is a ton of things to explore with the camera vlos that currently I’m not as frustrated as I first was.

I believe most ppl lie about this.

Why?

Because most drone videos out there are long range, ergo it's not possible to do them and follow the spotter rules.

Reactions: thispilothere
I believe most ppl lie about this.

Why?

Because most drone videos out there are long range, ergo it's not possible to do them and follow the spotter rules.

That's a very strong accusation there! I have hours (maybe even days or weeks) of DATA to show you what operating within Regulations looks like. Granted you won't see any flights above the clouds, flights miles from my launch point, flights over a crowded stadium but you will find tons of video and pics that make me $$ without breaking a single rule.

Just because you see people breaking the rules on YT and FB doesn't mean we all do it all the time just like watching Grand Theft Auto doesn't mean we're all stealing cars and knocking off prostitutes . . . (SMH)

That's a very strong accusation there! I have hours (maybe even days or weeks) of DATA to show you what operating within Regulations looks like. Granted you won't see any flights above the clouds, flights miles from my launch point, flights over a crowded stadium but you will find tons of video and pics that make me $$ without breaking a single rule.
I think you are probably being modest and you have more like months if not years of data proving exactly what you say and you should be proud of it.

Just because you see people breaking the rules on YT and FB doesn't mean we all do it all the time just like watching Grand Theft Auto doesn't mean we're all stealing cars...(SMH)
😁 Its hard for me to believe you spend a lot of time if any playing Grand Theft Auto! But, if you do, the game must not have any illegal drone flying because you show no clinical signs of increased desensitization or tolerance for it over time....which is good sign in your case!

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
I think you are probably being modest and you have more like months if not years of data proving exactly what you say and you should be proud of it.

😁 Its hard for me to believe you spend a lot of time if any playing Grand Theft Auto! But, if you do, the game must not have any illegal drone flying because you show no clinical signs of increased desensitization or tolerance for it over time....which is good sign in your case!

Very proud of my stick time and the fun I've had doing this for many many years now.

No I've not played GTA other than dabbling in it back several years ago. I never got into it which is def a plus. I absolutely do believe being totally submerged in any type of VR situation tends to desensitize us to those situations in the Real World. That goes for violence, murder, sex, and just about anything else we can come up with. In some instances that's a part of Human Survival but in most cases it's a downfall of our society and we are reaping those rewards more and more each day.

Very well stated Chip.

Reactions: snowghost
So that looks like a really fun way to kill 600 bucks one of these days when I am feeling rich.

Mike
Feb 2022: Got the FW450... 1st Day & 2nd Battery... crashed it. Battery voltage indicator doesn't exist, when it gets low on Voltage it goes into RTH... to cancel you flip a 3 position Sw from 2 to 1, then back to 2 (Cancels RTH). In my excitement to avoid tree canopy, I flipped up to #1 , then down to #3 bottom stop for a instant while I found #2 Mid-Stop. That #3 bottom flipped it into 3D mode... motor & Rotor RPM increased and rotor's pitch changed into 3D... slamming it into the ground.

Parts arrived - Apr 14, 2022 - If you get on of these Heli's, you need Windows to run their SW Program to reprogram new components & calibrate compass (Older Macbook BootCamp). Also installed low voltage beeper as a precaution (baby is loud).

Not documented in their manual, but you can set the "Run" Sw to auto start the Timer, and set rear button to Reset Timer. You can do a Countdown or a Stopwatch.

Compared to my normal 230 & 360... this is really cool & fun. It still moves around a lot but not like a normal Heli.
Can actually fly a circle or nose in flying on a Heli now... very Cool.

Reactions: slozukimc
"Big Aircraft" can and do fly lower than the stated 150m. You need to account for MediVac, Fire Suppression, Search n Rescue, Utility Inspection/Repair/Construction, Law Enforcement, Crop Inspection/Dusting, Scenic Tours, and a host of other very valid reasons for a manned aircraft to routinely be below 150m.

I fly within VLOS to the best of my ability. There are times when I'll temporarily lose VLOS (behind a building etc) and when I do I will attempt to regain VLOS ASAP to stay within the FAA regulations for such.
Then I would suggest that you never fly near buildings where you know your quad is going to be lost to view, or are you saying that you 'accidently' sometimes fly behing building and lose LOS?

I have an Air 2 and an Air 2S and a MavicPro and only currently fly REC licnese (Need to finish my 107 study and take the test). I am a commercially rated full scale pilot. I'm used to folling the FAA rules.

When I fly I utilize a VO with a nice pair of binoculars (My daughter) and try to maintain VLOS all the timebut occasionally I lose it and the vast majority of times she has it in sight. If she loses it and so do I I work to get back VLOS ASAP. I know a lot of pilots including my Brother In-Law who still flys for FedEX through Polar. We learned in our 20's to not challenge the FAA rules as there is a lot more to lose than to gain when you break the rules or challenge the FAA. They are there for a reason.
If you were a "commercially rated full scale pilot" you would know more about how easy it is to get a Part 107...

"They" will know with Remote ID. One of the parameters is distance from the controller...
Wow had no idea it worked like that 😄

DON'T WORRY EVERYONE. IT MAY TAKE 1 TO TWO YEARS, BUT THE HACKERS OUT THEIR WILL BE ABLE TO PRODUCE CODE THAT ALTERS THE DATA RID SENDS OUT. Or, hardware they can attach to your drone that is programmed to specifically hit and alter the hidden RID transmission in the firmware will eventually come to fruition. Hackers don't rest when they know there is profit in it. With drone sales increasing, hackers can become rich.

DON'T WORRY EVERYONE. IT MAY TAKE 1 TO TWO YEARS, BUT THE HACKERS OUT THEIR WILL BE ABLE TO PRODUCE CODE THAT ALTERS THE DATA RID SENDS OUT. Or, hardware they can attach to your drone that is programmed to specifically hit and alter the hidden RID transmission in the firmware will eventually come to fruition. Hackers don't rest when they know there is profit in it. With drone sales increasing, hackers can become rich.
Well ain’t you a winner .

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4