DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warning IMU heading exception in flight please switch to Atti mode

had a crash with my mavic it was 200ft up and 400ft away in LOS at all times I banked right and the warning came up lost gps Atti mode then another warning IMU heading exception in flight switch to Atti mode if craft behaves abnormally (using) to with I had no input on the sticks it took of on me heading for a residential area to which I had no control I would like to know why it done this on a £1000 quad you think there would be more failsafes on board now am left with a damaged quad and waiting for DJI to get back to me just wondering did this ever happen to anyone else
So I sent my mavic back for the second time for a camera/focus issue. Both times the said that they repaired the camera and gimbal for a cost of $175 which they warranteed. Actually they just gave me a refurb unity back the first time and said they fixed it. Today I received back my "repair" back for the second time with the same description, but this time they actually replaced the unit with what appears to be a new one (why wouldn't they tell you that they were giving you a brand new one?) anyway I opened the box, turned it on and it wanted me to do a firmware update. I did, then restarted, then did a complete IMU calibration, then restarted. I brought it out side and did a compass recalibration. I flew 200ft away and 124ft up and as I was turning back around I got the exact same error messages as you (see screen capture). I lost control and the bird just started flying away. Fortunately I was able to regain control and land it. I got on tech support chat with DJI (Generally useless) and after a half hour of no help, he tells be that I have to send it back. Now furious I call to get a supervisor and surprisingly I did. He was incredibly nice and got me on with a tech guy that told be that a software error during my firmware update was probably the issue and told me to do the following. Go into DJI Assistant and do a factory reset. Then downgrade the firmware to the previous version and restart the mavic. Then upgrade back to the newest version of the firmware. Then restart. Then go to the calibration tab and do a calibration. Then unplug from the computer and do an IMU calibration (something EVERYONE SHOULD ALWAYS DO after a firmware update as well as reset all of you settings especially you RTH settings) After IMU calibration restart. Lastly take it outside and do a compass recalibration. At that point it should fine. So I did all that and had one very close and cautious flight. I will keep everyone posted as I fly more. The only real problem for me is that I don't feel like I trust it anymore. It is however a great reminder why EVERYONE should ALWAYS fly LOS. Remember without a GPS it can't RTH as it has no idea where it or home is. And without compass you have no idea what direction it is pointing and you are flying in.

So I sent my mavic back for the second time for a camera/focus issue. Both times the said that they repaired the camera and gimbal for a cost of $175 which they warranteed. Actually they just gave me a refurb unity back the first time and said they fixed it. Today I received back my "repair" back for the second time with the same description, but this time they actually replaced the unit with what appears to be a new one (why wouldn't they tell you that they were giving you a brand new one?) anyway I opened the box, turned it on and it wanted me to do a firmware update. I did, then restarted, then did a complete IMU calibration, then restarted. I brought it out side and did a compass recalibration. I flew 200ft away and 124ft up and as I was turning back around I got the exact same error messages as you (see screen capture). I lost control and the bird just started flying away. Fortunately I was able to regain control and land it. I got on tech support chat with DJI (Generally useless) and after a half hour of no help, he tells be that I have to send it back. Now furious I call to get a supervisor and surprisingly I did. He was incredibly nice and got me on with a tech guy that told be that a software error during my firmware update was probably the issue and told me to do the following. Go into DJI Assistant and do a factory reset. Then downgrade the firmware to the previous version and restart the mavic. Then upgrade back to the newest version of the firmware. Then restart. Then go to the calibration tab and do a calibration. Then unplug from the computer and do an IMU calibration (something EVERYONE SHOULD ALWAYS DO after a firmware update as well as reset all of you settings especially you RTH settings) After IMU calibration restart. Lastly take it outside and do a compass recalibration. At that point it should fine. So I did all that and had one very close and cautious flight. I will keep everyone posted as I fly more. The only real problem for me is that I don't feel like I trust it anymore. It is however a great reminder why EVERYONE should ALWAYS fly LOS. Remember without a GPS it can't RTH as it has no idea where it or home is. And without compass you have no idea what direction it is pointing and you are flying in.
Great recap and a clear reminder to ALL of the DJI apologists out there that updates are far from safe or perfect. DJI was obviously aware of the bug. That is a LOT of work just to get the Mavic to a normal operating condition through no fault of your own. Cue the anecdotally minded apologists who are going to say "I haven't had a problem therefore there are no problems." Haha.

Reactions: ac30
Great recap and a clear reminder to ALL of the DJI apologists out there that updates are far from safe or perfect. DJI was obviously aware of the bug. That is a LOT of work just to get the Mavic to a normal operating condition through no fault of your own. Cue the anecdotally minded apologists who are going to say "I haven't had a problem therefore there are no problems." Haha.
I know what you mean. I have been flying for 4 years. I have owed and flown every Drone DJI has ever made. I am FFA licensed and take it very seriously. That said, yes there is always going to be that guy that will tell you "everything is fine, it must be you". And, in fairness this was only my second mechanical failure in 4 years. The other was a faulty barometer that would not let me keep altitude regardless of stick input and I ended up at the bottom of a lake. DJI did look at the data log and gave me a new phantom 4 no questions asked. Here's my problem and there is really no way around it. How can I trust it again. I am now scared to put the mavic up and away for fear that it will happen again. Unlike most issues as long as you have GPS, RTH is there to save you. and if not compass will tell you which way to fly back if there is and issue. But without both you are in big trouble and could really hurt someone.

Yeah
I know what you mean. I have been flying for 4 years. I have owed and flown every Drone DJI has ever made. I am FFA licensed and take it very seriously. That said, yes there is always going to be that guy that will tell you "everything is fine, it must be you". And, in fairness this was only my second mechanical failure in 4 years. The other was a faulty barometer that would not let me keep altitude regardless of stick input and I ended up at the bottom of a lake. DJI did look at the data log and gave me a new phantom 4 no questions asked. Here's my problem and there is really no way around it. How can I trust it again. I am now scared to put the mavic up and away for fear that it will happen again. Unlike most issues as long as you have GPS, RTH is there to save you. and if not compass will tell you which way to fly back if there is and issue. But without both you are in big trouble and could really hurt someone.
Yeah. I'd start with shorter flights. Take quite few. Gain confidence in the current version. And then DON'T UPDATE unless you are forced to. I'm still running 4 and will stay on it until I have no choice for some reason.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan