DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VPS over water - sorry for beating a dead horse

This would only be correct in Active or Terrain mode, not in normal flight mode. In normal flight mode the Mavic does not adjust altitude automatically.
Dragonfly was somewhat right about this, but he just got the height wrong. It's actually about 1.5ft (0.5m). If the VPS and Landing Protection are both enabled, the Mavic will try to stay above this height in normal flight mode.

(Nitpicking here) Technically, this doesn't disable any sensors. The VPS will actually continue to measure and report the ultrasonic height readings. Turning off Landing Protection just changes the way the Mavic reacts to those readings.

I don't think it's nit picking.... it might be more information than most people care about but it's good, well thought out information (personally, I want info like this).

Reactions: JLane
Dragonfly was somewhat right about this, but he just got the height wrong. It's actually about 1.5ft (0.5m). If the VPS and Landing Protection are both enabled, the Mavic will try to stay above this height in normal flight mode.

It won't.

Darn I need to get my demo video done. That's it... I'm going to finish that thing tonight and get it posted.

My test was to have everything on and fly up a hill. The Mavic maintains it's altitude above the take off point, never rises with the land and then only stops from crashing into the hill due to the collision sensors detecting the rise in the hill.

Dragonfly, thank you very much for your time and your detailed explanation, also msinger thank you for your pictures. GT3 .. great idea, I'll copy this also and make notes .. ps not read everyone's but I'm sure there should be a few more thank u's :))

It won't.

Darn I need to get my demo video done. That's it... I'm going to finish that thing tonight and get it posted.

My test was to have everything on and fly up a hill. The Mavic maintains it's altitude above the take off point, never rises with the land and then only stops from crashing into the hill due to the collision sensors detecting the rise in the hill.

When flying forwards, the downward sensors can have a hard time properly sensing the rising ground in front, especially since the downward sensors are pointed rearward as the Mavic is pitched forward. This can mean that the Mavic isn't able to adjust its height in time. But try flying the Mavic forward just over a table or something. It will rise to 0.5m above the table.

Last edited:
When flying forwards, the downward sensors can have a hard time properly sensing the rising ground in front, especially since the downward sensors are pointed rearward as the Mavic is pitched forward. This can mean that the Mavic isn't able to adjust its height in time. But try flying the Mavic forward just over a table or something. It will rise to 0.5m above the table.

I've done a ton of testing on this and the Mavic, nor the P4's, do this (VPS did adjust height on the P3s). I do have a video going over this and will make it a point to finish it up tonight and can post it. My suspicion is that DJI remove this once they added forward collision sensors. Again, my thinking is that they figured it was better to rely on those sensors rather then them automatically adjusting the flight. That could lead to the drone rising and hitting something. What happens now is the drone simply stops it's forward movement.

Reactions: stuart kaynes
I've done a ton of testing on this and the Mavic, nor the P4's, do this (VPS did adjust height on the P3s). I do have a video going over this and will make it a point to finish it up tonight and can post it. My suspicion is that DJI remove this once they added forward collision sensors. Again, my thinking is that they figured it was better to rely on those sensors rather then them automatically adjusting the flight. That could lead to the drone rising and hitting something. What happens now is the drone simply stops it's forward movement.

I'll definitely be interested to see your video. I've tested it before myself. Started with the Mavic at 0.5m above the ground (the minimum it allows with Landing Protection on), and then flying it slowly over a raised concrete slab. When the Mavic detected the raised slab, it rose up until it again reached 0.5m ground clearance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes