DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

vps replaced by?

binsweden

Reactions
maybe a stupid question but i want to know...
when i start my mavic it shows vps on the bottom of the screen until i reach about 10 m then it changes to something else..a little man with a triangular sign...and the reading goes up to between 400 to sometimes 4000.
what is that?
should it be like that or is something wrong?

i have done calibration of the vps and compass.
thankfull for answers.

Funnily enough, I think I've seen that and was considering asking the same question, (so no, it is not stupid!!).
I was going to wait until more flying (hopefully within the next 8 hours) during which I had planned on looking more closely.
My observations so far had not captured the 'VPS' being present then disappearing, but that may be because I just hadn't logged that information in my head.
I had decided that the 'triangular sign' you mention is actually the 'black and white arrow head' which DJI use to signify the aircraft.
I had wondered if the numbers, which I hadn't logged in detail, showed the direct distance between the pilot (the man) and the aircraft.
But to what purpose?
I had also determined that I couldn't find the symbol in v1.4 of the manual, (making it legitimate to ask the question, whilst avoiding the RTFM response :)

Regards.

in my case the number goes to about 400 right away after i climbed over 10m and i have seen it go to 4000 when im only a couple of 100m away from my starting point, so i dont think it can be the distance between the pilot and aircraft..but it would be the right thing to belive beacuse the sign looks like it could mean that.

It's supposed to show the straight line distance between the Mavic and you (the RC). If you're seeing hugely fluctuating numbers, it could be that either you or the Mavic have a poor GPS lock. When you look on the map on your screen, does it show your location with good accuracy?

I did some more flying within the 8 hours, but I wasn't only focussed on this situation.
Rising vertically from take-off, as you are supposed to, rising until the aircraft was at, or close to, the maximum height for the VPS, the display was 'VPS' and a number which was close to, but not the same as, the Vertical height shown close by. I accept the difference as a minor anomaly caused by the readings being taken by different sensors.

After that, there was no obvious and continuous frame of reference between the display in question and the Vertical height.
'VPS' changed to 'man and aircraft' symbol, but the numbers, while they initially rose as the vertical climb was maintained, then started to fall, even when continuing straight up to the ceiling of 30 Metres (in Beginner mode).

I never saw numbers as high as 4,000, but compared to P or S mode the aircraft was always closer to the Controller.

I did look at the map on the screen, always when prompted to check the Home Point, and several times after that while I was trying to check by instrument the direction the aircraft was facing, in relation to my position.
My location in relation to a local building and road (both over 50 metres away) was always accurate.

As I have other Mavic priorities, I think it's time for someone else to augment this research; I will simply wait on any conclusions.

Regards.

I solved it my self... thanks for all the help guys(or maybe girls too:))
"It's supposed to show the straight line distance between the Mavic and you (the RC)"said JLane ..and that was correct ,but the problem was that my gps on the phone was off(rookie error:() and therefore the reading was totally off and as soon as i turned it on the reading was correct.
i didnt think the phone and the mavic "talked "to each other i only thought the controller and mavic "talked"
again thx for the help..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78