DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Water deep enough to cover M2Z, lights blinking underwater, was M2Z sucking in water through front cooling ports?

remotepilot

Reactions
Greetings Everyone,

A user error on my part and the M2Z went into a small pool that is part of a stream. The M2Z was in the water for less than one minute before retrieval. While the M2Z was in the pool I could see the green and red lights still blinking so the M2Z was obviously still operating in the water. As soon as I retrieved the M2Z, I turned it off, took the battery out as well as the MicroSD.

Question: While the M2Z was in the water with green and red lights blinking, was the M2Z sucking water in the front cooling ports and dumping the water into the M2Z?

When I got home I put the M2Z in a small air tight bag (M2Z arms extended, of course) with anhydrous calcium chloride (Drying out a drone) which will dry out anything. I got it out today (72 hours later), put in a different, fully charged battery and it turned on. However, the fan is not to be heard.

While it was on and not yet hot, the RC tried to make a connection with the M2Z, but couldn't. After only a few minutes with the M2Z on, the bottom became quite hot and so I shut everything down.

Is this repairable? Does the M2Z need a new internal fan? What other damage was possibly done?

Any questions and / or information would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I love this forum! I've learned so much here and I have everyone to thank.

Peace and Regards,

remotepilot

The vents provide an obvious means for water to enter however they are only one of many. The M2 is not designed for water immersion.

You can be 100% confident water found its way inside.

Reactions: Grimrpr13
The problem is that it was powered on in the water so the damage was done before you got a chance to get it dried out.
Hopefully any damage is minor & not an expensive fix.

Reactions: Grimrpr13
The problem is that it was powered on in the water so the damage was done before you got a chance to get it dried out.
Hopefully any damage is minor & not an expensive fix.
This is not necessarily the case. Despite what seems to be a prevailing misconception to the contrary fresh water usually has low conductivity.

Greetings Everyone,

A user error on my part and the M2Z went into a small pool that is part of a stream. The M2Z was in the water for less than one minute before retrieval. While the M2Z was in the pool I could see the green and red lights still blinking so the M2Z was obviously still operating in the water. As soon as I retrieved the M2Z, I turned it off, took the battery out as well as the MicroSD.

Question: While the M2Z was in the water with green and red lights blinking, was the M2Z sucking water in the front cooling ports and dumping the water into the M2Z?
View attachment 74454

When I got home I put the M2Z in a small air tight bag (M2Z arms extended, of course) with anhydrous calcium chloride (Drying out a drone) which will dry out anything. I got it out today (72 hours later), put in a different, fully charged battery and it turned on. However, the fan is not to be heard.

While it was on and not yet hot, the RC tried to make a connection with the M2Z, but couldn't. After only a few minutes with the M2Z on, the bottom became quite hot and so I shut everything down.

Is this repairable? Does the M2Z need a new internal fan? What other damage was possibly done?

Any questions and / or information would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I love this forum! I've learned so much here and I have everyone to thank.

Peace and Regards,

remotepilot

Dont panic, the very fact that the lights were still on is a good sign that nothing shorted out.

Let it dry , dont keep messing with it, and when you come home from work attempt to connect.

Make sure you dry out the battery compartment above all else.

Both the motors and the camera should be ok, as long as you dont short it out .

There is however a good chance that the battery has been compromised so watch out for that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mavic in and out of the Storm.
Coal

Reactions: remotepilot
Yes, I have the DJI Care Refresh program. That's what I've been reading about. I suppose it helps to have a law degree to understand it fully ?

Yes, I have the DJI Care Refresh program. That's what I've been reading about. I suppose it helps to have a law degree to understand it fully ?

You must have a drone to return so the fact that yours did not sink into the Marianas Trench is a good omen! It can be in 6,000 pieces just gather and ship! (g)

• Haha
Not living near sea or ocean is OK with me. Of course, someday I want to fly over The Great Salt Lake which is just a few miles down the road. ; )

Not living near sea or ocean is OK with me. Of course, someday I want to fly over The Great Salt Lake which is just a few miles down the road. ; )

Oh wow, lots to shoot there- that spiral rock jetty, the colored edges where salty and fresh inflow waters join, etc. Be careful there though, it’s instant death if your drone goes down in that lake!

Man my lights were on when i went into 10 foot of water everything still functions as new! Soon as i got it out i pulled the battery and shook it out. It was not full of water, just to be safe i put it under fans on front and back for 48 hours! Cant blve everything was fine but it was.
69d046b85a2abc4332a060c3a8028c47.jpg

The image is from the test flight, fan, camera, everything worked as it shld [emoji246]

Oh wow, lots to shoot there- that spiral rock jetty, the colored edges where salty and fresh inflow waters join, etc. Be careful there though, it’s instant death if your drone goes down in that lake!

Mine went down 10 ft of water at the lake and is fine! MavicGator baby lol [emoji246]

Man my lights were on when i went into 10 foot of water everything still functions as new! Soon as i got it out i pulled the battery and shook it out. It was not full of water, just to be safe i put it under fans on front and back for 48 hours! Cant blve everything was fine but it was.
69d046b85a2abc4332a060c3a8028c47.jpg

The image is from the test flight, fan, camera, everything worked as it shld [emoji246]
I’m happy it worked out that way for you. There won’t be a “next time” for me. Once is enough... ?

Mine went down 10 ft of water at the lake and is fine! MavicGator baby lol [emoji246]

Glad yours is well, Did it go down in the salt water or in one of the freshwater input streams of the lake? I’m frankly quite surprised it still works, especially since you didn’t rinse out the salt water, either.

Last week I helped a local flyer analyze his log (crashed it in a lake) and even retrieved the drone for him.

I completely disassembled it to dry off each PCB and unfortunately it's a complete write off.

DJI did not build these to resist any water ingress. The body shell is not sealed and water will definitely enter through the various ventilation ports, upper hinge arms and the gimbal bay. I've spotted at least 2 water-damage stickers (turn pink when in contact with water).

If you get it out fast enough, obviously the results may vary but I would definitely recommend full disassembly to dry it out. The M2 is surprisingly easy to take apart / put back together. Far easier than the original M1P.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian